List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jake Waterman

Remove this Banner Ad

Monocle Eastern Rangers AsterixTheGaul How was Watermans contested marking as a junior? Could he potentially be an undersized CHF like a Darling one day?
Really love his footy smarts and passing inside 50. Over the weekend one of the commentators made the point that Waterman kicks it to his fellow forwards like he would like to receive at as a forward. Only Buddy, JK and Walker possess that sort of footy IQ and skills. His action looks dodgy but he gets the results.

Monocle Eastern Rangers AsterixTheGaul How was Watermans contested marking as a junior? Could he potentially be an undersized CHF like a Darling one day?
Really love his footy smarts and passing inside 50. Over the weekend one of the commentators made the point that Waterman kicks it to his fellow forwards like he would like to receive at as a forward. Only Buddy, JK and Walker possess that sort of footy IQ and skills. His action looks dodgy but he gets the results.

Two features of his junior football ability have always stood out for me .

1. He always exhibited a high Footy IQ. As did his father.
2. His contested marking has always been a strong point ( Again as was his father ), actually its an outstanding attribute and has always been real point of difference.

Could he do the Jack Darling role as an undersized CHF ?????........ possibly...... however , I think Oscar Allen will be better suited to that role.

I see Jake being an outstanding wingman that can take a grab an Andrew Embley clone if you like.
Jake has always had a good tank and when he played HFF at Claremont he floated high up the ground and marked all that came his way.

My one concern about him as a junior was that he was very outside and if that remained the case it would be much harder for him to impose himself on the game , because players that are all outside and don't get their own football are much easier to nullify.
So far at AFL he has been ok at getting enough of his own footy so that would appear as an area that he has worked on.

He is only a fledgling at this stage but all the signs are looking very promising.

I still see the Embley likeness and expectation as being apt.

Last edited:
Two features of his football ability have always stood out for me .

2. His contested marking has always been a strong point ( Again as was his father ), actually its an outstanding attribute and has always been real point of difference.

Could he do the Jack Darling role as an undersized CHF ?????........ possibly...... however , I think Oscar Allen will be better suited to that role.

I see Jake being an outstanding wingman that can take a grab an Andrew Embley clone if you like.
Jake has always had a good tank and when he played HFF at Claremont he floated high up the ground and marked all that came his way.

My one concern about him as a junior was that he was very outside and if that remained the case it would be much harder for him to impose himself on the game , because players that are all outside and don't get their own football are much easier to nullify.
So far at AFL he has been ok at getting enough of his own footy so that would appear as an area that he has worked on.

He is only a fledgling at this stage but all the signs are looking very promising.

Waterman has a strong, mobile frame and could definitely become faster after a couple more pre-seasons. He'll be more of a 3rd-tall option that pushes hard up the ground, but doesn't have the agility or burst to do as much around a stoppage as Embley. Definitely a better mark, though.

Last edited:

Could possibly see him as a winger but more likely a high forward.
Love his ability to read the game and has that rare skill of knowing when to run accross the game much like Chris.
Continually runs into space mainly under the radar, bobs up when and where you least expect him.
This is clearly by design and not by chance.
Will have a long successful career. His family has a long sporting pedigree on both sides and it shows.

Interesting you see an Embley in him. Would love to see him become an Embley but to me Embley was quick and had a mobility/agility of midfielder. I don't think Waterman is slow or moves like the Q Stick, he still moves like your typical 190 odd cm Key tall. Think Tom Lynch (crows) HFF/wing is the most realistic of positions for him.

Interesting you rate O.Allen as more of a 3rd tall prospect. Waterman to me seems like he is more built than Darling was at 20 and as mobile as Darling at that age( Better endurance, not as quick/explosive). From What i have seen of him from highlights and and Last weeks game, O.Allen seems like he more mobile and has better agility compared to Waterman.

Hopefully O.Allen can be turned into a Yeo type Midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I like most about Jake is his leading patterns. JD at this stage of his career basically never leads to the ball and prefers to wrestle or lead back to goal, so Snake leading away and out creates good space in our forward line.

Hard to do when JK was there as he'd attract so much of the ball. I should say not hard but you don't get rewarded nearly as often.

Think he's in a prime spot now to become a genuinely good AFL level forward.

Anyone watching WAFL and paying attention knew he had this potential.

It's really good to see him coming into his own with more opportunity.

I told my Freo supporting mate late last year that Jake was someone I'd have been throwing a contract at if I were Freo. Stand by that.

4 goals is great, but he'll never be any good until he can kick 5 goals!

Actually kicking goals when a game isn’t dead and buried would be a decent marker

I haven’t death ridden Jake the past four weeks.. I still think he won’t be anymore than he is, a back up who might do something every so often but no doubt he will get to extend his time out to 8 years Nelson style. Bravo Jake

Actually kicking goals when a game isn’t dead and buried would be a decent marker

I haven’t death ridden Jake the past four weeks.. I still think he won’t be anymore than he is, a back up who might do something every so often but no doubt he will get to extend his time out to 8 years Nelson style. Bravo Jake
Do you wake up extra early to be a hater or do you skip lunch?

He kicked the first goal of the match on Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back