List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jake Waterman

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the huge change to Watermans game? Nothing.

It's just the opportunity and being more of a focus in the forward line with us getting more of the ball in there and getting it in faster.

He's not a huge talent but 2 elite AFL attributes. Footy IQ and finishing. He is also close to elite in his endurance and his preparation. Agility is average at best, speed average at best, undersized for his role. Above average overhead, particularly for his height but mainly due to his Footy IQ.

Not sure if anyone else heard it but apparently Snake has overhauled his diet, given up the piss and came back from his two week off season trip early to start preseason.

I won't accuse him of not taking footy seriously enough before his illness but for better or worse it's been a wake up call for him and sounds like he's become very professional in his approach to his body. Reaping the rewards big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like he's always been a forward, having seen him in the WAFL playing there. Has done what he has had to do to get games in other positions throughout the years but is now in a more natural position for his strengths.

Not as good a field kick as Darling further up the ground but he's a hard worker, great leading patterns and a good set shot. Puts in on defence as well so his best position is closer to goal.

Darling's better up the field imo due to his kicking but he can't cover the ground like Waterman can.

He leads a lot and keeps moving, he's creating his own space the same way JK used to.

What is the huge change to Watermans game? Nothing.

It's just the opportunity and being more of a focus in the forward line with us getting more of the ball in there and getting it in faster.

He's not a huge talent but 2 elite AFL attributes. Footy IQ and finishing. He is also close to elite in his endurance and his preparation. Agility is average at best, speed average at best, undersized for his role. Above average overhead, particularly for his height but mainly due to his Footy IQ.

What changed?

Three things.

He lost weight and is covering the ground much better. He looked heavy in the hips last few years. Now off the booze so more professional.

He is finally being played as a FF his best position. Not being pushed down the ground.

And we are actually winning centre bounces and clearances. Reid especially has another 5 to 10 meter depth to his kicking. And generally we are kicking inside 50 much more effectively.

So three major things have changed here with Waterman.

Last edited:
Signs of progress were there last year.

Still only 25, birthday in around two weeks, so he'll be around at least for another five or so years.

Like everyone else (or almost everyone else), I hope he continues on this trajectory, will provide a good combination with Allen now that we actually get the footy inside our 50.

Jake is the same height as Darling so an easy swap moving forward. Although Darling was previously regarded as a reasonable endurance athlete, which helped offset his smaller height for a key forward, I don't recall him being at the same levels that we are currently seeing from Waterman.

I think Darling was more strength, balance and speed (early days anyway).

Waterman would be fitter than Darling even in his prime.
Tbh for all of Darling’s massive upper body and his judo abilities, he often seems to really struggle to move defenders off the line and outbody them in marking contests. You’d think he’d ragdoll most players.

Waterman’s bodywork has been very very good in the last fortnight. Never seen him play so well

Strength and speed yes. Balance no.
Darling keeps his feet over ground balls and rarely loses them on the lead.

Allen for example early days was flying at marks, not grabbing them and not being able to give any second efforts as he was on the floor.

Unless Darling gets nudged he's usually landing back on his feet even when he does fly for the mark. Very good at contesting the spillage I think.

Tbh for all of Darling’s massive upper body and his judo abilities, he often seems to really struggle to move defenders off the line and outbody them in marking contests. You’d think he’d ragdoll most players.

Waterman’s bodywork has been very very good in the last fortnight. Never seen him play so well
It's a weird one, as he holds his own in the ruck very well and is strong in the tackle, not many bring him to ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back