State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to those players that made it. Otis Harvey needs to be in that squad from my observations last year and this year unless i am unaware he is
Basil Hart an interesting omission, 16’s state MVP and has made an instant impact since returning from injury for peel.

Congrats to those players that made it. Otis Harvey needs to be in that squad from my observations last year and this year unless i am unaware he is injured.
Not sure how Luke Cotellessa missed out outstanding midfield talent

Clearly not rewarding early season form in state selection if you overlay futbolistas votes against the team selection.

Even the timing is a bit odd. Seems like the squad was selected weeks ago.

I was waiting for the thankyou Mr and Mrs relative
Understand Over My Head GIF by ABC Network

An indepth look at the initial WA state squad, those from the summer squad who missed out and those who were extremely unlucky to not make either squad.

Initial WA squad of 30 with more to be added.
+ Over Age
** Below Age
Note-Some of the height listings haven't been updated for a year or more so I gave it my best guess.

Aiden Riddle+ (CL) 199cm Ruck
Bo Allan (PT) 191cm Defender/Utility
Charlie Burke (S) 183cm Midfield/Wing
Will.Hayes (CL) 179cm Wing/Forward
Cody Curtin** (CL) 197cm Defender
Loch MacTaggart (P) 184cm Midfield/Defender
Jaxon Artemis (SF) 184cm Midfield
Oscar Willis** (CL) 189cm Defender
Blake Kelly** (SD) 182cm Midfield
Cody Angove (CL) 182cm Wing/Forward
Darcy Peterson (PT) 192cm Defender
Austin Van Der Struyf (CL) 180cm Midfield
Malakai Champion (S) 172cm Forward/Midfield
Max Rohr+ (CL) 197cm Ruckman
Trent Hiscock (WP) 190cm Defender/Midfield
Hugh Boxshall (CL) 187cm Midfield/Defender
Deian Roberts (PT) 185cm Midfield
Charlie Banfield** (CL) 188cm Forward/Midfield
Hayden Windsor (S) 192cm Key Back/Key Forward
Clancy Dennis (CL) 194cm Defender
Koby Evans** (P) 187cm Forward
Jaxon Douglas (CL) 188cm Utility/Defender
Luke Urquhart (EF) 190cm Forward/Midfield
Anthony Hansen (SD) 173cm Forward
Fred Rodriguez** (SF) 182cm Midfield
Colby McDonald (SD) 191cm Forward
Wesley Walley Jnr** (S) 181cm Forward
Kayle Gerreyn (WP) 199cm Forward/Ruck
Matthew Becker** (PT) 190cm Key Forward/Key Back
Hamish Davis (CL) 190cm Forward

Players who were part of the WA summer squad but missed out on the updated squad

Thomas Cathcart (SD/Inj) 190cm Defender
Sage Clarke (Wesley College) Unknown
Basil Hart** (PT) 185cm Forward
Cooper Moore (P) 170cm Midfield
Harrison Heaton** (SF/Inj) 193cm Forward
Toby Whan** (SF/Inj) 182cm Midfield/Defender
Luke Bennett (PT) 184cm Defender/Utility
Hudson Pivac (SF/Inj) 194cm Ruck/Key Position
Otis Harvey (SD) 183cm Midfield
Darcy Montgomery** (S/Inj) 191cm Forward
Robert Warrell (P) 172cm Forward
Max Skerritt** (SF) 186cm Forward
Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 199cm Ruck/Forward
Jesse Grant (PT) 183cm Defender
Tore Nelson (S) 188cm Defender
Orlando Keleman (SF) 186cm Forward
Joel Brown (PT) 194cm Defender
Chayse Martinson (SD/Inj) 181cm Midfield

Players who were unlucky not to have made either squad and must surely still be in contention

Luke Cotellessa (SD) 183cm Midfield
Marcus Cassidy** (EP) 188cm Midfield/Forward
Harrison Creighton (SD) 185cm Midfield/Forward
Andre Gulluni (EP) 180cm Wing/Defender
Jayden Rigoll (WP) 187cm Midfield
Koopa Walsh (S) 191cm Forward

Last edited:
It’s so disappointing with all the efforts put in by the boys and parents to have a squad chosen after only two games. This is unfair as a lot of the boys haven’t been given the opportunity to prove themselves.
What’s up with this? State Selectors….????

It’s so disappointing with all the efforts put in by the boys and parents to have a squad chosen after only two games. This is unfair as a lot of the boys haven’t been given the opportunity to prove themselves.
I believe it’s AFL clubs who nominate is the main driver behind who is selected.

It's not finalised yet.

Adam Jones from the Talent Academy has made it clear that at least 5 more players will be added. Well, he said 5 but if a couple of the listed guys get injured then it's 7 and so forth.

Moreover there are always players who miss state selection and then make a late season charge at the draft.

I never lose hope for any player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, there is something to be said to play in the WAFL - if not drafted.

A competition that has survived two world wars...lasted over 130 years.....still get's very good TV ratings and immense social media hits and in at least one game per week get's a bumper crowd - not to mention that the players usually play the Grand Final on the hallowed turf of Optus Stadium.

The WAFL players get to live a normal life. Are able to go out for a beer during the week without too much attention (or autograph signing requests) and usually with their local sweetheart rather than a supermodel who mysteriously appeared in their AFL bubble. And they don't have odd characters who waltz in offering unusual free things. (well, free the first 3 times)

Some of the WAFL players are on a good buck or two and all are able to pursue a lifelong career beyond football with the extra time and the necessity to look past 24 hour a day footy.

If I had girls or boys in the footy system, I'd almost count it as a blessing if they get to live a normal WAFL life - but yeah I get the dream - I understand that the AFL is the glamour profession and I truly hope the kids get to live their dream.

But if not, playing in the WAFL is pretty awesome......I would have done anything to play just one league game.

Last edited:
Also, there is something to be said to play in the WAFL - if not drafted.

A competition that has survived two world wars...lasted over 130 years.....still get's very good TV ratings and immense social media hits and in at least one game per week get's a bumper crowd - not to mention that the players usually play the Grand Final on the hallowed turf of Optus Stadium.

The WAFL players get to live a normal life. Are able to go out a beer during the week without too much attention and usually with their local sweetheart rather than a supermodel who mysteriously appeared in their AFL bubble. And they don't have odd characters who waltz in offering unusual free things.

Some of the WAFL players are on a good buck or two and all are able to pursue a lifelong career beyond football with the extra time and the necessity to look past 24 hour a day footy.

If I had girls or boys in the footy system, I'd almost count it as a blessing if they get to live a normal WAFL life - but yeah I get the dream - I understand that the AFL is the glamour profession and I truly hope the kids get to live their dream.
:clapping::clapping:

Who goes out to bring someone else in?

Only so many spots and positions unfortunately.

You could pick another squad to match this one. There is nothing between a lot of the kids. They need more exposure. 2/3 games is NOT enough.
Don't worry too much yet. Even the Academy guy said we didn't have enough time. So at least 5 more spots are available.

Please don't mention your boys' name here but which club does he play for - I'm guessing SD/SF/EF based on what you are saying.

And did he make either of the three lists I posted?

Don't worry too much yet. Even the Academy guy said we didn't have enough time. So at least 5 more spots are available.

Please don't mention your boys' name here but which club does he play for - I'm guessing SD/SF/EF based on what you are saying.

And did he make either of the three lists I posted?
I’d rather not mention any details of my involvement. They normally pick a squad at 6/7 games in and not SO many from a junior year? It’s not fair or right. That’s my opinion. Thanks for your time in responding.

I’d rather not mention any details of my involvement. They normally pick a squad at 6/7 games in and not SO many from a junior year? It’s not fair or right. That’s my opinion. Thanks for your time in responding.
Well, truth be told mate, it's normally after 4 rounds. But fear not the final squad this year might not be chosen until after round 8 or so.

I will say in your defence that the selectors/AFL clubs are really pushing below agers this year which confuses me somewhat....especially how they've rushed the Claremont players through so quickly.. It's like they think 2025 is their big one.

But you know, as I said on an earlier post, State 18's/AFL draft isn't the be all and end all.

A good and happy life is though, with a great partner and a WAFL career and a nice job.

Interesting take,

fair or right is probably a stretch? A lot of these selections were probably picked based off Summer squad form with early season form being the sealer.

As others have said, there’s still spots up for grab. If your relation is good enough I’m sure they’ll secure the spot.

I pretty firmly believe the bottom agers selected will contribute as much as the 18’s and have well earned their spots, I’d even consider some stiff to miss.

A question I would ask is......I've got nothing against the posh private school guys from the mighty monts.

But surely it's either Hayes or Angove from Claremont? They are almost clones!

I',m no SD supporter by any means but WA needs meat and potato in and under players. Luke Cotelessa 26 and 28 disposals, Otis Harvey 27 and 25. To make the draftaable players look good you need some bullockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back