State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Been busy this week so only the first time I have had a look at this, but I did do up what I thought the team would look like and am also pretty shocked about no Contellessa or Harvey; they were what I was expecting was going to be the centre square team and provide the more experienced bodies (as you pointed out).

Clearly Kelly is featuring in their thinking but.....
Would love seeing your line-up mate with a possible 7 interchange to bring it to 25 players. I'm not brave enough yet to try it.

Would love seeing your line-up mate with a possible 7 interchange to bring it to 25 players. I'm not brave enough yet to try it.
Trying to compile my own list, and I’m struggling to see who the Key fwd targets are in this group.

Potentially a Gerreyn? I’m unsure of his height, but Namlatyu might be a reasonable chance to fill one of the remaining spots.

Trying to compile my own list, and I’m struggling to see who the Key fwd targets are in this group.

Potentially a Gerreyn? I’m unsure of his height, but Namlatyu might be a reasonable chance to fill one of the remaining spots.
Mate, give it a shot....and include the players you rate who haven't made the squad so far........yeah man...can't wait to see it

Mate, give it a shot....and include the players you rate who haven't made the squad so far........yeah man...can't wait to see it
FB - Douglas, Curtin, Dennis

HB - Allan, Peterson, Van der Struyf

C - Harvey, Roberts, Burke

HF - Walley, Davis , Champion

FF - Hart, Namlatyu, Warrell

FOL - Gerreyn, Urquhart, Cotellessa

INT - Banfield, Rodriguez, Becker, Kelly

most likely missed a few.. shame there’s so many injuries.

Yeah Nomlatyu is an interesting prospect. Big athletic kid of I believe South African heritage already listed at 197cm.

He really could be anything.

Courtesy of noobermensch, Kayle Gerreyn (WP) dominates again. A player who really is moving into top 10 contention.

I was super impressed by his performance here. I had thought he might be more of a key forward being forced to play ruck, but he really showed a willingness to compete at a high level here, bang bodies etc. All the stuff you need a ruckman to do.

Bring on the Champs.

I was super impressed by his performance here. I had thought he might be more of a key forward being forced to play ruck, but he really showed a willingness to compete at a high level here, bang bodies etc. All the stuff you need a ruckman to do.

Bring on the Champs.
Absolutely mate. Last year WA didn't perform well at the champs but the recruiters were convinced by what they saw at colts level and 17 players were drafted - same as 2022.

This year is different. Big performances are required on the national stage I feel. A lot of these guys are making big ground suddenly but are coming from a fair way back if that makes sense.

Don't laugh but this is where I was at pre squad announcement (I only had the 4 on the interchange but had Kelly and Hart to potentially be aroundabouts as well):

FB: Cathcart Dennis Boxshall
HB: Artemis Allan Van De Struyf
C: Hayes Martinson Angove
HF: Urqhart Gerreyn Champion
FF: Walsh Davis Creighton

Followers: Riddle Harvey Contellessa
Interchange: Banfield Roberts Moore Grant

Italics didn't make the squad.

I would suggest that replacements would come from Curtin (defence-underager), Kelly, Roberts (off the bench), Hiscock, Hansen, Walley Junior (underager)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't laugh but this is where I was at pre squad announcement (I only had the 4 on the interchange but had Kelly and Hart to potentially be aroundabouts as well):

FB: Cathcart Dennis Boxshall
HB: Artemis Allan Van De Struyf
C: Hayes Martinson Angove
HF: Urqhart Gerreyn Champion
FF: Walsh Davis Creighton

Followers: Riddle Harvey Contellessa
Interchange: Banfield Roberts Moore Grant

Italics didn't make the squad.

I would suggest that replacements would come from Curtin (defence-underager), Kelly, Roberts (off the bench), Hiscock, Hansen, Walley Junior (underager)?
Awesome work mate

So I am guessing given the squad that they are thinking Roberts and Kelly as the centre square players. I wonder if they play Urqhart and Champion more as midfielders as well?

So I am guessing given the squad that they are thinking Roberts and Kelly as the centre square players. I wonder if they play Urqhart and Champion more as midfielders as well?
Yeah it's an experimental side. So I think they might have to.

The only midfielders I can see in the squad are
Rodriguez (2025)
Kelly (2025)
Urquhart (2024)
Roberts (2024)
Artemis (2024)
Burke (2024)

Plus the likes of Champion (2024), Hayes (2024), Van Der Struyf (2024), Boxshall (2024) and Angove (2024) who could play there in burts although it isn't their primary role.

I really do think WA need a couple more genuine stoppage ball winners. Cotellessa and Harvey still seem like the obvious choices but we'll see how they go in the next couple of weeks.

Been busy this week so only the first time I have had a look at this, but I did do up what I thought the team would look like and am also pretty shocked about no Contellessa or Harvey; they were what I was expecting was going to be the centre square team and provide the more experienced bodies (as you pointed out).

Clearly Kelly is featuring in their thinking but.....
There’s something more complicated bubbling under the surface in the selection of this squad. Not that there is anything that can be done, but, well, let’s leave it at complicated.

There’s something more complicated bubbling under the surface in the selection of this squad. Not that there is anything that can be done, but, well, let’s leave it at complicated.
Well, say what it is mate. We all put our neck on the line here although we are usually also very positive. But the truth is the truth and it needs to be said.

Not sure how Luke Cotellessa missed out outstanding midfield talent
Harvey is getting a hard tag in colts, giving Cotellessa more space — not that Luke is a slouch, he’s well represented in the coaches award.

Claremont had four colts games during the “selection period.” Swans had two.

Well, say what it is mate. We all put our neck on the line here although we are usually also very positive. But the truth is the truth and it needs to be said.
It’s nepotism and cronyism, plain and simple. Claremont talent is good, but over-represented. Under-agers are very much over-represented.

Players are being given reasons for not being selected that they have never heard before.

The selection period (pre-season and Colts round 1-3) means Claremont were seen 7 times (3 + 4). Swans were seen 5 times (3 + 2). Two other teams had a bye in this period as well.

Claremont and Subiaco got an extra game, for reasons unknown.

Using pre-season for selection is also questionable. Some players weren’t played, or were given “different” roles by their coaching staff for Club reasons.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back