State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey is getting a hard tag in colts, giving Cotellessa more space — not that Luke is a slouch, he’s well represented in the coaches award.

Claremont had four colts games during the “selection period.” Swans had two.
From what i’ve witnessed Luke Cotellessa gets the close attention from opposing teams doesn’t seem to faze him

Don't worry too much yet. Even the Academy guy said we didn't have enough time. So at least 5 more spots are available.

Please don't mention your boys' name here but which club does he play for - I'm guessing SD/SF/EF based on what you are saying.

And did he make either of the three lists I posted?
There are only 5 spots available, plus “train-on” players.

Don't worry too much yet. Even the Academy guy said we didn't have enough time. So at least 5 more spots are available.

Please don't mention your boys' name here but which club does he play for - I'm guessing SD/SF/EF based on what you are saying.

And did he make either of the three lists I posted?
The selection window was:
• three preseason games
• up to “round three” of Colts (2-4 games)

I’d rather not mention any details of my involvement. They normally pick a squad at 6/7 games in and not SO many from a junior year? It’s not fair or right. That’s my opinion. Thanks for your time in responding.
I can’t explain the number of under-agers. They can’t get drafted this year. It’s very strange.

Who goes out to bring someone else in?

Only so many spots and positions unfortunately.
Under-agers, generally. This team appears to be about about next year, not this year.

An under-ager not picked is disappointed. A draft-year player could very well be finished from an AFL perspective.

Over-agers? Well, sure … maybe.

Under-agers, generally. This team appears to be about about next year, not this year.

An under-ager not picked is disappointed. A draft-year player could very well be finished from an AFL perspective.

Over-agers? Well, sure … maybe.
I'm on your side mate.....something doesn't feel right.......but the two AFL clubs pick 70% of the squad.....the tail is wagging the dog.....but we are free to put names out there and speak our mind.

I'm on your side mate.....something doesn't feel right.......but the two AFL clubs pick 70% of the squad.....the tail is wagging the dog.....but we are free to put names out there and speak our mind.
I wonder how much they are stacking the squad. Hiding talent they don’t want (or do want) by making sure they aren’t picked in the 18’s.

The promise is that they pick the best 17 and 18 year-old draftees in the state. They don’t appear to be doing that.

I wonder how much they are stacking the squad. Hiding talent they don’t want (or do want) by making sure they aren’t picked in the 18’s.

The promise is that they pick the best 17 and 18 year-old draftees in the state. They don’t appear to be doing that.
Does anyone know if any players got picked weren't part of the summer squad?

I am still scratching my head how Sage Clarke(EF) was selected in the initial WA summer squad. Can't see any futures stats, definitely no colts appearances....yes is PSA connected but the kid is literally a ghost when it comes to selection.

Great to see some chat re Nomalytu from EF, would definitely be a left field selection for the WA squad. With EF losing a few of their top players to the PSA over the coming months (Urquhart, Warner, Morgan), be interesting to see how the young fella goes.

I can’t explain the number of under-agers. They can’t get drafted this year. It’s very strange.
Am I missing something with the aim of champs? You put your best talent on show with the ultimate goal of winning the championship.

Draft age or not, if the underage players are producing better output than a top ager, surely they’re picked?

Ultimately the squad that competes will most likely be comprised of top agers that were deemed better than there counterparts anyway… so I’m not quite understanding the shock of bottom agers being named.

Am I missing something with the aim of champs? You put your best talent on show with the ultimate goal of winning the championship.

Draft age or not, if the underage players are producing better output than a top ager, surely they’re picked?

Ultimately the squad that competes will most likely be comprised of top agers that were deemed better than there counterparts anyway… so I’m not quite understanding the shock of bottom agers being named.
Under-agers get named — but normally not this many.

I saw Matthew Carr son Jarren made his debut for South Fremantle. Had pretty good numbers good size 191 and only 20, is he any chance of a late father son?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an interesting notion, that they are hiding players. It wouldn't work on the known talents, but the bolters.. absolutely.

I wonder if this actually does happen.

This is an interesting notion, that they are hiding players. It wouldn't work on the known talents, but the bolters.. absolutely.

I wonder if this actually does happen.
Highly doubt it.. clubs would have contacts & scouts throughout each level of competition being watched. Would be extremely difficult to hide virtually anyone playing regularly.

Think there’s a few people wearing tin foil hats here..

2006 DOB/2024 Draft/WA 18's contenders in colts/PSA Round 5 update

1-Kayle Gerreyn (WP)
2-Bo Allan (PT)
3-Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)

4-Malakai Champion (S)
5-Hamish Davis (CL)
6-Deian Roberts (PT)

7-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA/Inj-NA)
8-Darcy Petersen (PT)
9-Luke Cotellessa (SD/PSA)
10-Clancy Dennis (CL/PSA/Inj-NA)

11-Otis Harvey (SD)
12-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL)

13-Jaxon Douglas (CL)
14-Jaxon Artemis (SF/PSA)
15-Andre Gulluni (EP/Inj-NA)
16-Charlie Burke (S)

17-Colby McDonald (SD)
18-Robert Warrell (P)

19-Jesse Grant (PT)
20-Harrison Creighton (SD)
21-Hayden Windsor (S)
22-Will.Hayes (CL)
23-Koopa Walsh (S)
24-Cooper Moore (P/Inj-NA)
25-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)
26-Loch MacTaggart (P/PSA)
27-Cody Angove (CL/Inj-NA)
28-Jayden Rigoll (WP)
29-Lukas Jakovich (PT)
30-Ned Reiger (SD/PSA)

31-Luke Bennett (PT)
32-Declan Pauline (EF)
33-Trent Hiscock (WP)
34-Xavier Hickey (S)

35-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
36-Jaden Funazzi (PT)
37-Jack Wooden (WP)
38-Tore Nelson (S/PSA)

39-Tyler Rowe (SF)
40-Elijah Huddlestone (SD)
41-Bailey Morgan (EF/PSA)
42-Toby Jones (S/PSA)

43-Jake Austin (EF)
44-Zane Triscari (SF)
45-Joel Brown (PT)
46-Rhyder James (SF)
47-Orlando Keleman (SF)

48-Kyelan Sanders (PT)
49-Caylon Seelander (S/PSA)
50=Chazz Foss (P)
50=Riley Longson (EP/PSA)

NA-Joseph Hopkyns (CL/Inj)
NA-Anthony Hansen (SD/Inj)
NA-Chayse Martinson (SD/Inj)
NA-Thomas Cathcart (SD/Inj)
NA-Kindrael Hooker (EF/Inj)
NA-Hudson Pivac (SF/Inj)
NA-Ali Al Shuweli (P/Inj)

Others to keep an eye on: Brady Foster (CL/PSA), Finley Henderson (S), Nic Davidson (SF), Jayden Lacquiere (EF), Judd Ingleton (P/PSA/Inj-NA), Jye Sander (EF), Sage Clarke (EF/PSA), Leon Kickett (SD), Harry Jones (SD), Harry Case (PT), Yeabsera Fasil (S/PSA), Jarrod Donaldson (S), Cody Ryan (SD), Liam Hrarbar (SD), Adam Sandrini (SD), Oliver Diaz (EP), Jake Soutar (EP), William Akec (EP/PSA)

Overagers to keep an eye on: (Potentially will play colts 2024)
1-Bailey.Banfield (CL)
2-Cuba Garlett (PT/Inj-NA)
3-Lucas Naylies-Pereira (EP)

4-Aiden Riddle (CL)
5-Sullivan Moody (CL)
6-Adam De Masi (EP)
7-Jett Sibosado (CL)
8-Mitchell Williams (EP)
9-Jack Eastaugh (EF/Inj-NA)
10-Kieren Douglas (S/Inj-NA)
11-Aidan Harvey (SF)
12-Brodie McLean (P)
13-Liam Clarke (P)

14-Joseph Harp (P)
15-Max Sarre (S/Inj-NA)
16-Jacob De Santis (EP)
17-Jude Axford (PT)
18-Eli Alexander (WP)
19-Nicholas Deleo (PT)
20-Luke Pynes (CL)

Others overagers on the radar: Codey Stanley (EP/Inj-NA), Lucas Kemp (EP/Inj-NA), Ezra Jones (EF), Zac Petersen (EF), Campbell Knox (CL)

Votes
+ = over age
** = below age
Votes

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals
Luke Cotellessa (SD) 2 20 10.00 -
Cooper Moore (P) 1 10 10.00 -
Luke Urquhart (EF) 2 19 9.50 4
Adam De Masi+ (EP) 4 36 9.00 2
Kayle Gerreyn (WP) 4 32 8.00 4
Reuben Keane (CL) 1 8 8.00 -
Bailey.Banfield+ (CL) 4 29 7.25 4
Jadd Hill** (P) 4 28 7.00 1
Fred Rodriguez** (SF) 3 21 7.00 1
Jaden Funazzi (PT) 2 14 7.00 2
Jake Austin (EF) 1 7 7.00 3
Declan Pauline (EF) 3 20 6.67 2
Jude Axford+ (PT) 3 19 6.33 1
Deian Roberts (PT) 3 18 6.00 1
Hugh Boxshall (CL) 3 18 6.00 1
Jaxon Douglas (CL) 4 23 5.75 -
Charlie Burke (S) 4 22 5.50 1
Sam Swadling** (WP) 2 11 5.50 3
Taj Longmuir** (SF) 2 11 5.50 -
Robert Warrell (P) 4 21 5.25 15
Kayde Sherwood (WP) 4 20 5.00 6
Colby McDonald (SD) 3 15 5.00 6
Kindrael Hooker (EF) 2 10 5.00 4
Marcus Cassidy** (EP) 2 10 5.00 4
Millar Rank** (SF) 2 10 5.00 1
Cody Ryan (SD) 2 10 5.00 1
Liam Hrarbar (SD) 1 5 5.00 -
Jye Sander (EF) 2 9 4.50 -
Joshua Nomlatyu** (EF) 3 13 4.33 7
Jessie Hollins (SD) 3 13 4.33 5
Jayden Rigoll (WP) 4 17 4.25 1
Will.Hayes (CL) 4 17 4.25 1
Dale Sutherland** (P) 4 17 4.25 -
Andre Gulluni (EP) 4 17 4.25 -
Luke Hallett** (EP) 3 12 4.00 3
Otis Harvey (SD) 3 12 4.00 2
Jacob Farrow** (WP) 3 12 4.00 1
Darcy Petersen (PT) 3 12 4.00 -
Hamish Davis (CL) 4 15 3.75 9
Finley Henderson (S) 4 15 3.75 7
Brodie McLean+ (P) 4 15 3.75 -
Ned Reiger (SD) 3 11 3.67 1
Ashton Warner (EF) 2 7 3.50 1
Harrison Creighton (SD) 3 10 3.33 3
Koopa Walsh (S) 2 6 3.00 3
Bronson Martin (PT) 2 6 3.00 2
Jaxon Artemis (SF) 2 6 3.00 1
Sam Graham+ (EP) 1 3 3.00 -

Leading Goal Scorers M G
Robert Warrell (P) 4 15
Hamish Davis (CL) 4 9
Joshua Nomlatyu** (EF) 3 7
Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 4 7
Judd Marcello** (WP) 4 7
Finley Henderson (S) 4 7
Judd Ingleton (P) 2 6
Colby McDonald (SD) 3 6
Lukas Jakovich (PT) 3 6
Kayde Sherwood (WP) 4 6

Players of the week
1714356124322.png 1714356221674.png 1714356332699.png 1714356463120.png
L to R Joshua Nomlatyu (EF/2025), Jacob Farrow (WP/2025), Dale Sutherland (P/2025), Ned Reiger (SD/2024)

Last edited:
Nearly time for a new season. Expect massive changes to take place and quickly, as even in pre-season, the guernsey numbers in some club's new squad lists are "perhaps" a giveaway.

2006 DOB players in 2023 WAFL Colts/PSA

1-Tom Cathcart (SD)
2-Harrison Creighton (SD)
3-Deian Roberts (PT)
4-Koopa Walsh (S)
5-Otis Harvey (SD/PSA)
6-Darcy Petersen (PT)
7-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)
8-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL/PSA)
9-Patrick Atkins (WP)
10-Malakai Champion (S/PSA)
11-Anthony Hansen (SD)
12-Bienfait Kihusa (EP)
13-Declan Pauline (EF)
14-Chayse Martinson (SD)
15-Isaiah Stevens (SD)

16-Trent Hiscock (WP)
17-Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)
18-Bailey Morgan (EF)

19-Hamish Davis (CL/PSA)
20-Xavier Hickey (S)
21-Jaxon Douglas
(CL/PSA)
22-Harry Jones (SD)
23-Rhyder James (SF)
24-Bo Allan (PT)
25-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA)
26-Toré Nelson (S)
27-Ali Al Shuweli (P)
28-Joshua Rossen (SD)
29-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
30-Reuben Keane (CL)
31-Owen Cushing (EP)
32-Ezekiel Hewett (SD/PSA)
33-Will Thomas (CL)
34-Colby McDonald (SD)
35-Cooper Moore (P/PSA)
36-Orlando Keleman (SF)
37-Cody Ryan (SD)
38-Latrell Yarran (SF)
39-Hudson Pivac (SF)

40=William Akec (EP/PSA)
40=Aidan Kavanagh (CL)
40=Jacob Calabrese (EF)

Other players to keep an eye on - Kody Katauskas (CL), Kayle Gerreyn (WP/PSA), Caylon Seelander (S/PSA), Cody Angove (CL), Lukas Jakovich (PT), Albert Esterhuysen (PT), Jett Ward (PT), Jaxon Artemis (SF), Keegan Davies (EF), Jacob Hills (EF), Tynan Garlett (P), Robert Warrell (P), Jay Neindorf (S), Tom Rooke (WP), Yeabsera Fasil (S), Baylee Payne (WP), Kayde Sherwood (WP), Harry Case (PT), Marco Madaffari (EF), Lancelot Greissel (WP), Joshua Jackson (SF), Aven Drewett (S/PSA), Tom MacGillivray (S), Mitch Bell (S), Charlie Thomas (P), Matthew King (SF), Jarrod Donaldson (S), Blake Russell (PT), Lain Haunold (PT), Jaxan Bibaeff (EF) Finn Dethlefsen (EF), Tyler Rowe (SF), Tyrell Bropho (WP), Hayden Windsor (S), Jayden Rigoll (WP), Riley Plunkett (SF), Jack Wooden (WP), Charlie Burke (S), Jessie Hollins (SD), Joshua Trott (S/PSA), Luke Ward, Liam Mcalister (EP),

And your reply is about? The changes over the last 2 years? You'll need to give a bit more info mate....but thanks for having a look at the thread for sure.

Highly doubt it.. clubs would have contacts & scouts throughout each level of competition being watched. Would be extremely difficult to hide virtually anyone playing regularly.

Think there’s a few people wearing tin foil hats here..
Wouldnt keeping them away from state selection be considered some form of stashing?

Not sure if I’ve missed something or not. But does anyone know what’s happened to Chayse Martinson (SD) WA’s MVP for the u16s couple years back is he injured or just isn’t in the system anymore?

Not sure if I’ve missed something or not. But does anyone know what’s happened to Chayse Martinson (SD) WA’s MVP for the u16s couple years back is he injured or just isn’t in the system anymore?
Good question......the SD injury page doesn't mention him as injured. We have to assume he isn't well enough or isn't playing, thus the extra list on the weekly update for ill and injured players.

I wouldn’t consider someone being left out of state selection, that’s left in the open viewing of afl clubs through the WAFL or PSA competition stashing.
I think it still limits exposure of the individual to a degree but thinking about it more, wont impact that much, possibly the difference between a late pick to rookie.

I haven't chipped in much about the squad debate but I've watched every game and if we are talking "pure form" rather than 2025 potential, then I would consider Cody Curtin (CL), Oscar Willis (CL) and Koby Evans (P) to be extremely experimental below age picks. Don't get me wrong, they will be very good players next year.

There are 2025 players dominating colts however if you were to steer the WA squad in that direction which I don't think we should as in recent years WA below agers have not had much impact against strong Vic, Allies and SA players in the championships. Rodriguez and Kelly should be included. They deserve their spot on form, potential and any other measurement.

Otis Harvey was very flat on the weekend. Worst game I've seen him play but a classy goal was nice to see. So I'll watch his form with interest.

Luke Cotellessa is a shoe in selection for mine. He's a midfield gun. Watched a bit of the Trinity game and he was good. Always is.

Watched as bit of Wesley. Jake Boniwell (EF) looked a little out of knick but he's playing so that's good. As is Tore Nelson but was impressed with his energy and pace for a kid that size. Even if he doesn't make the WA squad I reckon AFL clubs will be very interested in an Indigenous kid with that height, size and surprising speed and he looked way better out of the backline. Not sure defence is his best role. But up forward with short bursts to stir things up Basil Campbell style in the midfield seemed to really suit him.

State 16's squad member Cooper Ramsay made his debut for EF. Turns out he is a 2007 DOB who was discovered in a big man footy talent search initiative. 200cm....looks very good for a kid that has mainly played soccer.

Last edited:
Good question......the SD injury page doesn't mention him as injured. We have to assume he isn't well enough or isn't playing, thus the extra list on the weekly update for ill and injured players.
He has a broken hand and it is in a splint, has been out for some time. But still looking super fit so hopefully will be back soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back