State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

has VDS dropped that far? Thought he'd be one of the better prospects.
People will disagree with me for having him 10 currently (subject to change) and that's fair enough.

I don't think he's done anything wrong but others have stepped up. (thankfully for WA's sake)

He's still listed at 179cm....for an outside mid (as he now is) will that cut it with recruiters in this modern era of 190cm plus mids?

I do like that he has great awareness. When he senses a chaser from behind he can go up a gear and break away.

Some of the Claremont guys are fairly standard I reckon but they are all good and they compliment each other and make each other look even better because they just don't have weak players.

I still rate him highly though and he would be in my WA starting 18 on a wing.

People will disagree with me for having him 10 currently (subject to change) and that's fair enough.

I don't think he's done anything wrong but others have stepped up. (thankfully for WA's sake)

He's still listed at 179cm....for an outside mid (as he now is) will that cut it with recruiters in this modern era of 190cm plus mids?

I do like that he has great awareness. When he senses a chaser from behind he can go up a gear and break away.

Some of the Claremont guys are fairly standard I reckon but they are all good and they compliment each other and make each other look even better because they just don't have weak players.

I still rate him highly though and he would be in my WA starting 18 on a wing.
Isnt he playing half back a fair bit aswell?

Isnt he playing half back a fair bit aswell?
Maybe a little bit but he seems to be more mid now. When I say outside mid I mean it's usually Bailey.Banfield who does the grunt work at stoppages and brings in the other players like Van Der Struyf who is more a kind of linkman as they use to say.

Claremont have a lot of players who hit targets. They can string together six short passes and be within scoring range while seemingly not having done anything spectacular.

We'll see how WA goes. We play the Vic teams at home. Hopefully at the biggest grounds in the WAFL. So we might be able to put up competitive performances there.

Allies and SA away. It's not out of the question that WA could stay within 2-4 goals.

If WA can get hands on the ball and be competitive they will get more than expected drafted.

Maybe a little bit but he seems to be more mid now. When I say outside mid I mean it's usually Bailey.Banfield who does the grunt work at stoppages and brings in the other players like Van Der Struyf who is more a kind of linkman as they use to say.

Claremont have a lot of players who hit targets. They can string together six short passes and be within scoring range while seemingly not having done anything spectacular.

We'll see how WA goes. We play the Vic teams at home. Hopefully at the biggest grounds in the WAFL. So we might be able to put up competitive performances there.

Allies and SA away. It's not out of the question that WA could stay within 2-4 goals.

If WA can get hands on the ball and be competitive they will get more than expected drafted.
I like your top 3-4 in regards to getting drafted

K.Gerryn, L.Urquart, Bo Allen, H.Davis

Then i think Tom Bell will be highly tracked/watched/liked by recruiters bit like say an Odin Jones, Jed Adams

And see what Tom Smedley can do

I like your top 3-4 in regards to getting drafted

K.Gerryn, L.Urquart, Bo Allen, H.Davis

Then i think Tom Bell will be highly tracked/watched/liked by recruiters bit like say an Odin Jones, Jed Adams

And see what Tom Smedley can do
Ok yeah I'm happy with the order of the first 4 in the list. I think Malakai will get rookied and I love watching him play.

I'm quietly confident that Cotellessa, Roberts, Boxshall, Davis, Petersen and Van Der Struyf can compete toe to toe at the champs.

The rest is still a wait and see.

I personally like Andre Gulluni. So polished and as I mentioned earlier much like Joe Fonti from last season.

There is a bit of a buzz around Clancy Dennis in WA and the academy guys have mentioned him on radio and Jaxon Artemis has plenty of admirers. Charlie Burke has genuine pace and has added a real hunger to win contested possessions this year. So he could be a bolter. Tom.Bell was superb in his second game but quiet in his third where Wesley Walley obliterated the Souths defensive unit in a quarter of exhilarating individual brilliance.

Hopefully others make their charge. It's turning out slightly better than I pictured but a long way to go still.

The more I see B Banfield dominate, the more I think why not pick a tough prolific ball winner even if he is a colts overager. If he was a Vic I reckon they'd have no hesitation. He plays like some of the guys they have.

I think the state selectors have jumped the gun on Tom Bell, he hasn’t been in the system very long. All they saw was 6.5 Ft raw guy. Has only played 3 colts games.

Ok yeah I'm happy with the order of the first 4 in the list. I think Malakai will get rookied and I love watching him play.

I'm quietly confident that Cotellessa, Roberts, Boxshall, Davis, Petersen and Van Der Struyf can compete toe to toe at the champs.

The rest is still a wait and see.

I personally like Andre Gulluni. So polished and as I mentioned earlier much like Joe Fonti from last season.

There is a bit of a buzz around Clancy Dennis in WA and the academy guys have mentioned him on radio and Jaxon Artemis has plenty of admirers. Charlie Burke has genuine pace and has added a real hunger to win contested possessions this year. So he could be a bolter. Tom.Bell was superb in his second game but quiet in his third where Wesley Walley obliterated the Souths defensive unit in a quarter of exhilarating individual brilliance.

Hopefully others make their charge. It's turning out slightly better than I pictured but a long way to go still.

The more I see B Banfield dominate, the more I think why not pick a tough prolific ball winner even if he is a colts overager. If he was a Vic I reckon they'd have no hesitation. He plays like some of the guys they have.
Tend to agree with you regarding Champion. I think he will get rookied.

Top 3 for me as it currently stands would be Allen, Davis & Gerryn and I think Dennis could be in that mix should he be able to recover from his injury and play at National Champs.

Does anybody know whether Cotellessa did end up making the 18's squad?

Top 3 for me as it currently stands would be Allen, Davis & Gerryn and I think Dennis could be in that mix should he be able to recover from his injury and play at National Champs.

I've sent an email to the WAFC trying to find out what the final squad is as it must be known by now with the scratch match against the U/21's this weekend.

I think the state selectors have jumped the gun on Tom Bell, he hasn’t been in the system very long. All they saw was 6.5 Ft raw guy. Has only played 3 colts games.
Doeant really matter about how long theyve been in the system

Likely recruiters, state selectors think he could be potentially drafted and in a weak year should be in the squad

Doeant really matter about how long theyve been in the system

Likely recruiters, state selectors think he could be potentially drafted and in a weak year should be in the squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching wafl colts top side this year move the ball nice and clean!! Then the lower sides like Swans and Souths miss target and seem to have no system at all …. Disposal is so important.
Interesting Swans were unbeaten all preseason games and round 1&2 moving and transitioning the ball really well through the midfield since Luke Cotellessa went back to psa footy Swans have struggled

Interesting Swans were unbeaten all preseason games and round 1&2 moving and transitioning the ball really well through the midfield since Luke Cotellessa went back to psa footy Swans have struggled
Did he get in the WA state 18's? I guess if he doesn't know yet, that means no! You know we are backing him here.

I've sent an email to the WAFC trying to find out what the final squad is as it must be known by now with the scratch match against the U/21's this weekend.
On FB, the WAFL have posted re the 18's v 21's game being at Freo Oval. I asked are there any squad lists?....and they replied will be available Fri. So hopefully that's true.

Out of interest, does PSA footy get precedence over a state trial game for those PSA kids in the state squad?

On FB, the WAFL have posted re the 18's v 21's game being at Freo Oval. I asked are there any squad lists?....and they replied will be available Fri. So hopefully that's true.

Out of interest, does PSA footy get precedence over a state trial game for those PSA kids in the state squad?
Nah, state match will take precedance. Keep us informed. I'm getting the feeling they don't like me much because they don't reply to my requests. .I'm hoping Nomlatyu is in....among others....make it 38 players I say. Especially now that are few squad members like Dennis, Kelly and Boxshall are injured.

Well eagles get a free shot at him once he doesnt go via the ND as a CAT B

Assuming Baker is delisted or Dewar in a position to be upgraded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back