Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unless Xhaka goes, and there is no indication that is on the cards, I am fairly sure there will not be another midfield signing.

Zinchenko may be considered midfielder first, whilst also back-up to KT? Apparently part of lure of Arsenal was playing time, sitting on the bench waiting for KT to get injured is tough sell, even if Zinchenko will likely starter 30 games next year at LB.

Unless Xhaka goes, and there is no indication that is on the cards, I am fairly sure there will not be another midfield signing.

Zinchenko may be considered midfielder first, whilst also back-up to KT? Apparently part of lure of Arsenal was playing time, sitting on the bench waiting for KT to get injured is tough sell, even if Zinchenko will likely starter 30 games next year at LB.
Is it really though?

The other thing that worries about further incomings in the need to move on some many players.

Squad based on those who travelled to the US.
Goalkeepers: Aaron Ramsdale, Bernd Leno, Matt Turner, Arthur Okonkwo, Alex Runarsson

Defenders: Kieran Tierney, Nuno Tavares, Gabriel, Pablo Mari, Ben White, Rob Holding, William Saliba, Hector Bellerin, Cedric Soares, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Reuell Walters

Midfielders: Mohamed Elneny, Lucas Torreira, Thomas Partey, Emile Smith Rowe, Albert Sambi Lokonga, Granit Xhaka, Martin Odegaard, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Fabio Vieira, Reiss Nelson

Forwards: Gabriel Martinelli, Eddie Nketiah, Gabriel Jesus, Nicolas Pepe, Bukayo Saka, Folarin Balogun, Marquinhos

Bolded are certain to stay - 18, plus one goal keeper and Zinchenko, which gives us 20 confirmed.

Italics are likely to move based on rumoured transfer, or they will be moved on via a loan / released if a transfer can't be negotiated - 9.

Others are interesting. One of Holding / Mari needs to stay for squad depth. Xhaka could go, but lack of news on that front makes me doubt the likelihood.

I think Balogun stays as depth for League Cup and Europa league, unless another attackers is signed. A Jan loan might be the right move.

Pepe needs to go, but his salary makes him hard to loan, and given the lack of transfer interest, a loan seems the only option.

So, 20 confirmed, plus one CB, Xhaka, Balagun and Pepe gets us to 24. So we can bring in one more player if we can move on ten players (9 italics plus one of Holding and Mari). Any further additions would be dependent on someone like Xhaka or Pepe moving, or Balogun being loan if the new signing is an attacker.

Xhaka won't go, but Torreira and Maitland-Niles will.

Adding Tielemans give us: Tielemans, Ødegaard, Xhaka, Lokonga, Zinchenko, Partey and El Neny.

So, 20 confirmed, plus one CB, Xhaka, Balagun and Pepe gets us to 24. So we can bring in one more player if we can move on ten players (9 italics plus one of Holding and Mari). Any further additions would be dependent on someone like Xhaka or Pepe moving, or Balogun being loan if the new signing is an attacker.

Players under 21 don't count towards the 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want a starting CM and starting LW, then I'd be delighted with the summer.

I think a starting LW would be a luxury signing, with ESR and Martinelli already vying for that spot. Would love another wide forward though, the Raphinha efforts shows the club thinks so too already probably contingent on Pepe leaving.

CM though, yes Tielemens would be great. As time goes on though I feel the discussion has been for Zinchenko to be primararily a CM first who could then deputise at LB.

ohontingent on Pepe leaving.

CM though, yes Tielemens would be great. As time goes on though I feel the discussion has been for Zinchenko to be primararily a CM first who could then deputise at LB.

Those would be going the cheap way and asking for trouble IMO.

We know the Tierney is a crook so Zinchenko wou;d likely have to be used more at LB than CM anyways, so if we don't sign a CM it's the same failed options that couldn't get top 4 this season.

Not sure I'd consider a starting LW a luxury signing, Martinelli and ESR wouldn't be regulars at any top club in Europe right now with their hot and cold play, so if we really want to push on then I think we need another winger on Saka and Jesus level across the front 3.

Those would be going the cheap way and asking for trouble IMO.

We know the Tierney is a crook so Zinchenko wou;d likely have to be used more at LB than CM anyways, so if we don't sign a CM it's the same failed options that couldn't get top 4 this season.

Not sure I'd consider a starting LW a luxury signing, Martinelli and ESR wouldn't be regulars at any top club in Europe right now with their hot and cold play, so if we really want to push on then I think we need another winger on Saka and Jesus level across the front 3.

Much depends on the Tavares situation. If he is not loaned out, then I’d infer that Zinchenko is mainly a CM. Same with Xhaka. There isn’t really any indication that he’s leaving. However if he did, then you have to have someone like Tielemens come in.

I still think another winger/wide forward is being pursued. No idea who though.

Martinelli and esr are good at lw but not great... We need to start thinking about the now get someone like saka/Jesus and throw the gauntlet down to martinelli ECT... If you want the spot you need to earn it.

And a more skillfull player is needed next to partey.

Martinelli and esr are good at lw but not great... We need to start thinking about the now get someone like saka/Jesus and throw the gauntlet down to martinelli ECT... If you want the spot you need to earn it.

And a more skillfull player is needed next to partey.

Thank You.

also glenferry23 Tavares should be nowhere near a viable option for Arsenal at this point time.

Friendly was fine. First half with all our bench/transfer listed players went as well as you would expect, 2nd half when we got our starters on looked good.

Jesus is an absolute animal and Nketiah did some nice things. Odegaard also ran the show for the 30mins he was on. Was nice to see Reiss Nelson score.

We have some absolute dead weight though, Tavares looks so off it and Maitland Niles confidence is shot, those 2 definitely need to leave, loan or otherwise.

Thank You.

also glenferry23 Tavares should be nowhere near a viable option for Arsenal at this point time.

Nah he did very well towards the end of 2021 when Tierney was injured, even kept him out of the team for a few fixtures. There's a player in there, his deficiencies are coachable. I reckon his reputation, along with Lokonga, suffered because they were brought in from the cold after months on the sidelines and expected to perform at Partey/Tierney levels towards the end of last season.

Anyway, it does seem like he's off and could really benefit from a loan playing every week. With Saliba in, that also gives the option of White as a RB and Tomiyasu/Zinchenko capable of covering LB in Tierney's inevitable absence(s). Really doing well so far this summer in covering holes within the squad.

Will be very interested to see our lineup for the first game in August. Accounting for injuries included you would think something like this?

Martinelli - Jesus - Saka
Xhaka - Odegaard - Partey
Zinchenko - Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale
That is a decent starting 11 with the likes of Viera, Tomiyasu, Smith-Rowe and Tierney to get back to full fitness.

Also assuming Zinchenko is made official.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back