Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Although hope remains, I’m also quite realistic about how the table will finish. Regardless, I genuinely love and appreciate this team. Phenomenal season this, and will continue to improve.

This. All this.

I think we're all honest enough here to admit that City are still likely to win it. It is what it is.

But think about where we were 4-5 years ago to where we are now. What an incredible season it's been, and when you recognise just how young our team is, it's likely to only get better.

All we can ask for is to be competitive. We’ve come on leaps and bounds from feeling like we never had a chance against any top 6 side. Whilst it’s good to demand excellence, most fans are happy with the lads giving their all and pushing one of the best sides of all time to the end.

This. All this.

I think we're all honest enough here to admit that City are still likely to win it. It is what it is.

But think about where we were 4-5 years ago to where we are now. What an incredible season it's been, and when you recognise just how young our team is, it's likely to only get better.

This time 12 months ago we were probably ahead of where we expected, and it showed in that run in. The draws leading up to be dismantled away at City. And then their continual wins probably sucked the life out of Arsenal’s title challenge then, culminating in flat defeats in the league to concede the title with a few matches to play.

This time however, absolutely full credit to the club. They haven’t rolled over at all and it’s only the 5th time in PL history the title is going to decided on the last day. We’ve outlasted a great Liverpool side with the Klopp narrative to play for, who we were 5 points behind at New Years. And pushing the City juggernaut into the final week.

Make no mistake how I’ve seen prior iterations of Arsenal collapse in moments like this. We had Bayern on toast in that first leg, however a calamitous ten minutes where they scored twice effectively was the difference in the tie. How many times I’ve seen previous Arsenal teams fold over in that position, and get done 3-1 in the home leg (ie that Monaco tie under Wenger).

Not this time. They turned it around and salvaged the draw. Losing to Villa was disheartening yes, however we’ve won every single league match since. Again, Arsenal of old would’ve spiralled from there and City could already be crowned champions.

This is very very different this Arsenal. It’s ******* glorious. Full credit to the recruitment, the support from the owners, the continual vision of Arteta. And the best part is this:

- the current average age of the squad, who are growing into their peak years.

- the majority of them locked away with key contract extensions, how good is it to go into a summer and not having to deal with a Fabregas or van Persie “will he stay or go” saga.

- the money that will be available this summer, through the boost of CL football and hopefully aided by some player sales.

- Arsenal being very much back as a drawcard, largely because of Arteta’s track record in improving players. Always hear from recent recruitments how much they want to work with him and the players to better their own games and careers.

- you can already see key areas across the pitch that can be improved. Another world class forward. Shore up that left back (Timber perhaps). A younger version of Jorginho/Partey as the 6 to then unleash Rice as the left 8.

- Edu’s phone is going to be blowing up with agents representing their clients who want to come and be a part of it. Probably been happening for months.

I’ve said it before this is the best Arsenal team I’ve seen in my time since The Invincibles. I stand by that regardless of how this week will end up.

They would be deserving champions if that’s how it comes, irrespective they deserve a fantastic reception from the fans this weekend for an excellent season of progress, and go one further next year.

I have been one of the bigger Arteta sceptics here, but I have to acknowledge the way he turned the team around after the potentially catastrophic loss to Villa. We could have easily spiralled from there, especially with visits to the toilet bowl and OT. In previous seasons we would have. Regardless of the week ahead, and the likelihood is we will fall short, it makes me optimistic that this team call go all the way if we get to this position again.

If the expected happens, and City win out, we will rue our run in December. That's what cost us the title, not the Villa result. Our 2024 has been near faultless.

Past Arsenal teams would have wilted under the pressure in playing Spurs and United away in the final month, especially after the Villa slip up. But credit to Mikel and the boys, they dug in, ground out results, and we're taking it to the final day.

You can't ask for much more than that when you're up against an oil state.

And cooly lays the ball off whilst on the deck. He’s ridiculously good. Generational. And I don’t use that word lightly.

Waits for the moment it leaves Garnachos foot to make the challenge and uses his non-dominant foot. That’s the difference being able to use both feet and timing can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back