Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we need depth in both areas, so I'm all for it.

But he didn't play as a CM for City, bar two games in cup competitions.

We need to sign him AND another CM at least. Tielemans at 30 million is too good to be true.

He plays CM a lot for the Ukraine and does it well, I know international football isn't the same but still.

Yeah even as a LB I don't mind it as Tierney is a crook.

Hopefully KT sorts his body out, has an elite LB when he's fit and firing. Simply a better player than Zinchenko from what I've seen. Both are the same age too.

I'd love to see what KT would do playing in a much better team under Pep.

Anyway beggars can't be choosers, we need depth and if this guy displaces both Tavares and El Neny then it's a must do deal.

Hopefully KT sorts his body out, has an elite LB when he's fit and firing. Simply a better player than Zinchenko from what I've seen. Both are the same age too.

I'd love to see what KT would do playing in a much better team under Pep.

Anyway beggars can't be choosers, we need depth and if this guy displaces both Tavares and El Neny then it's a must do deal.

I personally don't think he's elite, good player but struggles at times when isolated one on one defensively, I honestly think he and Zinchenko are similar strengths and weaknesses as a full back. Both are great going forward but suspect at times defensively against quality wingers.

Zinchenko I wouldn’t call a jet necessarily, a smart signing however and gives that versatility Arteta was seeking with Martinez. I’d imagine at a much cheaper price point.

Hutchinson to Chelsea just seems out of nowhere and no idea what’s happened behind the scenes. Was hoping to see him rolled out in the EL this season.

Interesting that both tweets make reference to seeking assurances about his role/position etc. It appears he wants to play regularly as a CM like he does for Ukraine. Given who he is competing with at City, he’s not going to get that the same opportunities there.

I get the sense primarily he’s coming as a CM option who can deputise at LB if/when Tierney is injured. What this means for Tielemens, am not sure. However a smart signing nonetheless and hope it gets finalised soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From The Athletic;

Arsenal’s Jesus and Nketiah showing size doesn’t matter in Arteta’s ‘Plan A’​

Does size matter? When it comes to centre-forwards, Mikel Arteta and Arsenal appear to have decided that perhaps it does not.

Eschewing the English footballing stereotype of the towering target man, Arteta has gone for Gabriel Jesus and Eddie Nketiah as his two strikers — both are 5ft 9in (175cm).

It’s an insight into the manager’s stylistic vision for the team.

“They have everything we need,” Arteta told reporters after the pair shared 90 minutes in Saturday’s 2-0 friendly win over fellow Premier League club Everton here in the US city of Baltimore. “First of all, they are very intense, both of them. The way they can press, the way they can sustain pressure with the opponent, is great.

“Both of them can threaten in behind, which can allow people to have spaces inside. They are really good in link-up play and they both have an eye for goal, which is what the No 9s do. They are not 195cm (6ft 4in), but they have other qualities that mean for the way we play, they are fantastic.”

For a long time, it was inferred from Arsenal’s list of striker targets that greater height might well be a prerequisite.

The club have recently pursued Dusan Vlahovic, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Alexander Isak and Tammy Abraham to varying degrees — forwards who are all over six feet tall.

Over the course of this game, Everton used two strikers that fit the traditional “target man” archetype.

Calvert-Lewin and Salomon Rondon provided Arsenal with a robust physical challenge — albeit one that William Saliba, making his first appearance since returning from a season on loan with French club Marseille, met impressively.

And yet of all the forwards on the field, it was the performance of Jesus that ensured he stood tallest.

The new signing from back-to-back Premier League champions Manchester City was once again the star for Arsenal at the home of the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens, thumping home the opener after Jordan Pickford failed to claim a Cedric corner, then poking a pass across goal which ultimately found Bukayo Saka to tap in at the far post.

Physicality is about more than height, and it was the sheer intensity of the Brazil international’s play that was most impressive.

There was a nuisance factor to his game, a relentless work-rate that an undercooked Everton — playing their first warm-up game of the summer, whereas this was the third for some of Arsenal’s squad — struggled to live with.

“He creates chaos and uncertainty,” Arteta said of Jesus, who he worked with for almost three years as assistant to City manager Pep Guardiola before taking the Arsenal job in December 2019. “He’s always on your shoulder, he’s always there to nick the ball off you, he’s always in front of the goal. He’s a real threat, and this is what we need.

“And then, when we give the ball away, he’s the one who’s, straight away, active and putting pressure and getting his team behind him. He has developed his leadership skills a lot (since they were last colleagues at the Etihad) and I can see straight away what he’s trying to do with the boys, and he’s the type of guy that we want.

“He looks really sharp, really dynamic and has a really good understanding with his teammates straight away. They are looking for him, he’s generating chances and good connections around specific spaces that we want to exploit with him especially.”

Jesus also showed a bit of fire when he was on the receiving end of a heavy challenge from Ben Godfrey. He could be seen berating the referee about his failure to take more action, even in a friendly — and Arteta applauded the attitude. “I love these kinds of players,” he said. “They’re streetwise, they learn a lot, they know how to feel they can take advantage of any situation, and that’s what we need.”

For Arsenal fans, there will have been a certain novelty to watching their team play with a centre-forward who has the physical capacity to drop deep into midfield and create overloads, but also run into the opposition penalty area to get on the end of chances.

In the second half, replacement Nketiah was also busy and offered moments of threat.

Although they shared the game on this occasion, Arteta has already shown this summer he is willing to deploy Jesus and Nketiah in tandem.

Jesus has shone as a No 9 so far, but the Arsenal manager was reluctant to say that will be his definitive position.

“He’s very versatile,” Arteta said. “Obviously, the way we would like to develop him is in that position, but sometimes not on his own. Don’t close that door because, in relation to what the opponent does in certain games, we’re going to have to use him in different positions. He’s open to that and he knows that’s one of his strengths as well.”

Arteta would not go so far as to dismiss the value of an old-fashioned target man. “It depends, he said. “Look at Harry Kane, look at Erling Haaland. (Robert) Lewandowski is another one — completely different qualities and scores 45 goals every season. It is about what is available and what the team needs.

“You want to have everything in your team! You want to have a six-footer here, one who plays a false nine… but I am really happy with the two strikers that we have.”

Had Arsenal been able to find a striker who ticked all their boxes, who was also over six foot, then they presumably would have taken that option.

Arteta is not blind to the extra threat that greater size can offer. Variety can be important. The day may come when Arsenal find themselves crying out for a “Plan B” up front.

The focus, however, appears to have been on developing an improved “Plan A”.

The early signs are that, with Jesus leading the line, they are on course to achieve that.

And another

Arsenal’s new signing Fabio Vieira: ‘I can play left side or right side… but I prefer 10’​

These days, it’s increasingly unusual for a signing to come as a complete surprise. Arsenal’s acquisition of 22-year-old Fabio Vieira, however, caught many off-guard — a genuine bolt from the blue and white of FC Porto.

If fans were left surprised by the speed of the deal, they weren’t alone. “It was quick for me too,” Vieira tells The Athletic with a smile. “Coming to Arsenal happened very fast. But I felt ready. Now is my time.”

It was a swift move, but one a long time in the making. Born in Santa Maria de Feira, a medieval city just inland from the Portuguese coast, Vieira joined the local team aged five before being recruited by the Porto academy at seven. “It was always my dream to play for Porto when I was young,” he says. “But my real dream was to play in the Premier League.”

Vieira shares a name with a player who has already achieved iconic status in England and at Arsenal. Although born in 2000, the Portuguese youngster is well aware of his namesake’s achievements. “Of course, Patrick Vieira is a legend,” he says. “I remember watching him on TV in the Premier League and the national team.”

The coincidence means the new signing arrives with a ready-made chant. “I heard the fans singing it at our friendly in Germany!” He laughs before tentatively breaking into song: “‘Vieira, whoah!’”

Arsenal moved quickly to secure this new Vieira’s signature. A number of other big European clubs were circling, but with only one full season of top-flight football under his belt, most expected him to remain in the Primeira Liga for another year. Arsenal knew their best chance of landing him was to act now — and manager Mikel Arteta was sufficiently enamoured to take the plunge.

“The conversations with the manager and Edu were very important,” says Vieira. “They told me they wanted me at Arsenal. I liked the project because they want young players in the team to compete with each other, to play together for three or four years.”

“They spoke with Porto and my agent — things happened very quickly and smoothly. I’m very happy to be here now. It was an easy choice: Arsenal is a historic club.”

And for Vieira, it provided a chance to fulfil his ambition of playing in England. “It’s the best league in the world,” he says with emphasis. “England was always very attractive to me. Great Portuguese players have played here: Cristiano Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Joao Moutinho, Joao Cancelo. I want to follow them.”

The statement is typical of Vieira, who is softly spoken, but with a quiet confidence. It’s no coincidence that many of the players Vieira cites are known for their attacking talents. Growing up, his idols were his compatriot Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Fabio Vieira

“I love Ronaldo and Messi,” he says. “I like Messi because of the style of play. It’s like mine — left-footed, some of the same qualities. And Ronaldo not because he’s Portuguese, but because of the hard work, and the mentality. It’s incredible. And he scores many goals. They are incredible players.”

Even at a young age, Vieira has formed an idea of the kind of football he aspires to — and he believes Arsenal match that ambition. “I love attacking football, beautiful football,” he says. “Possession. Quality.”

“I’m an offensive player,” he continues. “I like to make the last pass, and to help team-mates to score. And I like to score goals too.” A record of six goals and 11 assists in 27 league appearances last season would appear to back that up.

Naturally, talks with Arteta included discussions about Vieira’s potential role on the pitch. “The manager told me he knows I can play as a midfielder — No 8, No 10 — or on the wing, left side or right side. They know I am a versatile player.” Like most creative footballers, Vieira is most at home operating just behind the striker. “I prefer No 10,” he admits. “It’s my real position.”

Vieira is around 5ft 7in (170cm), and slight of frame. Naturally, the physicality of the Premier League is likely to test him. The Portuguese U-21 international is, however, undaunted. “It’s a big challenge,” he concedes. “The Premier League is more intense, more physical. I’m not a physical player, so I have to work hard and build my physique.”

“But for me, it’s my intelligence and my quality that is most important. In Portugal, I never had a problem with the physical side. Before the ball comes to me, I have to watch and think what’s happening next. Intelligence is one of my attributes.”

Vieira has experienced the intensity of English football already. “We played Liverpool last season, so I had a taste of the Premier League. It was a different challenge, in the Champions League, against an amazing team. They’re very physical, but I felt confident. I felt good on the pitch.” Here is that assuredness again. “I’m ready for this season.”

Nevertheless, he is humble enough to accept there are areas where he can improve. “I’m an offensive player but I need to work on the defensive side. Defensive moments are very important in football, especially in the Premier League: it’s more physical, more powerful. I am focused on this. My coaches at Porto worked with me last season to improve my physical capacity and my concentration in defensive moments.”

Coming to England is a big step for a young player. It is a journey into the unknown. “My family is a normal family, a working family,” he says. “Nobody in my family played football before; I was the first. I spent 15 years with Porto. This is my first big change.”

He is helped by the fact that Arsenal have a growing contingent of Portuguese-speaking players. On the flight to America, Vieira sat with Cedric, Gabriel Martinelli, and fellow newcomers Gabriel Jesus and Marquinhos. He is confident that camaraderie will help him settle.

Vieira-will-not-have-a-problem-with-the-language-barrier-scaled.jpg

“I have the Portuguese-speaking guys here, the Brazilians,” he says. “It’s easier for me because they help me with the language.” It won’t take him long to get up to speed. Despite a charming insistence that English is not his forte, he conducts the entire interview in what is his third language — as well as his native Portuguese, he is also a confident Spanish speaker. He is being helped along the way by his new team-mates.

“Obviously we talk to each other in Portuguese — but sometimes in English too, because me and Marquinhos need to learn English. His English is worse than mine!”

For the young Latin players, 30-year-old Cedric is a valuable mentor. “He is a good professional; he tries to help everybody,” says Vieira. “It’s important. He’s older, he has experience — he won the European Championship with Portugal. He is a good person.”

Vieira has played with Nuno Tavares in the Portuguese U-21 side, and they have a good rapport — even if Tavares insists on referring to him as a notorious television villain. “He says I look like T-Bag from Prison Break,” laughs Vieira. “Oh my god, he calls me that all the time! He’s always joking with me.” Does Vieira see the resemblance? An equivocal shrug, a rueful smile: “More or less!”

Vieira will soon undergo the traditional Arsenal initiation, standing up to perform a song in front of his new team-mates. “I haven’t had to do mine yet, but it’s coming,” he says. “Cedric warned me: ‘Prepare!’.”

“We do the same thing in Porto — but in Porto it’s different because it’s my home and I know the people! But I’ll be OK, no problem. It’s not easy, but let’s do it!”

As ever, Vieira is thinking one step ahead. “I like Brazilian music, Latino songs,” he says. “It’s a good choice — when I start to sing, the others will join in! That will be easier, they’ll help me!”

Vieira’s girlfriend is coming to England to stay with him, his family plan to visit soon. “They are my support,” he says. Once the summer heatwave is over, he will have to embrace a new climate. “In Portugal, the weather is 90 per cent good. I know England will be different. But that’s life!”

When a picture of Vieira in a protective boot emerged on social media, Arsenal fans flew into panic. He is quick, however, to dispel any concerns. “It’s a small injury I got with the national team one month ago,” he explains. “Now I feel really good. I’m not training 100 per cent yet, but I’m running. Day after day, I’m improving. And in a few days, I’ll be back in full training with my team-mates.”

His goals next season involve making the step to the senior Portuguese international team, and returning to the Champions League — this time with Arsenal. Like any new arrival, he knows a period of acclimatisation is inevitable. “Usually we need some time to adapt — to know the city, the league, the way other teams play,” he says.

“But I’m looking forward to it. I can’t wait to play at the Emirates Stadium with the supporters. It’s a fantastic stadium, fantastic supporters, our fans are amazing.

“I can’t wait to start.”

God I hope Jesus can become that 20 goal a season striker being the focal point, if he can we have a serious player on our hands with everything else he brings to the table.

He just looks on another level already. Tiny sample size so far and can’t really read too much into these pre season friendlies of course.

He’s all class though. Just goes to highlight again what has been sorely lacking at Arsenal in that position in recent seasons.

Say what you will about the club but this window has so far proved to be one of the best, getting talents to fill massive holes in the squad.

Jesus, Vieria, Saliba, Zinchenko and if rumours are true Tielemans still on the radar.

That would give us a top 4 squad no doubt.

Say what you will about the club but this window has so far proved to be one of the best, getting talents to fill massive holes in the squad.

Jesus, Vieria, Saliba, Zinchenko and if rumours are true Tielemans still on the radar.

That would give us a top 4 squad no doubt.

Saliba was already our player, but it's great to have him in the squad. I really hope we sign him up long term.

It will be interesting to see what Zinchenko and Vieira's roles are this season.

I won't be impressed if Zinchenko was signed as a nailed on starter (unless of course he proves me wrong), but as a squad player I believe it's a good signing. Pushing Tavares and El Neny down the pecking order is a win.

I expect Vieira will give Odegaard a chop-out and cover the flanks from time to time.

Jesus is a quality signing. It kind of has a Sanchez feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back