Tallangatta & DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

You cannot force mergers - it just won't work. The way things are going, natural attrition will knock all three clubs over and no-one wins. It is the pig-headedness of all three clubs that will continue to stifle progress. Each club is waiting for the other two to either fold or merge with each other so that "they win". In actual fact, no one wins and football is the biggest loser.

If one club from your six-club league goes into recess it puts the whole league in jeopardy. Leagues should have at least eight clubs unless they are in a remote region. The Upper Murray comp is no template to follow.

Over time, natural attrition will see clubs merge or disband and eventually the district leagues will be gone and instead there will be a North-Eastern regional league with the O&M clubs as Division 1 and the remaining clubs as Division 2, probably split into East & West or North & South divisions.

Last edited:
Did anyone get over to Barkly Park today to see young Redcliffe crack the magic 100 mark? No mean feat, I would’ve loved to travel across but I had some match day business to attend to at the higher level.

Did anyone get over to Barkly Park today to see young Redcliffe crack the magic 100 mark? No mean feat, I would’ve loved to travel across but I had some match day business to attend to at the higher level.
I’ll leave this one here…

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 151

I’ve noted these stats previously.
Ive also noted you still have to kick them.
Regardless of who against or what comp you are in,kicking 100 Goals is Great effort
He kicked 80 goals over two years in the O&m as a teenager, all of the opponent’s would’ve been decent. Also got invited to the VFL to train. Traditionally this league only had WSaints as the side you’d get ridiculous numbers against, then Wahgunyah dropped off, now there is four whipping boys in Ded,Wah,Ruth,Saints, why wouldn’t a forward capitalise? The league might’ve dropped off a little bit since Cook and Castles kicked their first 100, but like you say you’ve still gotta do it. No one else even got close this year, so hats off to the young man.

I’ll leave this one here…
Think you’ll find Ethan’s team didn’t kick 10 goals in any of those games vs the better sides

Hard to kick goals when the ball doesn’t go down there, he is playing in a very average team still a massive effort either way

People are forgetting that Trent Castles use to kick 60 goals a year vs Saints and Dederang when he was kicking a 100 every year didnt see these type of comments then

Think you’ll find Ethan’s team didn’t kick 10 goals in any of those games vs the better sides

Hard to kick goals when the ball doesn’t go down there, he is playing in a very average team still a massive effort either way

People are forgetting that Trent Castles use to kick 60 goals a year vs Saints and Dederang when he was kicking a 100 every year didnt see these type of comments the

I did question it a few weeks ago but you plenty of people have said, you still have to kick them..
He doesn’t choose who he is playing against.. I’d find it hard to believe that a forward would say at half time against wahgunyah “hey coach, can you move me to the backline”

He kicked 80 goals over two years in the O&m as a teenager, all of the opponent’s would’ve been decent. Also got invited to the VFL to train. Traditionally this league only had WSaints as the side you’d get ridiculous numbers against, then Wahgunyah dropped off, now there is four whipping boys in Ded,Wah,Ruth,Saints, why wouldn’t a forward capitalise? The league might’ve dropped off a little bit since Cook and Castles kicked their first 100, but like you say you’ve still gotta do it. No one else even got close this year, so hats off to the young man.
Definitely a great effort by Ethan. Should be challenging at a higher level to better himself. It’s more of a reflection on the floundering standard of TDFL footy and the divide that it has.

Anyone want to have a stab at a best and fairest for each club?
Barnawartha - Jarrad Farwell
Beechworth - Campbell Fendyk
Chiltern - Kyle Cooper
Kiewa - Jack Haugen
Dederang - Jordan Harrington
Thurgoona - Luke Gerecke
Tallangatta - Joel O’Connell
Mitta - Jarrod Hodgkin
Rutherglen - Jack Andison
Wodonga Saints - Brodie A’Vard
Wahgunyah - Chris Willis
Yackandandah - Ben McIntosh

Barnawartha - Jarrad Farwell
Beechworth - Campbell Fendyk
Chiltern - Kyle Cooper
Kiewa - Jack Haugen
Dederang - Jordan Harrington
Thurgoona - Luke Gerecke
Tallangatta - Joel O’Connell
Mitta - Jarrod Hodgkin
Rutherglen - Jack Andison
Wodonga Saints - Brodie A’Vard
Wahgunyah - Chris Willis
Yackandandah - Ben McIntosh
I rekn u will be pretty close here.
Redcliffe may give Mitta United’s a shake

I rekn u will be pretty close here.
Redcliffe may give Mitta United’s a shake
Kable ( DMB ) & Rake ( Thur ) could stump me but I’m pretty confident in the rest of them, will be intresting to come back to this post in a month or so once clubs have held their counts

Jarrod’s biggest threat will be his brother Luke I think Redcliffe finishes third

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats announcing a New Joint Coach.
Jamie Seymour from Corowa to be joint Coach with Duane Maloney.

If that’s the case clearly no intentions on merging any time soon then. Hope they can build a solid list and get back to being competitive.

Something needs to be done with wahgunyah, all good to recruit Bennell, Brennan, & aker but forfeiting the reserves the next week is a disgrace.

Otherwise the senior competition seems to be in a good spot.
Under 17’s/14’s the biggest issue with the league currently,
It’ll be more appealing to play in town then playing to a different ground to the seniors every second week.

Cats announcing a New Joint Coach.
Jamie Seymour from Corowa to be joint Coach with Duane Maloney.
Will this make things even harder for Corowa? He would possibly be trying to recruit some of the players that Corowa would be hoping to be part of their return.

4 finals so far and 4 big margins. Was expecting games to be much closer. Hope whoever gets to play Kiewa can make it a good game.

I’d like to review the Lappin footage, was the game filmed? From reports it sounds like an unavoidable accident, would be a disgrace if the young kid missed. The games becoming too soft, it’s should be more about intent. Ben Mcintosh would be the first to say let the kid play.

I’d like to review the Lappin footage, was the game filmed? From reports it sounds like an unavoidable accident, would be a disgrace if the young kid missed. The games becoming too soft, it’s should be more about intent. Ben Mcintosh would be the first to say let the kid play.
Fair comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back