Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

So the data says we consistently run harder than our opponents, and logically we've had to train harder to be able to do this on gameday.

It's not a big leap to suggest that we're playing a style that's more taxing than other teams. So we can expect our players to sustain more soft tissue injuries as a result.

If the coaches have told the fitness staff to get the players to be able to outperform the league in high speed repeat sprints... there's no way you're going to be able to do that without increasing the risk of pinging things.

I dont blame Russell for the injuries. A lot of people like to latch onto that because it suits their purpose but it's the whole club who sign off on a preseason which was super intense from Jan onwards. I'm not imagining this - numerous reports from players and observers have confirmed it.

It's almost like we didn't think we had the talent so had to outwork the opposition.

My own personal view - we have more talent than anyone else in the window / in their prime.

The only thing that could stop us was injuries. The preseason should have been set up around that. Have some confidence in the quality of the group.

Instead we're cooked 5 rounds in. We're on the absolute limit now. Cincotta is the only backup left in the 2s and even he has missed games. Doesn't look like anyone is back for another 2 or 3 weeks.

The preseason in my view was madness as we're seeing the results now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can’t we have both?

Ridiculous to say we can’t have one without the other, premiership teams don’t have injury lists like ours.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'd argue the Doggies '16 did, and they - like us - were similarly dominant around the ball and had that manic pressure thing we have...

Why can’t we have both?

Ridiculous to say we can’t have one without the other, premiership teams don’t have injury lists like ours.

Is that luck or design? You could argue they are premiership teams because they got lucky as much as anything.

Honestly, the idea that Andrew Russell, who has been in this business forever and won multiple flags, is somehow suddenly incompetent, is a bit bananas. Do people really think the field has changed that much in last ten years, at least as far injury prevention is concerned? Or that even if it had, someone like Russell would be just ignoring all those developments?

Last edited:
Take out the 4-5 injury cursed players in Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Mcgovern and Williams and we're pretty on par with most clubs. The 2 ACL's hurt but entirely chance in Doc and JSOS.

Imo theres nothing Russell can do with those players. They are injury prone and that's just how it is. Some people are made of glass and all of them have proven that over many many years predating Russell.

Why can’t we have both?

Without even doing any research I could definitely say that the bulldogs in 2016 had similar issues. They lost Murphy, Wallis and Redpath to season finishing injuries and had a whole heap of players come back in for the first final after extended injury breaks. That was the first year of the pre finals break - without the break they probably go out in week 1 in Perth.

I'd imagine that if we had a deep look that we'd find other teams that have had lots of injuries mid season and went on to triumph. The real beauty is that as a club (as opposed to some of our supporter group) we have have just got on with the job at hand. Last week Cowan was miles away from getting a game and today we know that he has progressed a fair bit and looks like a genuine senior player. Despite a huge injury list our reserves won and Cincotta. Binns and Moir are in senior discussions.

I get that some supporters are naturally pessimistic and only see the bad in what is happening. I remember one supporter pre-season bookmarking that we would be in crisis by round 6 because we couldn't be trusted. Imagine having that mentality and not being able to enjoy the things that this team is starting to put together.

I get that some supporters are naturally pessimistic and only see the bad in what is happening. I remember one supporter pre-season bookmarking that we would be in crisis by round 6 because we couldn't be trusted. Imagine having that mentality and not being able to enjoy the things that this team is starting to put together.
amen sir. We just touched up the flag favourites while in the midst of an injury ‘crisis’. If people cant just trust things are going ok, and just get on board and enjoy this, what’s the point of even following footy.

People complain about soft tissue injuries, but celebrate our pressure, intensity and run as though Russell has nothing to do with that.

We’ve had this sort of injury list most years including when the game plan was terrible, playing at a poor intensity with minimal pressure.

Think it would be silly to pin it all on Russell when there are so many factors that could impact. But something needs to change and he may well be apart of that change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back