Review Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm seeing "monster has awoken" type headlines and I think it's a bit false, we were better, played on quicker, took more risks, showed more guts, but we were running around witches hats, a bit like GWS were the week before against us.

'It is all about litigation' is just a wee bit cynical, but yes there is an element of that. However, if you have had anything to do with someone with a concussion based brain injury - its pretty bad.

Pre social media they just had their problems away from us so we didn't know. And now we do. Very hard to ignore that size problem once you know.

I love a good launch but when I see someone go down like answerth I do feel bad that they are risking everything and I'm enjoying watching. Clearly i do not watch boxing. But boxing at the lower levels is very tightly monitored. Athletes have logs where all competition and training activities and concussions are recorded, so I assume there is time off mandated etc.
Yes my now 16 year old grandson had played Australian Rules since he was an Auskicker, had to give it away due to concussions early in the 2023 season, had 3 concussions in around a year, 2 were what could be called "minor", the 3rd he was knocked out cold and was carted off in an ambulance to Hospital, I was at that game, extremely distressing for me and others that were there, that concussion was the result of an illegal sling tackle.

As I said in my post you quoted I am for mitigation of risk however I do worry about where it will all end up, we can not wrap children/people in cotton wool and be an overly mandated from above paternalistic society... IMO.

I believe Fort only played a half in the reserves as part of planning, but not sure what changed - maybe the Starcevich injury forced a reconsideration of who the next man in was.

They tried to get him out but the siege was taking too long.

aad9f0c48a63e72dfc7ddee8274e2356.jpg

You could say the same about hamstring length, quad to HS strength ratio, ankle dorsiflexion range, vertical jump height, hip joint morphology and about 60 other ‘risk factors’ for getting an ACL. The research basically boils down to ‘some people are more unlucky than others’ which is why ‘preventative’ programs are dubious at best.

Kiddy did his through contact. Doedee had already done it in his knee and one in the other. Gardiner and McCarthy have had past records of soft tissue injuries. I know people get concerned about if they are doing enough injury prevention but it really does boil down to s**t luck a lot of the time.

Pretty sure there’s been like 12 ACLs gone this year when the average is usually 15. s**t happens.

On goal kicking and Morris, I don’t think it has been mentioned that at vfl level he has demonstrated a natural and powerful kicking action. Wasn’t obvious last night in his shots on goal. Nerves obviously a factor but fatigue a bigger one in my viewing. On vfl form he kicks at least 2 out of three of his misses. Very confident he will be one of our more accurate goal kickers once he settles into the side.

I thought it was definitely there alongside a very good goal sense. His snap in the third showed that to me. A very high and powerful snap around the corner that made the distance easily and fast not just missed. For a first game player it was really promising.

I understand why Logan might have left his boots at Brighton mostly... what is more perplexing is why Ashcroft had his with him!!!

My best guess is that they would’ve had a captains run at the Gabba before the game, and since Ashcroft is training with the main group now he joined in; and just left his there. The energencies including Morris would’ve grabbed their gear because they were playing VFL on Sunday, Ashcroft may have just left his there to be collected after the game on Sunday

I'm seeing "monster has awoken" type headlines and I think it's a bit false, we were better, played on quicker, took more risks, showed more guts, but we were running around witches hats, a bit like GWS were the week before against us.

To be honest I agree with the sentiment that that’s the win we needed and we’re back to where we were last year.

BUT I think the injuries have caught up to us now. If it was just Kiddy and Doedee we might still have a decent chance at making it back to the GF, but with Linc and Gardiner (even as an insurance player) gone too I think it might be a bridge too far. We’ll see what the injection of Ashcroft back into the side looks like, but I’m not hopeful. I think we’ll make the 8 from here, but a rough season will catch up with us come finals.

Hope I’m proven wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes my now 16 year old grandson had played Australian Rules since he was an Auskicker, had to give it away due to concussions early in the 2023 season, had 3 concussions in around a year, 2 were what could be called "minor", the 3rd he was knocked out cold and was carted off in an ambulance to Hospital, I was at that game, extremely distressing for me and others that were there, that concussion was the result of an illegal sling tackle.

As I said in my post you quoted I am for mitigation of risk however I do worry about where it will all end up, we can not wrap children/people in cotton wool and be an overly mandated from above paternalistic society... IMO.

The more dangerous actions won’t be as common in the coming years, because kids coming through the system will be taught to avoid it or get punished; so it won’t be an automatic reaction like it is for most of the current players.

Other than that I think it’s just going to be a matter of harsher punishments. Take a leaf out of the NRLs book and make truly dangerous actions carry a massive ban, none of this “awww well maybe 3 weeks” bullsh*t. Players will stop doing it if they know they’re going to get demolished by the tribunal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I understand why Logan might have left his boots at Brighton mostly... what is more perplexing is why Ashcroft had his with him!!!

I always bring my boots to home games, you never know when you might be called up. And going by our injury list that day may be getting closer and closer for me.

Watched the replay last night and Harry Sharp played a seriously good game on the wing. Didn't notice him much at all live, but Harry was so disciplined with his running, pressure and physicality. He looks much stronger physically which I'd noticed at VFL level, but didn't expect it to carry over to AFL level in the form of confidence to barrell into opponents. Was great to see.

I also thought having Sharp on the wing all game gave some really nice flexibility in terms of how we could use Fletcher. He was able to spend meaningful time behind the ball and even took some kick outs.

I would not be dropping Sharp any time soon if he can make this sort of game the standard, and frankly if he can do this without taking a break on the pine I don't see why he can't.
Yes hats off to Sharp. Played much better than I expected. Hope he gets a long run of senior games.

Pre-season the coaches said the team had been doing a lot of skills work. You can see the the fruits of that in Sharp and Answerth's much improved disposals and kicking.

I always bring my boots to home games, you never know when you might be called up. And going by our injury list that day may be getting closer and closer for me.
Adam Heuskes is that you? I thought you got unfairly delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-season the coaches said the team had been doing a lot of skills work. You can see the the fruits of that in Sharp and Answerth's much improved disposals and kicking.

Forwards must have sat out of those sessions.

I can't think of another sport though where a knee to the back of the head is acceptable, even MMA the back of the head is off limits. I understand the speccie and it's place in our game, but do feel that saying 'no knee to the back of the head' should be introduced. One day someone will die on field, or be instantly paralysed by that impact, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.
The tall specky is a spectacular feature of the game eg Elliott a few weeks back. But I agree, I dislike seeing, usually brave defenders cop a knee to the back of the head or back, I believe past players have lost a kidney. Frustratingly the knee to the back of the head is not exclusively the opposition player, at times it is a team mate.

Mobior Chol is consistently jumping with his knee up and often collects an opposing player.

Yep, and in fact it is written into the laws of the game, that players cannot be paid to play. This is why we see so many Irish in the AFL and AFLW.

Still boggles the mind that this hasn't moved with the times. I recall rugby union facing a similar situation in the 90s. They moved with the times and it arguably saved the sport (just not in this country haha).
It's a bit more complicated than that.
Ireland doesn't have the population size to support more than 3-4 professional teams. The game isn't played to any meaningful level outside of Ireland (there are v low level clubs all over the world and there are 'county' teams in New York and London, but they are mostly for participation and cultural reasons) so unlike rugby not a lot of scope for revenue.

The thing that makes the GAA special is the fact that (with minor exception) everybody plays for their local club, and if good enough represents their local county. The guys that went to your school are the guys you played with all the way through and when you become older, your mates kids are the ones you are watching.
Professionalism would bring a lot, but would take away a lot of the essence of what it is about

Big speccie may well go the way of the bump.

Still legal but if you contact the head in the process you are in trouble.

It's a vexed question.

On one hand, the high marking is a unique part of the game and everyone loves it when one comes off.

On the other, the knee up contacting the head is a patently dangerous act.

What will happen if an innocent player is permanent disabled due to such knee in rhe head?

Interesting times ahead for the lawmakers.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce
One of my Sons-in-law is a Lions follower but a more casual one at that. A TV supporter rather than a game goer.

During the game, he put a post on our family WhattsApp group, wondering
why everyone at the ground was booing Reville.

Lol!!!

He didnt actually know Reville is a Bruce. I have since put him straight.

One of my Sons-in-law is a Lions follower but a more casual one at that. A TV supporter rather than a game goer.

During the game, he put a post on our family WhattsApp group, wondering
why everyone at the ground was booing Reville.

Lol!!!

He didnt actually know Reville is a Bruce. I have since put him straight.

I was impressed enough people had thought the same thing to be heard on the TV mics. It'll grow.

The tall specky is a spectacular feature of the game eg Elliott a few weeks back. But I agree, I dislike seeing, usually brave defenders cop a knee to the back of the head or back, I believe past players have lost a kidney. Frustratingly the knee to the back of the head is not exclusively the opposition player, at times it is a team mate.

Mobior Chol is consistently jumping with his knee up and often collects an opposing player.
Try jumping high, without lifting one on your knees up to chest high, before you leave the ground.

Then you’re not allowed to use your hands on a players shoulders, so you’ve got to use your knees to launch off the player to get above the pack.

Watched the replay last night and Harry Sharp played a seriously good game on the wing. Didn't notice him much at all live, but Harry was so disciplined with his running, pressure and physicality. He looks much stronger physically which I'd noticed at VFL level, but didn't expect it to carry over to AFL level in the form of confidence to barrell into opponents. Was great to see.

I also thought having Sharp on the wing all game gave some really nice flexibility in terms of how we could use Fletcher. He was able to spend meaningful time behind the ball and even took some kick outs.

I would not be dropping Sharp any time soon if he can make this sort of game the standard, and frankly if he can do this without taking a break on the pine I don't see why he can't.
Correct. Correct. Correct. And our performance in red time and last quarters was noticeably better where even compared to previous weeks it should have been much worse. This, and everything else you've outlined makes him an absolute lock for me going forward.

Correct. Correct. Correct. And our performance in red time and last quarters was noticeably better where even compared to previous weeks it should have been much worse. This, and everything else you've outlined makes him an absolute lock for me going forward.

Not to mention Berry finally looks confident his body won't fall apart and is starting to have a real impact around the ball. I hope we continue using him like we did against the Suns. His ability to run all day + his contested ball winning ability make him a real asset - disposals aside.

Back