Prediction Round 7, 2024: Changes vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An alternative argument could be - he's sore and needs a rest.
Could be - no actual evidence of this.

Someone above referencing Tom Morris saying that he is not particularly sore.

More likely it’s a planned rest. Simpson made allusions to this happening in some pre-season comments.

If we ran all our 19 year olds into the ground and they suffered a bunch of injuries or loss of form as a result, the same people would call them soft for that.

There is literally no pleasing old fools who have a false sense of toughness.

According to this conversation, resting Reid hasn’t been decided but remains a possibility

I’m not a Morris fan but I doubt he simply made it up so I suspect there might have been a plan to rest Reid for this match. Given his, and the team’s, form maybe they’re deciding whether or not to stick with the plan

When you look at our fixture this game stands out as an option if you wanted to rest him at some point before the bye to help keep him fresh. It’s precisely halfway through the prebye block and it’s the longest trip. Our only other away games before the bye are Collingwood at Marvel and Adelaide neither of which make sense to rest him from

So the decision is rest him now when he might not need it or keep him playing and then have to rest him in the next month because he’s genuinely sore. Or worse he picks up an injury because he’s fatigued

The good part is we are actually in a position to make this type of decision because we have players available. I’m sure we’d like to have given Ginbey and Long a spell at some stage last year but didn’t have any replacements

Holy *. I'm actually going to be fuming if the plan was originally to rest Harley but then wce wilted due to fan pressure. Actually triggered.

If we wce wilted to fan pressure. We then lose big. Harley comes out with a s**t game. Head must roll.

I would lose compelete and utter confidence in our match committee and medical team. Head must roll!

Last edited:
Don’t mind resting Harley for the long trips. Ok for the body and also less perceived travel for him before he signs his extension. Don’t think he’ll be going to Tassie in round 22 either.

This is actually a decent point.

We’ve built some momentum for the year, and we are an upset against GCS away from being an outside chance for finals, or atleast entering the frame.

We all knew this year was a development year, but our season is well and truly alive now, and What message does that send if we rest Harley while finals is a small but possible chance?

The knock on could be lack of energy and effort “well it’s just a development year and we aren’t eve trying to play finals”.

I’m all for giving Harley a rest, but this feels like something that was pre-planned and circumstances have somewhat shifted in the mean time.

Valid points on both sides and it’s a good debate tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy *. I'm actually going to be fuming if the plan was originally to rest Harley but then wce wilted due to fan pressure. Actually triggered.

If we wce wilted to fan pressure. We then lose big. Harley comes out with a s**t game. Head must roll.

I would lose compelete and utter confidence in our match committee and medical team. Head must roll!

Christ sake.

The question they’re considering is whether they want to risk messing with individual and team form, not whether the fans will veto the move.

We all know there's going to be news report coming out in the next couple of days stating something along the lines of

Wce play Harley reid due to popular demand and fan pressure

Also the report was west coast are resting Harley reid not west coast are considering.

Ah, it all makes perfect sense now!
You'd of course want to have a young star player rested and paced through the season, and enjoying quality games from him as a spectacle; rather than sore, banged up and omitted at various times - or playing through injury - not wise now that we have some depth and can afford the luxury of doing so.

Must admit, I enjoy all the speculation, opinions and melts during the pre-truth period of breaking news/gossip; the turbulent rollercoaster ride on here before truth prevails...always a buzz!
Looks like there'll be lots of buzz ahead this season with Harley and our improved form?
Don't know what our chances are of winning this game, but it's now got extra mayo on it, with or without Harley...

Last edited:
gotta love randos knee jerk melts. reid-like quality.

If we banned melting from the West Coast board, there'd only be one thread left and it would be called 'Bring Back the Melts'.

I have no issue if Harley needs a week off and is sore for some reason.

Just genuinely wonder if it’s fact or a beat up based on a dud source Tom has run with at this stage. No mention of it on AFL article on possible ins / outs published this morning:

IMG_7287.jpeg

Excited for Sheed to come it. He's going rack of 29 possession. He's the future.

Once he racks up 29 possession he's ain't ever ******* leaving hahahaha.

To Sheed haters what's your reaction to sheed racking up 29 possesions against GCS?

Not a Sheed hater.

But reaction if he got 29 touches.

Happy Oh My GIF by SWR3

Last edited:
An alternative argument could be - stop the momentum and you’ll be back to square #1 again.

Don’t like the practice of pulling star players for games you think you are either certain to win or certain to lose.

Our team is not currently certain to win any game so by resting Harley it’s conceding a likely loss.

GC and Qld AFL supporters were interested in seeing Harley - some have joined this discussion and said so.
Cosseting Harley is not giving a **** about the competition in a wider sense and may backfire anyway.

There may be a good reason for resting him at this point in the season. ATM we are only guessing about this.

But ‘trying to be too smart and overthink things is one of the reasons the club is in the mess it is in.’

The ‘mess’ that Harley is in no small part trying to pull us out of.

The value of decisions and strategies are proven by results. What happens will either prove or disprove the wisdom or otherwise of this course of action. It shouldn’t take too long to know.

Should we expect any first year player to play 24 games?

On ball?

He will be fresh and hungry against hopefully a sore Essendin then a sore Collingwood. I know who I'd rather watch him play against.

Love to see you vs Rajeshtalk in some sort of online Thunderdome-like match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back