Prediction Round 7, 2024: Changes vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trew must be looking at getting a guernsey and with the Reid resting talk it might be a good time. With the bye they might take a few extras over for the experience and for competition for spots.

I'd be surprised if Ryan was put straight in the squad but maybe he's ready to play a full game? I'd hope they play it cautiously coming off two hammy surgeries.

Sheed will either get put into the starting line up or start on the bench again, i reckon. Not sure if he had enough time last week to really get into it but with his experience he could be valuable as a sub.

Issue with HEdwards for mine is pace more than anything - I'd back him more than Jamo in wrestling a Hawkins type and at WAFL level the key forwards tend to have more traditional athletic profiles so he's able to beat them probably more than Jamo would with size and smarts.

But at AFL level most sides have a King, Ugle-Hagan, Daniher, Curnow ultra-mobile freak with swervability and still a KPF size. HEdwards just gets burnt on the lead too many times for my liking, those players know if they get a metre of space on him he's done. And I think for either of him or Jamo to make it they'll need to be able to play on those players, since they're not play-reading experts or good distributors like Gov who can afford to beat up on the less freakish 2nd tall.

In that respect Jamo was really impressive early this year IMO - made it to contests where he looked completely out of it at first and generally seemed to give his forward a hard time. Made some dumb goofs on offence but I can see those ironing out with experience - pace may be something Harry can't overcome at AFL level. Moot point anyway for this week with Jamo injured and am keen to see HEdwards dip his toes in the water but suspect King will burn him if there's space in front of them

Spot on, 100%. Big Harry is too slow and not agile enough for the Curnow types.

In: Ryan, Hedwards, Ledwards, Jones, Trew
Out: Barrass (shafted), Reid (cotton wool)

B: Hough, Rotham, Witherden
HB: Cole, McGovern, Duggan
C: Hunt, Kelly, Ginbey
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Petruccelle
F: Ryan, Darling, Williams
R: Williams, Yeo, Sheed
I (from): Hedwards, Ledwards, Jones, Maric, Chesser, Brockman, Long, Trew

Final changes: Either Hedwards or Jones in for Barrass, depending on whether they want to go small if it’s wet.

Sheed into the 22 for Reid. To play a similar role, including lengthy periods forward.

Ryan into the 22 for one of Brockman/Long/Maric, who can be the sub.

Give Chesser another week (I actually think he’s been decent, despite the low possession numbers) and give Ledwards another week off after concussion.

Very winnable game still guys, this game will actually show our progress in reality.
Yeo and Kelly have been tearing it up and they are nigh fit so our midfield should still perform well.
Of course we want our young star playing but the club needs a huge lift from all players, this will show us a little of just how much we have seen squad/list improvement in not only fitness but game play and focus on the job at hand.

If Reid rumour turns out to be true...

In: H Edwards, Johnston, Ryan
Out: Barrass, Reid, Sheed

Johnston to the wing, Chesser to the midfield, Ginbey to Reid's spot in the midfield pecking order.
No room for Sheed with Ryan returning.
Ryan or Brockman to be the sub.

But most likely it will be Sheed into the 22 rather than Johnston coming in... 😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Edwards for Barrass as we don’t have anyone else with the height to play on King

Given that Trew is an inside mid who’s had consistently good form in the WAFL I’d like to see him get a crack if we do rest Reid but suspect it will be Sheed

Plenty of options for the sub especially since there’s no WAFL game this weekend-
• Whichever of Trew or Sheed misses the vacant spot in the 22
• Luke Edwards who was in the side before his concussion
• Harvey Johnston has been in good form for the Beagles with his defensive work being highlighted in Horsley’s match summaries
Liam Ryan could really provide a spark of the bench and it would be a soft introduction of him back into the side

It’s nice to have options and I’m not sure which is the best although Ryan or Johnston would be my preference as sub with Trew given an opportunity in his preferred inside role

And although I don’t think he’s a chance to play just yet, I hope they take Clay Hall on the plane so he gets to experience an away trip

Harry Edwards for Barrass as we don’t have anyone else with the height to play on King

Given that Trew is an inside mid who’s had consistently good form in the WAFL I’d like to see him get a crack if we do rest Reid but suspect it will be Sheed

Plenty of options for the sub especially since there’s no WAFL game this weekend-
• Whichever of Trew or Sheed misses the vacant spot in the 22
• Luke Edwards who was in the side before his concussion
• Harvey Johnston has been in good form for the Beagles with his defensive work being highlighted in Horsley’s match summaries
• Liam Ryan could really provide a spark of the bench and it would be a soft introduction of him back into the side

It’s nice to have options and I’m not sure which is the best although Ryan or Johnston would be my preference as sub with Trew given an opportunity in his preferred inside role
Eagles have already mentioned Luke Edwards will play if he is tested fit.

Last edited:
I'm a big believer in stability and keeping momentum. I'd only rest Reid if he's REALLY sore.

This is the side I'd be going with - We need a proper tall defender for King (Unless it's a pool).

B: Hough, H.Edwards, Rotham
HB: Ryan, McGovern, Duggan
C: Hunt, Kelly, Ginbey
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Sheed
F: Petruccelle, Darling, Williams
R: Williams, Yeo, Reid
I : Witherden, Maric,,Brockman, Long, Chesser (S)

Is it worth trialling Long as a half back distributor for a bit? Can see him playing like peak Caleb Daniel

Is Reid playing or what? Surely we hear soon. Still only have one source and as time goes on it’s almost getting more likely he’ll be on the plane imo 👀

Is it worth trialling Long as a half back distributor for a bit? Can see him playing like peak Caleb Daniel
It's an interesting thought although I prefer Ryan in that role (And have wanted it for years)

Long does have excellent vision but his greatest strength is perhaps creativity by hand and that may be wasted slightly in that role?

Is Reid playing or what? Surely we hear soon. Still only have one source and as time goes on it’s almost getting more likely he’ll be on the plane imo 👀

Team gets announced at 4.15pm today but since it’s a Sunday game it’ll only be a squad of 26 named

Every possibility that Harley is included on the 8 man bench so we might not know for sure until tomorrow

Team gets announced at 4.15pm today but since it’s a Sunday game it’ll only be a squad of 26 named

Every possibility that Harley is included on the 8 man bench so we might not know for sure until tomorrow
Simmo has been unusually transparent with news like that this year, though I suspect this is starting to change now that we are gaining some competitiveness.

My opinion of the Barrass appeal was that the club saw it as a low probability, but at least makes GC spend some of their week planning for him.

If that's true you'd be right and we have to wait until tomorrow, but if they're not back to being coy there's every chance Simmo just straight up tells us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back