Prediction Round 7, 2024: Changes vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many young guns of Harley’s stature (think Sheezel, Daicos, Ashcroft in recent years) are rested after 6 games? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Please. Sheezel and Daicos are seagulls who swan around half back picking up cheap touches and have never won a contested footy in their life, and Ashcroft has spent more time in the rehab room than he has on the field.

Interestingly, Dillon seems to be somewhat open to discussing the travel burden on WA teams especially. Very refreshing compared to his predecessor. Only took the first derby for him to go to WA, as opposed to Gil, who took years to make it across.

Was quite open over the weekend during various pressers about the travel burden for WA teams, as well as it being harder for interstate teams to win the GF.
We could easily reduce the travel burden by staying the week in Melbourne for back to back games three times a season. I'm pretty certain the AFL would have no issues accommodating this.

I could be wrong but I think the problem is players/coaches don't want to spend additional time away from home.

How many young guns of Harley’s stature (think Sheezel, Daicos, Ashcroft in recent years) are rested after 6 games? 🤷🏻‍♂️
If I was ranking these guys it would be:

1. Reid
2. Ashcroft
3. Daicos
4. Sheezel

With daylight between each except maybe Ashcroft/Daicos. Give me the boys who win their own footy over the seagulls any day of the week. They play a much more physical role and the week off won’t hurt.

No issue with Reid being rested.. Miss round 7, bye round 14, probably rested/ sub late in season. Decent player management and we can afford to do it with others with a healthy list and a lot of youngsters.
Bonus is having a fresh mid v Don's after their 9 day break and our lads 6 days...
If we win v GC some might need to look deeper at other talent in the team, improved game plan, fit list etc... If we lose, narrow minded narrative likely that our sole resurrection is all about Harley.
Either way, things are looking up!!

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The more I think about the worse it seems, we have a bye in round 14 anyway there’s his mid season rest, he’s played like 70% game time also being managed each game too how much is this an arbitrary decision or evidence based at all don’t see other clubs resting their young players either, also in Harley’s contract is things like rising star award, all aus squad, and the like if he gets rested every six weeks or every time we have a tough road trip that is really poor for the rest of our list
Yeah it's not like we've just been through the worst injury crisis in our history or anything like that.

Hedwards for Barrass (unless he gets off)
Ledwards for Chesser
Sheed into 22 for Reid
Ryan into the 22 for either Brockman or Long, who’ll be the sub.

Too many changes to a winning side for my liking, but the WAFL bye has complicated things a bit. I think they’ll want to get minutes into Sheed and Ryan. I also think they rate Ledwards over Chesser currently so they’ll bring him back in.

The plan would be for Sheed to spend some time forward as Reid has been, and for whoever blows up first out of Sheed and Ryan to be subbed off (if we don’t get an early injury).

If you can’t see what effect that “19 year old” has on the team and the fact he is already our most important player you must be blind. I didn’t realise this game had become so soft we’d let someone rest after 6 weeks. ******* joke is he gets rested we need to be picking our best 22 every week it isn’t even about trying to make finals it’s about trying to win every week, against every opposition, anywhere, anytime you don’t build a team for success by taking oppo easy and saying ah nah let’s rest him for some arbitrary reason as “sore” what a bloody joke
Well Geelong have been doing if for years "managing/resting players" and its worked a treat for them..they contend basically year in year out

I'm fine with it

also

1 He is probably sore
2. First season 19year old......do you really expect any first year player to play every game in there first year ? :think:
3. The biggest contract in our recent history which could shape the club's fortunes for the next 10 years is probably being discussed this week.. between Harley his management and West coast ....if that means missing one game on the biggest road trip to get a good deal for Harley and the club.....well I am happy for him to miss the game to get the deal done

I know it's frustrating as he is a jet and yes it does lessen our chances of winning Harley not playing ...but look at the long picture and what's best for Harley and the club.

I really don't think his contract has anything to do with him being rested lol.

I bet it kills harley to miss this week, but rest could get him through the rest of the season.

Also kinda exciting to see how the boys go without him in there. Agree to increasing ginbeys role in the middle, in particular from the centre bounce contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Trew doesn't get the inside minutes I'd like to see Chesser given the opportunity. Has shown some of his most promising signs playing closer to the coal face.

Imagine if it ends up with Chesser being the better inside player and Ginbey the better outside.

I was thinking we were a pretty good show this week. What a strange thing to be thinking 6 games in for Harley but it’s genuine - I wonder if we can win this now without Reid?

Sheesh we need to be better than melting down anytime Reid isn’t available. Two wins and suddenly we’re entirely dependent on him.

We can beat anyone without him if the 21 other players bring the same intensity.

If they turn somehow back into spuds whenever he’s not on the field then that’s honestly a ******* joke and I’ll fold my membership

Still heaps to look forward to

Sheesh we need to be better than melting down anytime Reid isn’t available. Two wins and suddenly we’re entirely dependent on him.

We can beat anyone without him if the 21 other players bring the same intensity.

If they turn somehow back into spuds whenever he’s not on the field then that’s honestly a ******* joke and I’ll fold my membership

Still heaps to look forward to
I think Sheed playing a significant role will have a bigger impact on us spudding it up than Reid not playing

I’m not melting, and still don’t think wins are the most important thing at this stage although certainly nice when we can snag them like the last couple. The Yeo / Kelly / Ginbey middle is still good just so interested to see what it’s like without Reid in there in what I see as a 50/50 contest

Imagine if it ends up with Chesser being the better inside player and Ginbey the better outside.
No reason why this couldn’t be the case tbh. Chesser’s got a pretty decent frame and it doesn’t sound like he was exclusively outside at junior level.

Ginbey on the other hand projected himself playing a Crisp role at afl level, which is hardly Priddis-like

No reason why this couldn’t be the case tbh. Chesser’s got a pretty decent frame and it doesn’t sound like he was exclusively outside at junior level.

Ginbey on the other hand projected himself playing a Crisp role at afl level, which is hardly Priddis-like

Definitely. I just think we've been so conditioned to Chesser's running across the Nullarbor and Ginbey's strength that it'd be interesting if it turned out that way. But whatever gets us the best out of them really.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how the Yeo/TK/Ginbey combo works without Reid.
Perhaps Ginbey to get his hands on the ball more.
Ginbey and Rowell would match up well physically.

In: Johnston, Ryan, H Edwards
Out: Reid, Sheed, Barrass

If Harley is not playing, and can travel, wouldn't it be a good opportunity for him to catch up with family in Vic? It's all a bit odd...unless he has a genuine disability...wouldn't he be rested more on the bench and forward, a burst player, for a couple of games? As mentioned Ginbey was never rested for soreness, okay he was pushed too far out of necessity. Are they worried about their new investment? In a way it makes sense, but do they then rotate other players out equally for a 'rest' or Harley's the chosen one?

Anyway, if the team plays with same intensity as the derby, they should make a good account of themselves, and if Ryan's an in, all good.
Sheed in for Reid - never thought I'd hear that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back