Autopsy Round 6 = Collingwood 85-109 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes there are risks. But guys like Taylor Adams, Clayton Oliver, Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel, Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto and Sam Walsh have gone straight into the engine room from the start of their careers and thrived.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And the list of those who’ve gone to early and/or perpetually injured is large - Adams Prestia Shiel from your list not currently playing and Coniglio, can’t get on the field, Scully prematurely retired.
Why risk it?

What greats strides and improvement in preparation for 2022, do you expect by sacking Buckley, before the end of his contract?
I see none - apart from appeasing the feral mob.

And yes he deserves a dignified exit as a Champion of the Club.
Which is more than Bartlett got at Rich, causing him to be estranged from the club for close to 20 years, despite several efforts to mend bridges by the Administration.
Oh yes, let him coach out the season, so we can feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
The other 17 clubs are saying, the longer the better.

Oh yes, let him coach out the season, so we can feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
The other 17 clubs are saying, the longer the better.

I asked you a serious question mate - a flippant response is poor form.

Please explain in what way 2022 plans/programs are substantially advanced by sacking Buckley?

Frankly the ridicule you’re getting from your mates is not the club’s concern.

Please explain in what way 2022 plans/programs are substantially advanced by sacking Buckley?

I just don't think he deserves to go on, it's that simple. I don't think his name should count for anything.

Yes there are risks. But guys like Taylor Adams, Clayton Oliver, Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel, Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto and Sam Walsh have gone straight into the engine room from the start of their careers and thrived.

All highly rated juniors mainly starting at. GWS and GC where there was little room to hide.

We don’t have kids like these. Let them ease into it

Regarding Bucks tenure I have started to come around to the idea him staying on if we finish near the bottom may be a good play.

I think we are going to need a full rebuild and will be 3-5 years before we are likely to push for finals again. No coach of big reputation would find us attractive. No way a Clarkson or Hardwick would look at us even if they were free.

Recycled or 1st time senior coach are the likely scenarios. There will be a lot of scrutiny. Maybe Bucks taking us through a couple of lowly seasons and then look for a better qualified coach once we have got our list back in some order.

We win contested possessions because we can't hit simple kicks or handpasses to put a man into space. Most of our possession chains end up being put under insane pressure because our deplorable skills and decision making invite trouble.

It's CERTAINLY not because we're harder at the ball. We're insipid.

We also got smashed by 30 (thirty!) tackles by a team who had the ball in their hand more than we did.

We have no appetite for the contest as a team and we haven't for a long time now.
My mother said it’s not a happy place this year.

I just don't think he deserves to go on, it's that simple. I don't think his name should count for anything.

So it’s simply to appease you and the others.

If you can’t put up a case that accelerates our plans for 2022 then there’s no reason to sack him.

Your hand wringing ain’t enough mate.

If you can’t put up a case that accelerates our plans for 2022 then there’s no reason to sack him.

If his name wasn't Nathan Buckley, we wouldn't be having this conversation - he wouldn't be here. Its the only thing keeping him in his job.

Last edited:
Regarding Bucks tenure I have started to come around to the idea him staying on if we finish near the bottom may be a good play.

I think we are going to need a full rebuild and will be 3-5 years before we are likely to push for finals again. No coach of big reputation would find us attractive. No way a Clarkson or Hardwick would look at us even if they were free.

Recycled or 1st time senior coach are the likely scenarios. There will be a lot of scrutiny. Maybe Bucks taking us through a couple of lowly seasons and then look for a better qualified coach once we have got our list back in some order.
I can hear the BF wolves howling already.
Intellect and common sense has nothing to do with the attitude here anything less than ritual Seppuku is unthinkable.

i would say that assistant coaches need to be changed regularly. i think our loyalty to the assistants - and buckley's loyalty - is noble but it doesnt make sense.

If his name wasn't Nathan Buckley, we wouldn't be having this conversation - he wouldn't be here. Its the only think keeping him in his job.

His contract is keeping him in the job.

If there were clear and definable benefits to sacking him mid season the Club would act - but there aren’t.
And I’ve asked you 3 times and you too can’t find any.

So your calls for sacking him now, simply boils down to appeasing the illogical dislike of Buckley, by you and others.
And that’s not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why select midfielders in Macrae and Rantall then play them as forwards? It just sets them up to fail.

IMO, they should have alternated in the centre square. One on, one off, 50% game time for each. Let’s see what they can do in their best positions, not something totally foreign to them.

Half forward flank can be very difficult in certain games.

If there were clear and definable benefits to sacking him mid season the Club would act - but there aren’t.

So your calls for sacking him now, simply boils down to appeasing the illogical dislike of Buckley, by you and others.
He can be sacked and payed out at any time.

Going now would clear the air - the whole place has the smell of death about it at the moment.

I don't think it will happen - the club doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do it. We are a weak, inconsequential organisation.

New voice.
New game plan.
New assistant coaches.
3 reasons to end the decade of failure.
3 reasons to sack him. Well no, not scampi him, simply not renew his contract.
If you can’t see there is a huge upside to getting us out of this rut, then I’m sorry for you.

He can be sacked and payed out at any time.

Going now would clear the air - the whole place has the smell of death about it at the moment.

I don't think it will happen - the club doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do it. We are a weak, inconsequential organisation.
Re payout, maybe the joint is skint?

Well considering Buckley himself said in 2017 that the speculation on his future was having an effect on the playing group, maybe he should fall on his sword now.
Oh wait, in 2021 he says speculation has no effect on the group what so ever!

Following a loss to Essendon in 2017, another year in which he was out-of-contract, Buckley said the uncertainty surrounding his future was having an impact on the side.

The man bends in the wind to whatever narrative serves Nathan Buckley.
Time to go. (And become a politician!)

Sacking Buckley now gives players a chance to play to a different game plan under a new coach, albeit one of the assistants, and is recognition that this club has reached rock bottom. Buckley is not solely to blame - Hine, Ned Guy and most of the assistant coaches should follow him out - but he has had 10 years to prove his worth and failed. For the sake of supporters, they all need to go, and Buckley should go now.

New voice.
New game plan.
New assistant coaches.
3 reasons to end the decade of failure.
3 reasons to sack him. Well no, not scampi him, simply not renew his contract.
If you can’t see there is a huge upside to getting us out of this rut, then I’m sorry for you.

follow the thread back - it’s about sacking him mid season

Sacking Buckley now gives players a chance to play to a different game plan under a new coach, albeit one of the assistants, and is recognition that this club has reached rock bottom. Buckley is not solely to blame - Hine, Ned Guy and most of the assistant coaches should follow him out - but he has had 10 years to prove his worth and failed. For the sake of supporters, they all need to go, and Buckley should go now.

Which new Coach ? And why a new game plan if it will be scraped again when the permanent Coach is appointed.
Look at the false dawn for Carlton - do you think appointing Teague mid season and then making him the permanent Coach has progressed them? Just listen to how unhappy Carlton supporters are with the exact same approach you’re advocating.
Quick “fixes” and knee jerk reactions are not enduring solutions to this problem.

And the list of those who’ve gone to early and/or perpetually injured is large - Adams Prestia Shiel from your list not currently playing and Coniglio, can’t get on the field, Scully prematurely retired.
Why risk it?

I think that`s what they are planning with the boy Cal. ease him to 200 games playing in the Pie stand , then unleash him in the midfield, with Million dollar man Grundy hitting his prime at the same time , The Club is on the nose big time, absolutely putrid, when Brodie demanded 7 years at that ludicrous price , the club should have taken a leaf out of the Hawthorn book , when there actual superstar Franklin demanded 7 years, The Hawks said, the best we can offer you is $4.5 million over 4 years, don`t like it , walk the plank .. simple , NO player , and I say NO player is bigger than the club. Hawks made a stand ,basically saying , no player will hold this club to ransom, they went on to win 2 more flags without him, what does Collingwood do ? turns to rubber like a spineless jellyfish

Despite how bad our kicking was without the horrible misses by Cameron and the boundary ump the first goal of the last quarter would have put us 2 goals up. Do we still lose from that position?

I guess there needs to be 8 boundary umpires. Because 4 somehow find themselves 50m+ out of position. Just like the goal against us by Carlton that was out.

Prob not all bad that we kicked terribly and was still in the game in the 4th qtr. but that’s more a reflection on how bad Essendon is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back