Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember it well. After a hard day of street cricket you would sleep like a baby until 5am, that's when you could start hearing the magical sound of clip clops from the milkman and his horse.
And if you're really lucky, the sound of rain splattering on the roof mingles with the clip-clop and the rattle of bottles both full and empty. The Clydesdale like it's on remote control setting a challenge for the running milkman unwillingly soaking up the rain.

Last edited:
Hopefully it was just that the oldies couldn't handle a 5 day break.

Mitchell was like he was during that heavy training load late last year. Just struggling to move his legs.
How would dissect our loss of clearances, sr36? You're an astute reader of the game. Where did we break down in the middle? I getting sick of blaming Schultz and WHE for everything. There must have been others more directly involved in orchestrating our demise.

And if you're really lucky, the sound of rain splattering on the roof mingles with the clip-clop and the rattle of bottle both full and empty. The Clydesdale like it's on remote control setting a challenge for the running milkman unwillingly soaking up the rain.
They really were simple but great days. I lost count of the amount of go carts we tried to make and failed, it was always scary when three kids were pushing you from behind in a very suspect vehicle

How would dissect our loss of clearances, sr36? You're an astute reader of the game. Where did we break down in the middle? I getting sick of blaming Schultz and WHE for everything. There must have been others more directly involved in orchestrating our demise.
I don't really understand most stoppage tactics. But I think their players were just more powerful. We couldn't cope with Stringer at centre bounce. And around the ground I think they had a plus 1 at stoppage for most of it.

I don't really understand most stoppage tactics. But I think their players were just more powerful. We couldn't cope with Stringer at centre bounce. And around the ground I think they had a plus 1 at stoppage for most of it.
They simply out numbered us around the contest. They pushed their flankers right up and formed almost a crescent shape around stoppages and had a player sitting out wide to receive the kick. They went around our structures, basically did a MM on us. It's a taxing style of football that they couldn't sustain for a whole game, we were able to get it on our terms quite a bit also. Carlton will do the same, as will most others but at least we know we can always be in the contest. Fix the slow starts would help also

I even thought JFN would be a good option to run through the middle, we need to mix it up a bit because atm, JDG is the only grunt we have
Centre bounce was a debacle. As comprehensive as it gets. They weren't just clearing it every time, they were bursting out the front for deep entries.

I thought we were really good everywhere else - except set shots, but as usual it's the flankers copping all the crap, because of stats.

Last edited:
And if you're really lucky, the sound of rain splattering on the roof mingles with the clip-clop and the rattle of bottles both full and empty. The Clydesdale like it's on remote control setting a challenge for the running milkman unwillingly soaking up the rain.
Those were the days!

What you wrote there was beautiful, evocative poetry, Great Grundy.

I once
I remember being wokenwrote a poem about that beautiful memory of long ago.
This is probably not the forum for poetry- especially the kind that doesn't rhyme-but I'm all about vulnerability so ......

Milk Cart

At a time in my life
when the possibility of magic still existed
however remote
the glorious, melancholic sound of the
draught horse's hooves
echoing down the middle
of Marshall road
stirred an indescribable emotion within me
I remember being woken by the jangling
of milk bottles
and the whistle of the milko
calling his beloved horse to halt
I sat upright, heart beating hard,
pulled down the venetian blind
at eye level
and looked out into the dark lamp lit street
watched the old mare expelling frosty mist
from her nostrils
saw the milko return to his cart
after leaving two bottles
on our front porch
listened to the fading clatter of
cart and horse moving on
and felt an exquisite sadness
a grief
that could not be explained
I felt it
and I remember

Our defensive zone is an absolute shambles.

It had been noticeable on watching games on TV this year, but going to watch them live yesterday for the first time it really smacks you in the face.

We are just so easy to move the ball through from one end to the next, with players have absolutely no accountability for an opponent, nor locking space down with the zone.
Yep. This. 100.
The other problems such as form and stoppage we can cover for most of the time, but this is the core of why we are struggling this year.

VFl has no ruck we are playing guy (Begg) almost same size as Cripps as primary ruck, and have maybe 2 reasonable mids in McCrae and Sullivan, rest are very ordinary, look at how many mid prospects we have delisted in past 3 years , we havent hit gold with any of our 2nd or 3rd rounders that i can recall - better to trade for some and quickly.

A positive out of this game was being done by their talls. Hopefully recruiters recognise that we are low on tall depth.
I know we can’t revisit it but not chasing two metre Pete is mind boggling for our team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were outplayed basically. You won't win many games when stats like this

How were we outplayed when we out scored them except for the first five minutes. We gave them a four goal head start Jen. Don’t believe stats. We win a lot of games with stats against us. Momentum swung back and forward all day yesterday. Opposition played well too. we all should be proud of the boys. They had nothing left to give in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just poor today

Poor coaching
Poor experienced players
Poor kicking for goal

Probably consider ourselves lucky to get away with a draw

I assumed it was all your fault with the omen, that you must have worn some merch in Q1...
(if you claim the wins you need to own the losses or draws!)

They really were simple but great days. I lost count of the amount of go carts we tried to make and failed, it was always scary when three kids were pushing you from behind in a very suspect vehicle

You guys must be, what, 90-100 or so?!! thanks for making a middle-aged man feel like a spring chicken Manic, GG, Domus!

I’ll tell you what impressed me, we brought some serious heat through the middle and our half forward line an Essendon were able to chain out of that time and again. Couldn’t believe they broke it away so often, generally we clear so much of that ball.

As for the result, draws are always like this, missed opportunity’s to rue. We were lucky in the end Longfords kick from right in front missed. At least we got 2 points.

I think you’re right. Bombers were generally more composed with ball in hand than we were.

They and their supporters should probably feel more disappointed in the drawn result than us.

A positive out of this game was being done by their talls. Hopefully recruiters recognise that we are low on tall depth.
I know we can’t revisit it but not chasing two metre Pete is mind boggling for our team.

especially as he was ( and probably still is) a lifelong Pies supporter!!

It’s such a bizarre feeling to not have deserved the win but still probably should have won the game anyway

Incredibly disappointing

At some point we’re going to need to let go of some of these older players

Saying “the kids aren’t ready” is also a stupid counter argument. They’re not ready because we haven’t been giving them a chance to be

I'm getting a 2010 feel to this season. Father time is catching a few boys quite quickly and it's putting the heat on the coaches to make some tough calls really soon.

Sidey, Titch, Howe and even Crisp will be in the gun soon. WHE reverted back to the very poor version of himself yesterday. Pendles is still offering enough but is making some unPendles like errors with the ball.

IQ's form has fallen off a cliff, Bobby is doing the brilliant things but is failing to nail fundamentals. McGrath torched him yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back