Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we ran out any game better then the opposition though? GWS and Syd definitely over ran us.

Maybe Brisbane but memory fails me in the last Q.
Last quarter scoring was level in the last 4.2 vs 4.2.

The first month people were saying it was the late start to preseason.
Now it's travel and breaks.
Never met one coach that countenanced soft c**k excuses.

It is embarrassing when grown men are whimpering, about being treated unfairly and always being picked on.

12 wouldn't guarantee it - took 12 and a half last year - the first year of a 23 game season.

13 would probably get you there.

14 would guarantee it.
One thing for sure we aren't getting in on percentage if my heart monitor is any indication.

Don't forget people we won last years flag without a key forward !
But without Macstay we would not have made the Grand Final. A fit Macstay is very important to our structures he is a one clunk mark meaning he can usually take a strong mark in one big grab.

If hawthorn had Breust and Lewis yesterday we would have lost the game we played great footy for 2 quarters and preservation footy second half. Hawks are our Bogey side always have been they have beaten us many times but we have managed to win the few games that counted.

I would throw 1million at Jed Walter and pry him out of Gold coast in a few years he will be a beast of a player one day

Incidently we need 2 highly skilled, young ,classy bulls in the midfield another top key position forward and another top line key position backman to help moore then build a team around the daicos's degoeys etc moving forward

Here are a few players we had the chance of picking up easily in the past but didn't who were within our grasp

PAVLICH,CRIPPS , GOODES,LACHIE NEALE,JEREMY MACGOVERN,BRETT KIRK,ROBBIE GRAY ,DEAN COX,JOSH KENNEDY, BRENT HARVEY,MATHEW BOYD,BRIAN LAKE,JUST TO MENTION A FEW THERES HEAPS MORE THE LIST GOES ON

This is simply why a great recruiting coach is ultra important
17 other Clubs also missed these guys.

The list I saw on the AFL app also had a 195 for Collingwood listed as the 6th top pressure game for the year (in Round 3). Good to see improvement in that area from the first couple of rounds.

Why do you think Fly mentioned 14 as the qualifying number?

I found that odd given that most years 12 gets you in and 13 has been an outlier.

I just went back through the last decade:

2023 - 12 wins
2022 - 12 wins
2021 - 11 wins
2020 - 9 wins (short season)
2019 - 12 wins
2018 - 13 wins
2017 - 12 wins
2016 - 12 wins
2015 - 13 wins
2014 - 12 wins

So I wonder why Fly said we're targeting 14 wins when 12-13 should guarantee us finals

On the ladder they built last year. How many steps did they have for the h&a season wins?

Maybe 14 if you have a poor percentage? I did notice 8th had 12 and 5th-7th with 13 wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they really run with this on the News? Did they not watch the replay closely enough to see that Bruzzy should have gotten the free? Or has the AFL decided that Ginni is a cash cow in terms of clicks and looking to fire up free kick controversies for a while?

Did they really run with this on the News? Did they not watch the replay closely enough to see that Bruzzy should have gotten the free? Or has the AFL decided that Ginni is a cash cow in terms of clicks and looking to fire up free kick controversies for a while?

Considering he's no longer a Pie player, I guess they have to get the headlines out of him somehow...

Victim - Hawk
Villain - Pie

I found that odd given that most years 12 gets you in and 13 has been an outlier.

2023 - 12 wins
2022 - 12 wins
2021 - 11 wins
2019 - 12 wins
2018 - 13 wins
2017 - 12 wins
2016 - 12 wins
2015 - 13 wins
2014 - 12 wins

So I wonder why Fly said we're targeting 14 wins when 12-13 should guarantee us finals
McRae probably has an understanding of management concepts - including the difference between a target, a goal and an objective.

2023 - 12 wins
2022 - 12 wins
2021 - 11 wins
2019 - 12 wins
2018 - 13 wins
2017 - 12 wins
2016 - 12 wins
2015 - 13 wins
2014 - 12 wins

Extra game this year?

Hoping to finish higher than 5-8?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering he's no longer a Pie player, I guess they have to get the headlines out of him somehow...

Victim - Hawk
Villain - Pie

He really is just impossible to umpire. That one was just so cleverly done and concealed. How do you even come up with that and know what it'll look like? He's born to be dodgy. There'll be an uproar sometime soon when he wins a game by scamming the umpire and then it'll be back to zero frees.

If correct it's great that our pressure was rated elite but it's also worrying isn't it that it only resulted in a narrow win against the youngest side of the round and one presumably heading for a bottom 4 finish?

Throw in that De Goey, Mitchell and the Daicii found plenty of the pill and you've got to believe we still have some serious disconnect going on out on the ground.

If correct it's great that our pressure was rated elite but it's also worrying isn't it that it only resulted in a narrow win against the youngest side of the round and one presumably heading for a bottom 4 finish?

Throw in that De Goey, Mitchell and the Daicii found plenty of the pill and you've got to believe we still have some serious disconnect going on out on the ground.
Our ability to hit targets in the forward 50 in the second half was almost non existent.

Constant bombing to a pack was repelled with ease.

We must find other avenues to goal!

Fly keeps saying we have areas to improve.

This is a key area to our game which has improved.

Two wins on the road.

Good thing it's only April.

I've had real life discussions with people about how much the game has changed in the last 30 years in terms of players and their size/speed/strength etc and it led to me to comparing some of our current players to players of the past and when I saw this I audibly gasped.

Tony Lockett - 191cm
Brody Mihocek - 192cm
Scott Pendlebury - 191cm
Dermott Brereton - 186cm

Obviously this just highlights how players overall have become so much bigger and taller in all roles

But it's a strangely sobering thought that we have a full forward taller than the greatest full forward of all time and even midfielders who are as tall or taller than the greatest forwards of all time

I feel it also shows that not many players from the past would be able to play today's game even at their peak
Carlton's all time best ruckman BIG John Nicholls stood at 6 feet two inches (190 cm)!

I expect us to win these games, which we did
We aren't going to be that team that rolls through every game like some juggernaut, so if that's what you're after I suggest you switch off the TV and give it a decade or so
No, not expecting to roll through and smash teams each week, but we expect more than the rubbish last quarter we served up.

What are you talking about?

How was it not clear that post was just an observation?

Why do so many of you just look to attack certain posters regardless of what they post? It's a sh*tty personality trait and I wish the mods were more onto it

Because in my lengthy time on this forum, one thing I noticed in the ongoing war between the perceived "negative" posters vs the "positive" posters is that the supposed positive posters are the only ones who go the man and not the ball

Funny that isn't it
I don't get it either. Disagree strongly without the personal digs or attempts to mock or ridicule a post or the one who posted it.

One thing I found particularly interesting and somewhat strange from Hawthorn and Mitchell last night was the manner in which they started the game. It was ultra-defensive with spares stacked behind the ball for the first half. Given the margin at half time, Mitchell clearly had no option but to try and open the game up in the second half.

2 weeks prior however he attempted to play a possession-based game against Melbourne, presumably to render May and Lever ineffective. Unfortunately for Hawthorn though, Melbourne's midfield belted them in contested possession early and kicked the first 5, with the remainder of the game relatively even throughout, at least on the scoreboard.

In his press conference last night, he spoke about us being a team that you just have to chip away at for the entire 4 quarters, and that we're a team that plays in bursts of momentum. I found his press conference interesting and perhaps showed a slight difference in styles between him and McRae, with McRae referring to little things like the positioning of players (re: Hardwick) and continual improvement, while Mitchell delved a little deeper into the tactical aspect of Hawthorn's preparation / game style.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back