Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you on this one. It’s becoming very predictable now, every team knows what we’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Will we make a change Fly???

airplane-thats-what-they-expect.gif

Attachments

• 1712557889468.png
    1712557889468.png
    79 KB · Views: 23
He really is just impossible to umpire. That one was just so cleverly done and concealed. How do you even come up with that and know what it'll look like? He's born to be dodgy. There'll be an uproar sometime soon when he wins a game by scamming the umpire and then it'll be back to zero frees.
At 3:30 Matty Lloyd speaks briefly about him.

Says exactly what 99% of us on here have said. He can’t just rely on frees and needs more tools if he’s to survive in the comp

It was a peak pressure rating - which can’t be sustained for a full game.So by definition it was going to drop off at some point.
That sounds like we have to manage the in-between minutes better, can't go from caviar to boiled lollies like that and be a serious flag threat.

Why do you think Fly mentioned 14 as the qualifying number?

I found that odd given that most years 12 gets you in and 13 has been an outlier.

I just went back through the last decade:

2023 - 12 wins
2022 - 12 wins
2021 - 11 wins
2020 - 9 wins (short season)
2019 - 12 wins
2018 - 13 wins
2017 - 12 wins
2016 - 12 wins
2015 - 13 wins
2014 - 12 wins

So I wonder why Fly said we're targeting 14 wins when 12-13 should guarantee us finals
14 wins to qualify for finals was our first target last year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had real life discussions with people about how much the game has changed in the last 30 years in terms of players and their size/speed/strength etc and it led to me to comparing some of our current players to players of the past and when I saw this I audibly gasped.

Tony Lockett - 191cm
Brody Mihocek - 192cm
Scott Pendlebury - 191cm
Dermott Brereton - 186cm

Obviously this just highlights how players overall have become so much bigger and taller in all roles

But it's a strangely sobering thought that we have a full forward taller than the greatest full forward of all time and even midfielders who are as tall or taller than the greatest forwards of all time

I feel it also shows that not many players from the past would be able to play today's game even at their peak
Jack Dyer was 185cm.

Ned Long is the one we need to get onto the list.
He's a big, powerful unit, who would be good on the inside.
The problem is, if he nominates for the MSD, he probably won't get through to us.

The problem is, if he nominates for the MSD, he probably won't get through to us.

The NGA kid we have projects to be a somewhat similar player from what I can see. Doug Kerr.

At 3:30 Matty Lloyd speaks briefly about him.

Says exactly what 99% of us on here have said. He can’t just rely on frees and needs more tools if he’s to survive in the comp

I think they've all been instructed to milk the theatre. "He got the frees that he should have got. Didn't get a couple he should have." Then said he should have gotten a free in that marking contest ... It was brilliantly and subtly done, but he hooked Maynard's arm and pulled him on top of himself. It should have been a free to Maynard. So should the free and goal that he got. He was reaching back and holding Maynard's jumper on the chest. Maynard tried to push his arm out of the way and it looked like Maynard was holding his arm.

He's brilliant, but his brilliance is about beating the umpire - not his opponent. And the commentators are having a few weeks of egging him on. He's going to piss away his talent the way he's trying to use it.

Remember when rover was considered a position where you had to be really short. And that period when we were desperate for a proper really short rover like Platten. Francis came along and we were ecstatic that he was a 170cm short arse - not an over-sized bloke who was too big for rover.

Cheers for that. Have had a look at a few names I remember from those days and 168cm-178cm seems an average range with some smaller ones. Wayne Richardson one of the taller ones at 182cm. Interesting.
I played in those days and the height of a rover was actually important for some reason. Most were around the size you mentioned.
Remember when rover was considered a position where you had to be really short. And that period when we were desperate for a proper really short rover like Platten. Francis came along and we were ecstatic that he was a 170cm short arse - not an over-sized bloke who was too big for rover.
Lol, I remember the obsession very well. Gary Shaw was supposed to be our saviour

He has poor disposal- couldn’t believe how many times he missed targets in the SANFL v VFL game.
Carmichael is around the same size so I don’t see Long as a significant upgrade.

Yeah, two short arses (like myself) changing in the forward pocket. Everyone automatically lining up in the standard positions mirroring the team sheet, forwards never leaving the forward, defenders never leaving the backline. How times have changed😊

I played in those days and the height of a rover was actually important for some reason. Most were around the size you mentioned.

Lol, I remember the obsession very well. Gary Shaw was supposed to be our saviour
When did it stop? When did they realise that rather than trying to find someone to get lower than Platten they could play Paddy Cripps on him and just push him out of the way to pick up the ball?

When did it stop? When did they realise that rather than trying to find someone to get lower than Platten they could play Paddy Cripps on him and just push him out of the way to pick up the ball?
That’s a good question. I’m not sure who started the trend towards big bodied mids or whether they just thought let’s get rid of the small blokes and play two ruck rovers. Probably a bit of natural selection in there as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back