Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It actually does help but sometimes you take the shanks for the greater good.
I remember the days when the big shanks were maybe $1 for 2, and you'd buy them for the kelpie to create a decent slab of down time, clattering its teeth over and around the bone for the last 15 mins of the performance. The smell of burning leaves from the neighbour's incinerator and the sound of tennis balls thwacked into the rubbish bin wicket in the middle of the street. Those were days to be remembered.

I remember the days when the big shanks were maybe $1 for 2, and you'd buy them for the kelpie to create a decent slab of down time, clattering its teeth over and around the bone for the last 15 mins of the performance. The smell of burning leaves from the neighbour's incinerator and the sound of tennis balls thwacked into the rubbish bin wicket in the middle of the street. Those were days to be remembered.
And the shout of “ car” when you and wickets had to scamper off the road to let the traffic through

Our clearance/stoppage game is a real weakness in the team. Essendon won centre clearances 19-8, so it's a real deficiency we've had for a long time. Most of our scores are generated off turnovers, especially in the front half this year which is in contrast to last year where a lot of our scores were coming from the back half and we were able to smoothly transition through the corridor. As long as the stoppage game remains a weakness, we'll unfortunately have tight tussles like we did today.

Agree, Centre Bounce 8-19 was a big problem yday. Defence and forwards held up pretty well given that.

1. CB not a major problem all season though. Won the last 3 weeks (+19-12 v Port, even +19-7 v Syd). Biggest loss was 10-16 v StK) and before yday Coll were near best performed in centre bounce to date.

2. ABC article about Essendon a few days ago said one of the key changes in 2024 was keeping Stringer forward and not attending centre bounce. They'd been playing Setterfield, Durham, Caldwell, Perkins there more. They ditched that, Stringer attended 75% and killed it with 6 centre clearances. [cf Ess lost 6-19 to Port in centre bounces when they were smacked there, with Stringer not attending centre bounces].

3. Ruck hitout to advantage: Ess 9 v Coll 3. (Cameron only 2 HTA in 56 ruck contests -75%). DC has been very good this year but this didn't help. Felt like a lot of centre frees also.

4. Would explain the logic behind the Mitchell sub.

Thought HH did well as sub & Checkers was great.

VFl has no ruck we are playing guy (Begg) almost same size as Cripps as primary ruck, and have maybe 2 reasonable mids in McCrae and Sullivan, rest are very ordinary, look at how many mid prospects we have delisted in past 3 years , we havent hit gold with any of our 2nd or 3rd rounders that i can recall - better to trade for some and quickly.
Bytel has also been good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leap year
reigning premier had a slow start to the season
Drew with a Melbourne-based club in the first six weeks

leap year

leap year

leap year
I like that omen much better than the 1995 drawn Anzac Day match & 1995 Carlton premiership.

We were outplayed basically. You won't win many games when stats like this

It was all stoppage - we had them covered everywhere else. But they gave us a bath around the footy.

My hope is that it was the 5 day break - it was like that block towards the end of last year when our training loads were up, Mitchell looked cooked and a couple of others well on their way.

I remember it well. After a hard day of street cricket you would sleep like a baby until 5am, that's when you could start hearing the magical sound of clip clops from the milkman and his horse.

It was all stoppage - we had them covered everywhere else. But they gave us a bath around the footy.
We scored off turnover and pressure, but we could barely get on our hands on the footy
Giving them a 6 goal headstart doesn't help either.
But clearances We've got to do better.

We scored off turnover and pressure, but we could barely get on our hands on the footy
Giving them a 6 goal headstart doesn't help either.
But clearances We've got to do better.
Hopefully it was just that the oldies couldn't handle a 5 day break.

Mitchell was like he was during that heavy training load late last year. Just struggling to move his legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back