Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does it have to be single digit games? Stats need context mate

Beau had 7 possessions today
Steele had 7 possession today

Beau was the far better player. Not even close.

Steele had 16 possessions against Sydney and against St.Kilda. Yet played horrifically in both.

He literally had a hand in 3-4 opposition goals in both games.

One could argue he single handedly cost us the St.Kilda game. He gave them 4 and we lost by 15 points.
I suggest you listen to Fly’s press conference to get some perspective on Sidey.

I'll take the 2 points given how badly we started.

We lost the game in the first ten minutes when we couldn't touch the ball.

After that we played reasonably well but looked seriously out of petrol tickets toward the end.

The reality is most of our team is not playing well at the moment and we are just hanging on.

Our 2024 trend of conceding multiple goals very quickly has been the reason for most of our losses this year.

Surely at this point we need to figure out a defensive structure to stop the bleeding while we get control of the game?

It has happened to us in every game this year - teams pile on goals very quickly and the good ones have not let us back.
You stop the bleeding - by winning contest and clearances, where we got smashed early which gave them the early goals.
No defense can stop that type of onslaught when pressure and contest are down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly's presser

You've been involved in some epic games in the last few years, that must be up there?

How do you sum up the game after that?

Have you worked out in your own head to what degree you go with a glass half full or glass half empty feeling?

What about the first 15 minutes of the match when Essendon kicked the first 4 goals. What do you think happened there?

Were you not switched on or were Essendon supercharged?

Jamie Elliott's mark?

Were you surprised that Elliott couldn't hold onto that mark in the end given his record in close games?

What about the overall pressure rating? That's what turned the Port Adelaide game around and do you feel it turned this game around as well?

What was the pressure rating if you could share?

How was Jamie [Elliott] after the game? Have you spoken to him?

It was a quieter game by Steele Sidebottom, but he was important in the last few minutes of the match. How did you see his game?

Another great speech by Darcy Moore post game. Does it feel like he has found some rhythm on the field with reading the ball really well?

What's your view of the 'Draw vs Extra Time' debate?

Was the draw a fair result?

Isn't today's draw a just result and one people will be satisfied with?

That last minute where both teams get a chance to win, are you playing to win?

Any injuries?

Anzac Day is always an amazing occasion. Can you give us some insight on what it's like to stand on the MCG. You were pretty emotional coming off.

Question 11 - seems to be the perfect answer to Cousin of Daicos.

Wilbur was storming toward the pocket as well. Just had to kick it out in front of him. Worst case was a boundary throw in. Too many times we're looking for the perfect pass rather than playing the percentages. That would've iced the game.
I reckon last 3 minutes will be reviewed forensically for lessons.

A lot can change very quickly

1714092000570.png

This is last year's ladder at R15 - all these teams made finals (actually I don't know if I'll count Sydney lol), two of which played off in a prelim.

Footy's a funny game these days, it ebbs and flows and a season is largely undefined by even a number of mediocre outings in the 1st quarter of the year. Need to figure it out soon and learn from these growing pains, but qualify for finals without injury and with a fit McStay and I'll back us to the hills.

It's obvious teams just don't allow us to move the ball through the middle anymore, feels like Malthouse era again with how much we play the boundary. The problem is, we still got outnumbered when kicking long to a contest, Essendon seemed to cover the ground a lot better. Age & lack of speed is biggest concern. Almost have to think about putting someone like McCreery into the middle to get some speed around the ball.
Lack of speed is not a concern. We more than matched them.

A lot can change very quickly

View attachment 1971223

This is last year's ladder at R15 - all these teams made finals (actually I don't know if I'll count Sydney lol), two of which played off in a prelim.

Footy's a funny game these days, it ebbs and flows and a season is largely undefined by even a number of mediocre outings in the 1st quarter of the year. Need to figure it out soon and learn from these growing pains, but qualify for finals without injury and with a fit McStay and I'll back us to the hills.
Pretty much why a few of us laughed at those writing any team off after rounds 3 & 4.

Remember how well we started last year and so many said we'd hit our peak too early.

And then of course there were those saying we had no chance at all after a few losses just before finals.

When we bring our pressure, we can match it with anyone, imo.

Realistically I think we're in the 6-10 range this year, I think we're competing with Port, Ess, Dogs, Bris & maybe Freo for 2 spots in the 8.

The main issue for me is that no one has really improved on last year (Lippa, Noble maybe?), some blokes are playing at the same level, but quite a few have dropped off.

Was good that we introduced HH into the mix today, but think we need to be a bit more aggressive with selection as a few guys are just going right now. As others have said, it's gonna be a big VFL game for a few this weekend.

Re: Nick, he's the icing on the cake, but he's not the cake. He's only going to be as good as the overall midfield machine when he's in there, and when Titch and Jordy are down, he's suffering. He's still been our best player but we know he can do so much more.

Darcy was better today. Started slowly as the entire team did, but 5 intercept marks & 12 intercept possessions is a good showing.

Pendles was good. Today's game was about the top end of his level at this stage of his career, can't fault him at all.

Checkers could have won the medal, he was immense, but we know what happened late. He needs help, McStay would be pretty handy.

Big game next week, I'd never write us off against anyone, but it's going to take a lot more than this to beat Carlton.
Totally agree with this assessment, i'd add DC to the group of improvers. Also, after a near third of the season its fair to say no one we have brought to the club has enriched the list for 2024 output. Schulz in and Adams/Ginni/Murph out is a significant negative.
That, and with a few key players going signiificantly backwards has only one outcome.
We can hope the guys that are down can find something that get us into the finals mix and perhaps our more recent draftees can provide something as the season goes on.
Finally, we are having a charmed run with match day health.

Last edited:
yes the rebounds that go straight to oppo , same for several weeks now ..
Maybe if we were better in centre and stoppage clearances, his stats wouldn't matter?

However I still can't find any stats that his rebound clangers are as high as you seem to think.

Do you have any stats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back