Toast Round 6 = Collingwood 123-81 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

You must be a young'un then because LOTS of players from the 50's-80's could match if not better Buck's supposed "exceptional kicking skills". Colin Tully, Twiggy Dunne, Doug Gott, Barry Price, Greening, right through to the magician himself Peter Daicos. Daics was a better kick than Bucks (who YES had a cannon on both sides) but Daicos could easily match Buck's distance on either peg and had a range of kicks that Buck's simply never displayed.
For distance… I saw Colin Tully drop-kick a couple that the radio commentators reckoned went 80 yards (I think that would be 74 metres) and I didn’t think they were wrong. He was remarkable.
I also saw Len Thompson drop-kick a goal from the wing at Windy Hill after the 3QT siren. He was just forward of the centre line and about 20 yards in from the boundary. Someone good at trigonometry would be able to work it out.
That bloke Trent McKenzie — how far can he kick it?

And yet, bizarrely, barely converted 50% of his shots on goal. Always find it interesting when undeniably great field kicks are average kicks for goal & vice versa.

Travis Cloke was a picture perfect example of that, albeit not the midfield type we're probably discussing here, and it was probably something that slipped under the radar a bit - could hit a team mate lace out without them breaking stride from any distance up to 60m+, but get him within 35m of goal and all bets were off.

Scoring 123 points yesterday was our biggest score since Round 2 last year, which happened to be against Port Adelaide as well.

My reaction the day after is still one of happiness and enthusiasm. Still on a high knowing that we're still capable of producing a performance that is Premiership standard when we're switched on and we play with high intensity.

Everything we've been hoping for was there yesterday. The turnover game was excellent, generating scores from the back half with our smooth transition, and our pressure rating was close to 200 which is elite at this level. Sustain those sorts of numbers and we'll be winning more often than not.

Great to see our role players WHE and Lipinski shine yesterday. Fly emphasised how important these two were in our turnaround. WHE's numbers were significant. 21 disposals, 13 score involvements, 9 marks and 2 goals.

Bucks was the best kick that I saw in black and white.

Daicos hands down the best kick I’ve seen at Collingwood. Both goal & field kicking, sublime skills either foot.

Buckley was a good kick, but far too often he over kicked the ball, flat hard long.
What we have here is a good old fashioned Jmac fight

full album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192627852@N07/albums/72177720316368893

Howe takes on all the forwards and wins!! -and check out peppers head!
I thought he had a funny forehead, but its a follicle-y challenged guy behind him!

checkers - and thats Jacqui next to the sub!

man of the match!

Mr too generous!!

buy me dinner first mate!

do you see it?? i see it!!

DeGoey gives me swanny vibes!!

pendles doing ballet??!

Love ya Nobes!

see ball, get ball, hes like a retriever!!!
all 11 pics in the file and on instagram

and we get Josh too!

Paddy!

loved this battle!

half the size, but double the strength!

the whole set in the link

congrats smiley!

full album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192627852@N07/albums/72177720316368893

Howe takes on all the forwards and wins!! -and check out peppers head!
I thought he had a funny forehead, but its a follicle-y challenged guy behind him!

checkers - and thats Jacqui next to the sub!

man of the match!

Mr too generous!!

buy me dinner first mate!

do you see it?? i see it!!

DeGoey gives me swanny vibes!!

pendles doing ballet??!

Love ya Nobes!

see ball, get ball, hes like a retriever!!!
all 11 pics in the file and on instagram

and we get Josh too!

Paddy!

loved this battle!

half the size, but double the strength!

the whole set in the link

congrats smiley!

pool room worthy shots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet, bizarrely, barely converted 50% of his shots on goal. Always find it interesting when undeniably great field kicks are average kicks for goal & vice versa.
Bucks was a brutal Powerful and could hit a chest from a long distance. But was pretty one dimensional. Shanked a fair few too.

Darren Jarman was the best kick I've seen.

Bucks was a brutal Powerful and could hit a chest from a long distance. But was pretty one dimensional. Shanked a fair few too.

Darren Jarman was the best kick I've seen.
I don't know if he was the best kick ever, but my favourite player to watch kicking the footy was Alan Didak. Super balanced, had every trick in the book from dribbling snaps to 60m torps, and was great on both sides. So good!

I don't know if he was the best kick ever, but my favourite player to watch kicking the footy was Alan Didak. Super balanced, had every trick in the book from dribbling snaps to 60m torps, and was great on both sides. So good!
Dids always reminded me of Peter Daicos. Similar body proportions and centre of gravity.
He could have been another son.

Watching some of the footy shows already and I'm noticing a lot of the "they're back" sentiment and at first wondered why.

But then upon reflection and watching the replay a couple more times I realised that in the same way "the way we lose" concerns me more than losses, "the way we won" is why everyone thinks we're back

I mean, we had made a habit of comeback close wins throughout 2023 and to a lesser extent 2023.

But we didn't really pump sides often.

In this game we did both. Which is a new one for us. We not only came back from 5 goals down, we flipped the script and pumped them straight back. Could have even won by a lot more.

Let's hope we really are back and this becomes a more frequent occurrence

Screenshot 2024-04-22 074829.jpg

Here's this now, after 6 rounds, given it's the first time so far this season that everyone has played equal games (ridiculous fixture)
Offensively we're 7th but we conceded too much against in the first 3 rounds so we sit 14th defensively. I'm sure that will turn around though!

View attachment 1966885

Here's this now, after 6 rounds, given it's the first time so far this season that everyone has played equal games (ridiculous fixture)
Offensively we're 7th but we conceded too much against in the first 3 rounds so we sit 14th defensively. I'm sure that will turn around though!

We averaged 108 points against BFE* this season.

79.25 average points against in FE.

*Before Frampton Era.

We averaged 108 points against BFE* this season.

79.25 average points against in FE.

*Before Frampton Era.
huge differential.

Billy "the glove" Frampton could have made a big difference in the first two rounds. Did Fly ever explain why he wasn't selected?

Obviously he was trying to give Charlie Dean a go, but was a poor decision to leave Frampton out and Charlie Dean had a baptism by fire really.

Only watched the full game replay after we got home last night, never in doubt. Port pretty dominant early but kicking goals like Georgiades drop the ball in the goal square and it hit hi foot. We were like browns cows on the transition but when they tightened that up, during the quarter, we were dominant and Port were shell shocked. Too hard at them and the ball.

View attachment 1966885

needs to be scaled or adjusted for current (average) ladder position of teams played to-date

needs to be scaled or adjusted for current (average) ladder position of teams played to-date
This particular chart is only about points for and points against. Not about ladder position.

They do this occasionally on "On the Couch".

Premiers are always in top 6 defense (lowest against) and above the horizontal line. And almost always top 6 offence (highest for).

We were smack in the window almost all of last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back