VFL Round 3 Carlton v Collingwood 2.05pm Sunday 14th April

Remove this Banner Ad

The game itself. it did feel like we did have the bye. Was a bit scrappy. Was better as the game went on, and they started to take the game on.
Given it was his first full game since the pre-season games, Fin did well enough and led the way. He'll be better for the run. He was cooked by the end of the game though.

Allan showed good moments in patches, but still seems to drift in and out of games, which hopefully he finds some consistency this year. They had him playing inside, then swapped him and bytel between wing and inside. There was a number of players that rotated through the middle in the 2nd half. Sullivan did a couple CB, along with Sparkes too. But the main ones seemed to be Long, Fin and Allan as the main three.

It was very scrappy, but they showed heart and never give up attitude. That's one thing we know about both programs, afl and vfl, same sort of attitude in giving everything you have.

Crocker was really good in his first game of the season and against his old side. Didn't get a heap of of it, but more playing that forward role that suits him well.

Ned Long was very noticable. Just a real presence in the midfield and who can kick goals up forward. He's gonna be very good for us this year, as long as he doesn't get taken in MSD.
Hutchinson doesn't need much of it to make an impact. His got a strong body and knows how to impact the scoreboard.

Jiath is really starting to show his skills, the way he intercepts, he could be the one that might replace Howe once he retires.

Have they given up on Carmy in the wing role? Is it now forward or nothing? We know what he can do up forward, but starting to feel the beginning of the end for him. Starts in the midfield/forward role, then wing, now forward because he cant get the ball on the wing.

I saw Ryan at the game, was sporting a decent hand support for that hand injury he has. Hopefully he'll be back training soon.
Saw Reef, McStay, DeMattia -- who said he should be back in 2 weeks.
Carmichael is very limited - pinch hitter forward who can bob up for a couple goals.

You said it’s TIME for Murphy to make a decision - not sure how it can be interpreted other way than you deciding his life for him.

If this urgency is not linked to the MSD or LONG - then why is there any urgency at all?
Again you are talking the MSD and Long and again I reiterate I never mentioned either Long or the Msd,Unlike you I think it is fair enough for the player to give the club some indication about whether or not he plans to play again or do you think we should keep him on the list indefinitely for the duration of his contract without him never playing again.Nathan knows himself if he is going on again or not,2 yrs 3 yrs having to carry a player is too long without being able to pick them.

As I said you need a lot of luck every thing going right,waiting for a player to become engaged again is not what the club needs to win again,I myself would prefer to have another flag and do the right thing by Murphy but he has to do the right thing by the club.

If you want to keep arguing we can and I will but I do not think I will alter your mindset and you certainly will not change mine.

I doubt very much it’s a lack of core strength causing him to be pushed aside. He’s at playing weight for his height.
Just because he’s at playing weight doesn’t mean he automatically has the neccessary core strength to compete as an inside mid. Not a lot of 19 year olds do.

I made it clear in my post about giving a nudge to Murphy that the rush is not for Murphy to retire but to get back into training and into the team to help us achieve success this year. I never mentioned Long or the MSD. Getting a new player in via MSD is obviously not going to contribute to any success this year nor probably in the future. I have no desire for Murphy to retire but I do want him to play.
Fair enough, maybe you said that in a previous post but not in the post I referred to.

I’d like Murphy back tomorrow too. And mcstay. And other youngsters like eyre and Demettia. They are letting the team down by selfishly being unavailable.
Read the post instead of being a smartarse, I absolutely recognised you are a long while out of the game when finished and he had more injuries and head knocks than most players get in their careers but he has to decide not me and not you if I thought it was safe for him to Play on I would be more than pleased.
You specifically say he’s had enough time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, maybe you said that in a previous post but not in the post I referred to.

I’d like Murphy back tomorrow too. And mcstay. And other youngsters like eyre and Demettia. They are letting the team down by selfishly being unavailable.
My previous post contained the detail. The post you replied to didn't require the same detail. The other players you mentioned are all genuinely currently injured. Don't know why you lumped them in with Murphy. I have learned to take your 'fair enough' comments actually mean quite the opposite. Next time don't bother wasting your energy typing the words.

The media are def giving Long a lot of airtime.

If his current form continues I’d certainly hope we are in his ear about forgoing the 6month contract in the MSD in which he could be forced to move interstate, for a guaranteed spot next season with us given his delisted status.

There’s some work we can do behind the scenes im sure. Unfortunately we can’t offer him a discounted property at Torquay like some

My previous post contained the detail. The post you replied to didn't require the same detail. The other players you mentioned are all genuinely currently injured. Don't know why you lumped them in with Murphy. I have learned to take your 'fair enough' comments actually mean quite the opposite. Next time don't bother wasting your energy typing the words.
Because Murphy is genuinely unavailable just as the others are genuinely injured

The media are def giving Long a lot of airtime.

If his current form continues I’d certainly hope we are in his ear about forgoing the 6month contract in the MSD in which he could be forced to move interstate, for a guaranteed spot next season with us given his delisted status.

There’s some work we can do behind the scenes im sure. Unfortunately we can’t offer him a discounted property at Torquay like some
How could we Gurantee we pick him up when he be in the Draft?

How could we Gurantee we pick him up when he be in the Draft?
“Players who have been delisted by their clubs have the freedom to join any rival that offers them a contract during these two periods, avoiding the need to enter the draft”

My understanding of Long is he can just accept a contract if we offer him one at the end of the season. The same as when stengle nominated Geelong

There’s a lot to play out obviously. He’s got decent attributes but needs to have a big season

“Players who have been delisted by their clubs have the freedom to join any rival that offers them a contract during these two periods, avoiding the need to enter the draft”

My understanding of Long is he can just accept a contract if we offer him one at the end of the season. The same as when stengle nominated Geelong

There’s a lot to play out obviously. He’s got decent attributes but needs to have a big season

The difference is that (as we found out after the event) Stengle was not eligible for the MSD. Long is.

A player is now eligible to nominate for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft (MSRD) under any of the following:

• The player nominated for the most recent National Draft but was not selected;
    • Players who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player are available to all clubs should they nominate for the MSRD.
  • The player has previously been on the list of an AFL club (and are therefore not required to have nominated for the most recent National Draft). This refers to the following situations:
    • A delisted player. A player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the MSRD by the same club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent draft.
    • A retired player and/or a player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.
  • A player currently registered in one of the WAFL, SANFL, TSL or VFL and have played a minimum of three matches by the close of nominations on Wednesday 24 May, 2023.
    • The player must have been 18 years of age prior to 1 January 2023
    • A player meeting the above criteria does not need to have nominated for the most recent National Draft.

For a club to participate in the 2023 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, they must have an available rookie list spot by 5pm AEST on Tuesday 30 May, 2023.

If an AFL-listed player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the inactive list and be replaced by a Mid-Season Rookie Draft player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back