VFL VFL Round 5 v Essendon. Saturday April 27. 2:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL-listed players Cooper Macdonald, Harrison Kennedy, Tom Wilson, and Patrick Farrant are the four outs for Saturday’s game.

Saturday April 27
Collingwood v Essendon
Victoria Park, Wurundjeri
2:05pm (AEST)

COLLINGWOOD V ESSENDON
BAsh JohnsonCharlie DeanJakob Ryan
HBTew JiathOleg MarkovWil Parker
CJack BytelNed LongEd Allan
HFJack HutchinsonJoe RichardsJosh Carmichael
FLiam PurcellReef McInnesSam Glover
RAiden BeggFinlay MacraeLachie Sullivan
INTHarry DeMattiaCampbell LaneRyan Sparkes
Conor WillisBen Crocker
EMGHarrison Kennedy

AJ playing in the backline
Interesting eh? Given there had been talk from fans that it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to try some defence. Get him into the game and learn some defensive acts.

AJ in the backline is because Glover is a more natural and better key forward (at least this season).

To be really cynical, it’s because there are other defenders who can hide him and the sting of Glover up front is more than AJ. Cooper MacDonald is unlucky to be dropped but you can’t drop AFL players from the VFL for form reasons alone.

I have little hope for AJ in defence.

The Coburg loss was embarrassing - lose to Essendon and that’s the season.

I def would prefer glover in defence, as we havent seen Ash in that position. Ideally you'd like two Glovers. One forward and one back

If ash does line up there as it suggests here, we'll get an idea one way or another.

The vfl players dropped are unlucky but thats just the nature when you are mostly a healthy list. And one vfl players accept to be on an afl affiliated vfl list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AJ playing in the backline
Hopefully it’s not just chook lotto with the team list and he actually plays there. It’s something I’ve been wanting to see as I don’t think he’ll make it as an AFL forward, even in the VFL his best games have been with significant time in the ruck.

Has similar physical attributes to Howe, so there’s a senior role if he can develop some defensive nous.

Also not the worst thing to give him a new challenge with his confidence low.

I def would prefer glover in defence, as we havent seen Ash in that position. Ideally you'd like two Glovers. One forward and one back

If ash does line up there as it suggests here, we'll get an idea one way or another.

The vfl players dropped are unlucky but thats just the nature when you are mostly a healthy list. And one vfl players accept to be on an afl affiliated vfl list.
Glover forward is something I’d take. We need avenues to score. Purcell is young so that’s why they need another key who’s ready to play there.

Lewis Hayes will play on Glover. He’d leave the remains of AJ on Vic Park.

I’m thrilled to see Ash being named in the backline, thinks it’s absolutely worth a try.

Totally different mind set required and you just get the feeling it could be a really good fit for him.

Fingers crossed for him.

Go Ash!

Also, have really high hopes for Harry de Mattia as a long term high quality player and leader of our club , so all in all, can’t wait for the game, another trip to Vic Park as well (and hope Ash is truly been given a go on the backline!)

Go well Pies 😀

Glover forward is something I’d take. We need avenues to score. Purcell is young so that’s why they need another key who’s ready to play there.

Lewis Hayes will play on Glover. He’d leave the remains of AJ on Vic Park.
Didn't you just say on the AJ thread, criticism is fine as long as it's respectful? How is that respectful?

It's like you couldn't wait to get stuck into Ash again before he's even played this week.

Didn't you just say on the AJ thread, criticism is fine as long as it's respectful? How is that respectful?

It's like you couldn't wait to get stuck into Ash again before he's even played this week.
He would dominate on AJ. I’d say that about any player who’s had the season AJ has had versus a player near AFL standard and consistently in Essendon’s best.

Or it’s like I’m just stating the facts.

He would dominate on AJ. I’d say that about any player who’s had the season AJ has had versus a player near AFL standard and consistently in Essendon’s best.

Or it’s like I’m just stating the facts.
Yeah righto.

Here we go again.

If we know a player is struggling with off field issues, would we keep banging on about how it's affecting their on field performances? Calling them useless, s**t, delist them, reveal how oppo coaches mocked them? And 'leave his remains on Vic Park'. I don't think so. That's not respectful criticism. It's a pile on. And it's started again before he's even played.

He's already been dropped from the seniors.

Clearly he's struggling. And we know why he's down on confidence . And we also all know he's very talented.

Yeah righto.

Here we go again.

If we know a player is struggling with off field issues, would we keep banging on about how it's affecting their on field performances? Calling them useless, s**t, delist them, reveal how oppo coaches mocked them? And 'leave his remains on Vic Park'. I don't think so. That's not respectful criticism. It's a pile on. And it's started again before he's even played.

He's already been dropped from the seniors.

Clearly he's struggling. And we know why he's down on confidence . And we also all know he's very talented.
No coach or analyst would have positive things to say after how AJ has played. I’ve never called him useless or s**t. Why shouldn’t I challenge his contract and ask for him to be delisted? Ruscoe had a more inspiring season at VFL level but went, so did Bianco. Cal Brown, the perineal whipping boy, has looked better than AJ at VFL level this year and so has Will Kelly. Different positions but the point remains.

If he’s struggling, take mental health leave as he has every right to. No different to other injuries.

No coach or analyst would have positive things to say after how AJ has played. I’ve never called him useless or s**t. Why shouldn’t I challenge his contract and ask for him to be delisted? Ruscoe had a more inspiring season at VFL level but went, so did Bianco. Cal Brown, the perineal whipping boy, has looked better than AJ at VFL level this year and so has Will Kelly. Different positions but the point remains.

If he’s struggling, take mental health leave as he has every right to. No different to other injuries.
I'm sure the club are looking after him & know what is best for his mental health. And that's obviously being around the club, his mates and playing football.

It's not in dispute that he's down on form and playing poorly. No one is suggesting otherwise.

But we also know why he's down on form & struggling. That's the point being missed. Banging on about how poorly he's playing, and now before he's even played is not constructive criticism.

VFL-listed players Cooper Macdonald, Harrison Kennedy, Tom Wilson, and Patrick Farrant are the four outs for Saturday’s game.

Saturday April 27
Collingwood v Essendon
Victoria Park, Wurundjeri
2:05pm (AEST)

COLLINGWOOD V ESSENDON
BAsh JohnsonCharlie DeanJakob Ryan
HBTew JiathOleg MarkovWil Parker
CJack BytelNed LongEd Allan
HFJack HutchinsonJoe RichardsJosh Carmichael
FLiam PurcellReef McInnesSam Glover
RAiden BeggFinlay MacraeLachie Sullivan
INTHarry DeMattiaCampbell LaneRyan Sparkes
Conor WillisBen Crocker
EMGHarrison Kennedy
That's quite a decent looking side, with 15 AFL-listed players, and hopefully it will be strong enough to win, something we need after last week's disappointing loss. I'm very keen to see DeMattia, and of course more of Parker. The lack of a genuine ruckman is likely to be an issue again, but I'm hoping we can get around that.

Here's what we're up against: https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/1538964/vfl-rd-5-team-selection-v-collingwood
1714109198133.png
That looks like 12 from Essendon's AFL list.

That's quite a decent looking side, with 15 AFL-listed players, and hopefully it will be strong enough to win, something we need after last week's disappointing loss. I'm very keen to see DeMattia, and of course more of Parker. The lack of a genuine ruckman is likely to be an issue again, but I'm hoping we can get around that.

Here's what we're up against: https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/1538964/vfl-rd-5-team-selection-v-collingwood
View attachment 1971450
That looks like 12 from Essendon's AFL list.
Begg will have to have his wits about him for that battle with Bryan who has 22 disposals and 32 hitouts last week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back