VFL Round 3 Carlton v Collingwood 2.05pm Sunday 14th April

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, and posted above that Long was one of our best yesterday.

What I didn’t post, is that I was at the game for the first three quarters with one of Long’s mates. He too is surprised that Long was not picked up by us, and also surprised that Hawthorn let him go in the first place.

It’s his view that Ned is still maturing into his footy. The lad I was with is also a big kid, about 6.3 in the old tongue, strong and an athlete himself. And he says Ned leaves him for dead with his strength and athleticism.

That’s not everything I know, but after watching him play live and the impact he had, including being involved heavily in the play, I’m scratching my head as to why he is in the VFL.
The one thing Hawthorn have is young inside mids.

Who are you to decide he’s had enough time?
Clarkson took most of last season off.
Murphy will be given as much time as he needs - the narrative that he needs to retire to free up an MSD picks ( ie to get Long) is completely absurd.
I do not give a S--- about Clarkson that is someone else,s worry and I also never said a word about Long or the MSD, do not try putting words into my mouth so that has nothing to do what so ever with what I said.

i am not trying to decide his life for him what an absurd notion,I would say that say that Daicos tackle was very innocuous and he will get a lot worse than that if he does decide to play he has had no physical contact training since that tackle and what does that say to you.

I think the longer he does not play the less chance he has of playing again it is that simple and unlike others here I believe we need everyone to pull their weight to be any chance of defending the flag.

So YOU have decided he’s had enough time.

RIGHT……
Read the post instead of being a smartarse, I absolutely recognised you are a long while out of the game when finished and he had more injuries and head knocks than most players get in their careers but he has to decide not me and not you if I thought it was safe for him to Play on I would be more than pleased.

I do not give a S--- about Clarkson that is someone else,s worry and I also never said a word about Long or the MSD, do not try putting words into my mouth so that has nothing to do what so ever with what I said.

i am not trying to decide his life for him what an absurd notion,I would say that say that Daicos tackle was very innocuous and he will get a lot worse than that if he does decide to play he has had no physical contact training since that tackle and what does that say to you.

I think the longer he does not play the less chance he has of playing again it is that simple and unlike others here I believe we need everyone to pull their weight to be any chance of defending the flag.
You said it’s TIME for Murphy to make a decision - not sure how it can be interpreted any other way than you deciding his life for him.

If this urgency is not linked to the MSD or LONG - then why is there any urgency at all?

Last edited:
A proven premiership player and mainstay to our flag get is given limited time for a MSD potential pick up, absurd is definitely the word to go for with an expletive before hand. God some people lose a grip on these boards of pracitcality and logic with these type of conversations
Listen mate instead of the pile on,read my post I made no mention of Long or the MSD that was some one else,s notion not mine. Tell me where the logic is to having one less player to pick from each week and a player who would have played every game we played so far, unlike others here I think everyone has to be on the same page and fully committed to the cause something which whether you or I like it or not Nathan ATM is finding hard to do.

You said it’s TIME for Murphy to make a decision - no sure how it can be interpreted other you to deciding his life for him.
B------- you interpret it anyway you like and most of them wrong anyway, yes I do believe it is time for Nathan to decide what he is going to do, if he has decided that for 1 reason or another he cannot take physical contact then he should say something about it.

Nonsense reply.

What exactly can Collingwood do TOMORROW with its list if Murphy retired because you wanted to rush it? Ask the AFL perhaps to bring forward the MSD?

What’s the rush is a fair question.
I made it clear in my post about giving a nudge to Murphy that the rush is not for Murphy to retire but to get back into training and into the team to help us achieve success this year. I never mentioned Long or the MSD. Getting a new player in via MSD is obviously not going to contribute to any success this year nor probably in the future. I have no desire for Murphy to retire but I do want him to play.

Last edited:
You’re still talking about someone in Long who is vying to be about the 38th best player on our list. The chances of him coming in and materially changing the fortunes of our senior side in 2024-5 are slim.
I have not mentioned Long or the MSD. Perhaps you should go back a page or so to my original comment re Murphy making a decision on his playing future.

How does rushing him to come back right now if he isn’t ready to help us? (Answer: it doesn’t)

How does forcing him to retire right now help us? (Answer: it doesn’t)
How does not training with the team help him to gain any confidence in his body? I don't want him to make a decision to retire. I want him to make a decision to resume training and play.

B------- you interpret it anyway you like and most of them wrong anyway, yes I do believe it is time for Nathan to decide what he is going to do, if he has decided that for 1 reason or another he cannot take physical contact then he should say something about it.
Not sure how i could be accused of misinterpreting what you’re saying, when you keep repeating it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you obviously have not read news lately, and need to step back a bit i reckon . he has said clearly he is going thru a measured process, and the club is fully supporting him doing that .... a bit of compassion might help also, and at the end of the day it doesnt matter one way or the other .. we have 44 players and he is just one
We have 44 players but very few tall players in positions that count, and our defence seems far more brittle without Murphy in the side. Yes I have read the 'news' lately and frankly I don't see how he is going to go from where he is now to playing in another AFL game. The part I most don't get is why he is on a special program that does not involve training with his team mates. Nobody who has watched Murphy play would ever doubt his courage, and for him to lose confidence to the point where despite being physically OK to play he is training alone is perplexing.

Is there a player sitting in the shadows who’ll step into the team when Murphy retires, to then takes to a flag?

If not - then “your success in 2024” is just complete hyperbole.
Have you not read my posts!!!??? Where have I said that I want Murphy to retire or that anyone who took his place via the MSD would help take us to the flag? You and Timmy twist people's posts to suit your own agendas. :mad:

Different positions, and given the role Murphy plays, you can't stop contact. Like he can easily get a knock to the back of the head in a contest and would be lights out.
Agree, If Murph gets one more that’s it, no it’s and buts he will not play again.
If he’s taking time to do different things to ensure that risk is lessened then what else would you expect him to do?

Agree, If Murph gets one more that’s it, no it’s and buts he will not play again.
If he’s taking time to do different things to ensure that risk is lessened then what else would you expect him to do?
But you are really disagreeing with what I take to be Jen's position - that whatever precautions or changes he makes to his playing style, he is not going to be able to avoid the contact that inevitably comes from playing his position.

Have you not read my posts!!!??? Where have I said that I want Murphy to retire or that anyone who took his place via the MSD would help take us to the flag? You and Timmy twist people's posts to suit your own agendas. :mad:
You should think more carefully about what you post.
In my post I said unless the MSD or LONG were the objective, that there was NO URGENCY for Murphy to retire.

You responded - the urgency is team success in 2024.

So you were unambiguously suggesting Murphy retiring is linked to our success in 2024.

I was simply using your own words to make my point.
I didn’t twist anything.

You should think more carefully about what you post.
In my post I said unless the MSD or LONG were the objective, that there was NO URGENCY for Murphy to retire.

You responded - the urgency is team success in 2024.

So you were unambiguously suggesting Murphy retiring is linked to our success in 2024.

I was simply using your own words to make my point.
I didn’t twist anything.
I was unambiguously saying that having Murphy in the team this year would increase our chances of winning games.

I was unambiguously saying that having Murphy in the team this year would increase our chances of winning games.
Not when you replied - “the urgency is team success in 2024”.
You were unambiguously saying the opposite ie retirement was linked to success.

That’s why I suggested you need to be more considered in what you post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back