VFL Round 3 Carlton v Collingwood 2.05pm Sunday 14th April

Remove this Banner Ad

The rush is our success or lack of it this year.

Nonsense reply.

What exactly can Collingwood do TOMORROW with its list if Murphy retired because you wanted to rush it? Ask the AFL perhaps to bring forward the MSD?

What’s the rush is a fair question.

You’re still talking about someone in Long who is vying to be about the 38th best player on our list. The chances of him coming in and materially changing the fortunes of our senior side in 2024-5 are slim.

How does rushing him to come back right now if he isn’t ready to help us? (Answer: it doesn’t)

How does forcing him to retire right now help us? (Answer: it doesn’t)

Last edited:
You’re still talking about someone who is vying to be about the 38th best player on our list. The chances of him coming in and materially, changing the fortunes of our senior side in 2024-5 are slim.

The other thing about the MSD is that it’s a very shallow pool of players eligible to be picked up in this draft. In the event that a spot opens up it’s not necessarily the right choice to fill the vacancy unless there’s a specific player in their sights. There are very strong arguments to hold the pick until the national draft where there are a LOT more players to choose from.

So your solution to his mental health issues, and using vernacular common to the past, would be tell him to “to snap the f@ck out of it”.

Mind boggling!!
I think Nathan has had enough time to think things through the season is 25% done already and even if he decides to start playing again it is the 2nd half of the season before he is any chance of playing 1,s.

I thought he may come back but I think that tackle from Daicos really stopped him in his tracks and he really does need to make a call 1 way or another.

It is about the team and the club and he knows this himself it is unfortunate for him because he worked so hard to overcome his head knocks and injuries and looked right at home at AFL level but sport can be cruel.

Jeepers......I must have been watching another game. Relatives arrived at half time and I proceeded to tell them that the only players to get excited about were Long and Jiath.

I'm not sure if we can draft Long, but he showed just how good he is today. Good long kick, strong and aggressive in the contest and gives second and third efforts consistently.

I loved his game today and he showed these attributes in the preseason. I remember his first session and wanting to know who he was. None of the trainers knew who he was. When the players had a break, I asked WHE and he said that the team was told he was joining training and that he came from the VFL Box Hill Hawks.

Watching training has taught me a lot over the years; not all players who shine on the track, or win sprints or time trials, turn into AFL standard players. As supporters, we can be easily seduced and I plead guilty to this.

Ned Long stood out at the training sessions I saw, and I was very disappointed when he was selected as a VFL player only. He was clearly the equal of Bytel and Sullivan, and streets ahead of Sam Sofronidis. I thought he offered us more than Sullivan because of his size and kicking ability. We chose Bytel and Sullivan, and whilst I obviously hope they are successful, I just cant understand how Long was overlooked.

Tonight over dinner, my sister asked me if we could pick him up in the MSD and I told her I wasn't sure. Can anybody advise as to how we could work this?

I agree, and posted above that Long was one of our best yesterday.

What I didn’t post, is that I was at the game for the first three quarters with one of Long’s mates. He too is surprised that Long was not picked up by us, and also surprised that Hawthorn let him go in the first place.

It’s his view that Ned is still maturing into his footy. The lad I was with is also a big kid, about 6.3 in the old tongue, strong and an athlete himself. And he says Ned leaves him for dead with his strength and athleticism.

That’s not everything I know, but after watching him play live and the impact he had, including being involved heavily in the play, I’m scratching my head as to why he is in the VFL.

They have zero feel for the game. Every contest involves a whistle!

Mr Park was at the game with me, and he said the same thing. If you give some blokes a whistle, they can’t help but use it. It puts them ‘in’ the game.

I think Nathan has had enough time to think things through the season is 25% done already and even if he decides to start playing again it is the 2nd half of the season before he is any chance of playing 1,s.

I thought he may come back but I think that tackle from Daicos really stopped him in his tracks and he really does need to make a call 1 way or another.

It is about the team and the club and he knows this himself it is unfortunate for him because he worked so hard to overcome his head knocks and injuries and looked right at home at AFL level but sport can be cruel.

So YOU have decided he’s had enough time.

RIGHT……

I agree, and posted above that Long was one of our best yesterday.

What I didn’t post, is that I was at the game for the first three quarters with one of Long’s mates. He too is surprised that Long was not picked up by us, and also surprised that Hawthorn let him go in the first place.

It’s his view that Ned is still maturing into his footy. The lad I was with is also a big kid, about 6.3 in the old tongue, strong and an athlete himself. And he says Ned leaves him for dead with his strength and athleticism.

That’s not everything I know, but after watching him play live and the impact he had, including being involved heavily in the play, I’m scratching my head as to why he is in the VFL.
Might have been Bytel’s fitness and ability to play wing that saw him picked up.

I don’t think Long goes in the MSD. I think the Coates League will be raided instead. We will then sign him in the DFA window.

Hawthorn will regret letting this one go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are you to decide he’s had enough time?
Clarkson took most of last season off.
Murphy will be given as much time as he needs - the narrative that he needs to retire to free up an MSD picks ( ie to get Long) is completely absurd.

Who are you to decide he’s had enough time?
Clarkson took most of last season off.
Murphy will be given as much time as he needs - the narrative that he needs to retire to free up an MSD picks ( ie to get Long) is completely absurd.

A proven premiership player and mainstay to our flag get is given limited time for a MSD potential pick up, absurd is definitely the word to go for with an expletive before hand. God some people lose a grip on these boards of pracitcality and logic with these type of conversations

There is no rush. If he retires today, it doesn't help us in any way.

Murphy needs a nudge, either to get out on the ground and play or resign. This 'getting your head right' stuff is going on far too long. If he won't even train with the players, what hope has he of ever playing another game? I love the guy, but enough is enough. Anything that forces a decision out of him is fine by me.
you obviously have not read news lately, and need to step back a bit i reckon . he has said clearly he is going thru a measured process, and the club is fully supporting him doing that .... a bit of compassion might help also, and at the end of the day it doesnt matter one way or the other .. we have 44 players and he is just one

Last edited:
you obviously have not read news lately, and need to step back a bit i reckon . he has said clearly he is going thru a measured proces, adn the club is fully supportinghim doing that .... a bit of compassion might help also, adn at the end of teh day it doesnt matter one way or the other .. we have 44 players and he is just one
It's become a ludicrous obsession with some posters.

It's become a ludicrous obsession with some posters.
We are better with him out there, he’s a known quantity and an asset to the club, if we can get him back on track that’s a good story, if he feels he’s had enough, it is what it is.

I’d prefer to take my time with Murphy than rush someone who hasn’t made the grade (previously / yet). We know what Murphy is capable of and it makes us better, worth the wait IMHO

We are better with him out there, he’s a known quantity and an asset to the club, if we can get him back on track that’s a good story, if he feels he’s had enough, it is what it is.

I’d prefer to take my time with Murphy than rush someone who hasn’t made the grade (previously / yet). We know what Murphy is capable of and it makes us better, worth the wait IMHO
Agreed. It's his decision. It's his career. It's his life.

As for people insisting he must retire immediately and going on & on & on about it...well, it's just become tiresome.

It's no benefit to the club if he retires today.

I drifted in and out of this one (juggling a toddler, a fence build and VFL footy is tough work), but what impressed me most was the quality of our VFL listed players.

The quality of an AFL teams state league squad is usually dictated by one of the depth of high end talent (GC and North currently), the experience of their depth and the quality of their VFL list. Our depth is a little young to be carrying us the same as the Casey Demons were when they were up and about recently and we definitely don’t have the quality of youngster GC and North have. However in Long, Crocker, Glover, Sofronidis, Hutchinson and the one that took me by surprise yesterday MacDonald we’ve got the best group I’ve seen since we went stand alone. It’s a credit to Fraser and the staff who’ve been so diligent in putting together a strong squad.

I liked Long’s game, Macrae was solid without grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and Bytel was busy when I was tuning in. Maybe it was because the quarter I saw the most of was the last which was scratchy, but I didn’t see anyone standing out. MacDonald though won a number of ground balls, looks tough as an old boot and was composed ball in hand. I don’t know if there’s AFL scope there, but I wasn’t expecting that.

Without knowing what teams have LTI and open list spots for the MSD draft I had a look at the draft order if the MSD was held today.

As it stands, I cannot see a need for Long at any of the clubs below us.

1. North Melbourne - don't need any more mids. Only KPP or maybe a ruck to help Xerri
2. Hawthorn - like North, no need for a mid (funny that they delisted Long though as their midfield is struggling)
3. West Coast Eagles - similar to North and Hawks. Could maybe do with some outside run though.
4. Richmond - only team that may see the need for a player like Long. Their key position depth is really bad at the moment though
5. Adelaide - they've got too many mids similar to Long. Need more key defensive depth.
6. Collingwood - If Richmond don't see the need for Long, I can see him falling to us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game itself. it did feel like we did have the bye. Was a bit scrappy. Was better as the game went on, and they started to take the game on.
Given it was his first full game since the pre-season games, Fin did well enough and led the way. He'll be better for the run. He was cooked by the end of the game though.

Allan showed good moments in patches, but still seems to drift in and out of games, which hopefully he finds some consistency this year. They had him playing inside, then swapped him and bytel between wing and inside. There was a number of players that rotated through the middle in the 2nd half. Sullivan did a couple CB, along with Sparkes too. But the main ones seemed to be Long, Fin and Allan as the main three.

It was very scrappy, but they showed heart and never give up attitude. That's one thing we know about both programs, afl and vfl, same sort of attitude in giving everything you have.

Crocker was really good in his first game of the season and against his old side. Didn't get a heap of of it, but more playing that forward role that suits him well.

Ned Long was very noticable. Just a real presence in the midfield and who can kick goals up forward. He's gonna be very good for us this year, as long as he doesn't get taken in MSD.
Hutchinson doesn't need much of it to make an impact. His got a strong body and knows how to impact the scoreboard.

Jiath is really starting to show his skills, the way he intercepts, he could be the one that might replace Howe once he retires.

Have they given up on Carmy in the wing role? Is it now forward or nothing? We know what he can do up forward, but starting to feel the beginning of the end for him. Starts in the midfield/forward role, then wing, now forward because he cant get the ball on the wing.

I saw Ryan at the game, was sporting a decent hand support for that hand injury he has. Hopefully he'll be back training soon.
Saw Reef, McStay, DeMattia -- who said he should be back in 2 weeks.

Jeepers......I must have been watching another game. Relatives arrived at half time and I proceeded to tell them that the only players to get excited about were Long and Jiath.

I'm not sure if we can draft Long, but he showed just how good he is today. Good long kick, strong and aggressive in the contest and gives second and third efforts consistently.

I loved his game today and he showed these attributes in the preseason. I remember his first session and wanting to know who he was. None of the trainers knew who he was. When the players had a break, I asked WHE and he said that the team was told he was joining training and that he came from the VFL Box Hill Hawks.

Watching training has taught me a lot over the years; not all players who shine on the track, or win sprints or time trials, turn into AFL standard players. As supporters, we can be easily seduced and I plead guilty to this.

Ned Long stood out at the training sessions I saw, and I was very disappointed when he was selected as a VFL player only. He was clearly the equal of Bytel and Sullivan, and streets ahead of Sam Sofronidis. I thought he offered us more than Sullivan because of his size and kicking ability. We chose Bytel and Sullivan, and whilst I obviously hope they are successful, I just cant understand how Long was overlooked.

Tonight over dinner, my sister asked me if we could pick him up in the MSD and I told her I wasn't sure. Can anybody advise as to how we could work this?
I know of one listed pie who was stunned we took Bytel over Long after what they showed in pre season

I know Carmichael ended kicking 3, but I think from what he showed early after we drafted him, he should now be absolutely dominating at this level. Allan also has been a shade disappointing, doesn't seem to have any grunt factor in his game ~ just goes through the motions. We have the oldest list in the league ~ there will be senior spots up for grabs soon. Also, I'd like a rule change, which I know won't happen ~ If a side has nurtured a player through their VFL program, they should have first call on him for the MSD. I agree that is is hard to fathom how Bytel was taken before Long as an SSP ~ I can only think that Bytel received an official invitation, but Long wasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back