VFL Round 3 Carlton v Collingwood 2.05pm Sunday 14th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Without going anywhere near tanking or otherwise for a MSD selection, I just wonder how clever we were with our 3 PSSD selections in Feb. Hindsight can make any judge a genius but given we knew DMc was unavailable for most of the season, NM was an uncertain starter and we hardly have a forest of tall timber i was surprised we went one tall and 2 inside ish mids.
The hindsight really comes from what we have seen in 3 VFL games, so only a quick glance in the rear view mirror but many would go Long ahead of both selected mids ( younger as well ) . Not sure there is a huge differnece between the 2 guys we selected who look good honest VFL players unlikely to make much of difference at AFL level. For these reason i'd have gone 2 tall and one mid, i liked what i saw of Sof in the Brisbane game and Eyre was looking good over the summer albeit a nagging doubt about soft tissue concerns.

Last edited:
Without going anywhere near tanking or otherwise for a MSD selection, I just wonder how clever we were with our 3 PSSD selections in Feb. Hindsight can make any judge a genius but given we knew DMc was unavailable for most of the season, NM was an uncertain starter and we hardly have a forest of tall timber i was surprised we went one tall and 2 inside ish mids.
The hindsight really comes from what we have seen in 3 VFL games, so only a quick glance in the rear view mirror but many would go Long ahead of both selected mids ( younger as well ) . Not sure there is a huge differnece between the 2 guys we selcted who look good honest VFL players unlikely to make much of differnece at AFL level. for these reason i's have gone 2 tall and one mid, i liked what i saw of Sof in the Brisbane game and Eyre was looking good over the summer albeit a naggin doubt about soft tissue concerns.

Midfield is the area that we are going to need to replace retirees. Sullivan and Bytel look a chance to me. Both look very clean. Don't mind what we did. Just remember that they're long shots. They're alternatives to pick 50+ in the draft.

Think Macdonald and Sparkes both offer some nice traits. Ones to watch if they will be considered by us or other clubs. Too early to tell but have some impressive traits.
Both looked very VFL to me. MacDonald reminded me of Kerrison - worse kick though...

Just to be clear about the rules, if we were to get in Longs ear and commit to take him as a DFA at the end of the year should his form continue, he can eschew the MSD and ND and sign up with us for free? (Ie no picks required) - if his form holds I’d be laying the groundwork. Looks a likely prospect.

Watched most of the game, always good to see Carlton lose two days in a row. Nice to see Benny Crocker back in the black & white and kicked a couple of important goals.

A couple of players that caught my eye:

Tew Jiath: Still raw as hell and needs to put on size. But appears to read the play really well, doesn't panic, and looks taller than advertised. Can he play the Howe role in the future?

Aiden Begg: Spewing about Steene going off as it meant we had to use Beggy as the main ruck for the rest of the game without a lot of help.
He is someone who has a bit to work with I think, did not perform amazingly in the hitouts but followup work was very good, had 11 tackles and 6 clearances, both the same as Fin.
Would love to see him blossom as another 2nd ruck option because Mason has just been going IMO.

Just to be clear about the rules, if we were to get in Longs ear and commit to take him as a DFA at the end of the year should his form continue, he can eschew the MSD and ND and sign up with us for free? (Ie no picks required) - if his form holds I’d be laying the groundwork. Looks a likely prospect.
Correct. North did this with Toby Pink.

Not when you replied - “the urgency is team success in 2024”.
You were unambiguously saying the opposite ie retirement was linked to success.

That’s why I suggested you need to be more considered in what you post

We have 44 players but very few tall players in positions that count, and our defence seems far more brittle without Murphy in the side. Yes I have read the 'news' lately and frankly I don't see how he is going to go from where he is now to playing in another AFL game. The part I most don't get is why he is on a special program that does not involve training with his team mates. Nobody who has watched Murphy play would ever doubt his courage, and for him to lose confidence to the point where despite being physically OK to play he is training alone is perplexing.
Moot point now - he has gone. Lets move on ...

Just finished watching the VFL replay and gee I thought Jiath looked great! Seemed to get his light frame in some really good positions in both marking contests and general play. He looked fast and had solid disposal skills.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a chance this year.

And some poster on here said he wouldn’t make it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just finished watching the VFL replay and gee I thought Jiath looked great! Seemed to get his light frame in some really good positions in both marking contests and general play. He looked fast and had solid disposal skills.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a chance this year.

TJ is coming along very nicely, I’m confident he will be a player for us. But he is skinny!

Pretty sure his brother who plays for Hawthorn - CJ? - was sitting in front of us on Sunday, and he is much stronger, with a more developed physique. Hopefully TJ will follow the same physical development.

TJ is coming along very nicely, I’m confident he will be a player for us. But he is skinny!

Pretty sure his brother who plays for Hawthorn - CJ? - was sitting in front of us on Sunday, and he is much stronger, with a more developed physique. Hopefully TJ will follow the same physical development.
Old manic doesn't have much of an eye for talent but he will be one hell of a player for us

I would like to see Steene and Begg trialled as key position as not sure they can make it as a ruckman at the next level.
Would be good to pick up a ruckman from somewhere to play vfl so we can do this, or....... just drop cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes

c61d6c88df396cce088114bddcfb6539.jpg

81ae6c665a332370d362c6a22c49cf4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to see Steene and Begg trialled as key position as not sure they can make it as a ruckman at the next level.
Would be good to pick up a ruckman from somewhere to play vfl so we can do this, or....... just drop cox

Steene took some Strong Marks and Kicked a Few Goals last year

Tough, fast , aggressive, good mark and good size - he has all the elements for HB role. Hopefully he can keep building on his performances, and makes it.

Does not Panic when has the Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back