VFL Round 3 Carlton v Collingwood 2.05pm Sunday 14th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Allan did have a big last quarter, he was involved a fair bit
Apex assures me he was consistent all game. I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable or observant as him, so I am happily conceding defeat. I may have thought he was someone else when squinting at the 13 inch laptop screen in the first half.

I'm not sure if they were a good thing though. When we were in lockdown mode he kept on wrenching it out and handballing it into space.

Yeah no particular comment as to the effectiveness, just noticed he got his hands on it when there was plenty of heat in the kitchen.

Apex assures me he was consistent all game. I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable or observant as him, so I am happily conceding defeat. I may have thought he was someone else when squinting at the 13 inch laptop screen in the first half.
He was good in the first and last quarter. Can go missing a bit and is still a bit rusty on his decision making. It's his lack of core strength that is holding him back, he gets pushed aside easily

Gun KPP are getting $$$ in the country or metro.
Lower training standards so lighter on body, fewer training sessions, less travelling, more reliable games and more payment above and below the table. Unless a player is a genuine chance to make the AFL or likes playing at the highest level or simply wants to, then there is no reason to play VFL. There would be more players more talented than on the VFL list who star in other positions out there playing country or metro footy, too.

Fin Macrae did his chances of a senior recall no harm with a strong performance in Collingwood's one-point win over Carlton on Sunday.

Macrae had a game-high 29 disposals to go with 10 tackles and six clearances.

Aiden Begg played a big role, finishing the game with 12 disposals, 11 hitouts, 10 tackles and seven clearances.

Ed Allan (23 disposals), Jack Bytel (21), Oleg Markov (19) and Lachie Sullivan (19) were also important.

Tew Jiath had 16 disposals and Josh Carmichael kicked three goals from his nine touches.

Forward Ash Johnson was unable to make the most of his chances, kicking 0.3 from nine disposals, while Joe Richards kicked one goal from nine touches.

Jeepers......I must have been watching another game. Relatives arrived at half time and I proceeded to tell them that the only players to get excited about were Long and Jiath.

I'm not sure if we can draft Long, but he showed just how good he is today. Good long kick, strong and aggressive in the contest and gives second and third efforts consistently.

I loved his game today and he showed these attributes in the preseason. I remember his first session and wanting to know who he was. None of the trainers knew who he was. When the players had a break, I asked WHE and he said that the team was told he was joining training and that he came from the VFL Box Hill Hawks.

Watching training has taught me a lot over the years; not all players who shine on the track, or win sprints or time trials, turn into AFL standard players. As supporters, we can be easily seduced and I plead guilty to this.

Ned Long stood out at the training sessions I saw, and I was very disappointed when he was selected as a VFL player only. He was clearly the equal of Bytel and Sullivan, and streets ahead of Sam Sofronidis. I thought he offered us more than Sullivan because of his size and kicking ability. We chose Bytel and Sullivan, and whilst I obviously hope they are successful, I just cant understand how Long was overlooked.

Tonight over dinner, my sister asked me if we could pick him up in the MSD and I told her I wasn't sure. Can anybody advise as to how we could work this?

Jeepers......I must have been watching another game. Relatives arrived at half time and I proceeded to tell them that the only players to get excited about were Long and Jiath.

I'm not sure if we can draft Long, but he showed just how good he is today. Good long kick, strong and aggressive in the contest and gives second and third efforts consistently.

I loved his game today and he showed these attributes in the preseason. I remember his first session and wanting to know who he was. None of the trainers knew who he was. When the players had a break, I asked WHE and he said that the team was told he was joining training and that he came from the VFL Box Hill Hawks.

Watching training has taught me a lot over the years; not all players who shine on the track, or win sprints or time trials, turn into AFL standard players. As supporters, we can be easily seduced and I plead guilty to this.

Ned Long stood out at the training sessions I saw, and I was very disappointed when he was selected as a VFL player only. He was clearly the equal of Bytel and Sullivan, and streets ahead of Sam Sofronidis. I thought he offered us more than Sullivan because of his size and kicking ability. We chose Bytel and Sullivan, and whilst I obviously hope they are successful, I just cant understand how Long was overlooked.

Tonight over dinner, my sister asked me if we could pick him up in the MSD and I told her I wasn't sure. Can anybody advise as to how we could work this?
I agree, I like Long and thought he had been really good through pre-season
as for MSD... unless we open up a spot, we can't. So best we can do is hope he gets overlooked and we get him at the end of the year.

That's terrible news really, because he has a red hot go and throws his body into contests without fear. He kicks like a mule and, and, and, and....... lowers his eyes and doesn't just kick it anywhere. After watching him today, I'm disappointed all over again that we underrated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae - 31 disposals, 6 clearances, 11 tackles
Allan - 25 disposals, 4 clearances, 3 tackles
Bytel - 23 disposals, 7 marks, 3 clearances
Sullivan - 21 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles
Markov - 20 disposals, 6 marks
Jiath - 18 disposals, 5 marks
Dean - 14 disposals, 6 marks
Harrison - 13 disposals, 3 tackles
Begg - 12 disposals, 11 tackles, 11 HO, 6 clearances
Carmichael - 10 disposals, 3 goals, 3 tackles
Richards - 9 disposals, 1 goal, 3 tackles
Johnson - 9 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles

VFL
Long - 28 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles, 10 marks
Glover - 23 disposals, 10 marks
Lane - 21 disposals, 5 marks
Macdonald - 19 disposals, 5 marks
Sparkes - 15 disposals, 6 marks, 6 tackles
Crocker - 11 disposals, 3 goals, 7 marks
Hutchinson - 9 disposals, 2 goals
Hartman - 6 disposals, 3 marks
Kennedy - 5 disposals, 1 goal

Agree on Macrae, I too was surprised when I saw the stats sheet…and sure that it will necessarily translate to AFL. We saw similar numbers and form last year from him.

Agree on Long also, would love to get him but I think we need to prioritise a tall.

Jiath is an offensive weapon! Really excited to see how he develops.

Was impressed by Allan, was a bit fumbly at times but will develop into a handy player with confidence, was a late starter on the AFL scene.

Im really keen to see Sullivan given a go at AFL level, perhaps if Pendles doesn’t get up.

Harvey Harrison did some nice things as well and should be another who is considered for selection in the near term.

Thought on Sullivan at half back? I didn't mind it, seemed to be a good read of the footy down back. Took some nice marks. Be interesting if this is something they are gonna persist with.
Did do a little CB in the 2nd half, but didn't really do anything in the middle.

1) Crocker a class above. A real VFL Dustin Martin.
2) Long looks like a VFL Patrick Cripps.
….1) and 2)… 1) and 2) never previously translated to AFL
3) TJ looks damn good 👌
4) What position would Begg actually play in AFL. Some kind of giant, Auskick ruck rover?

Put Murphy on long term injury list. Get himself right. How’s his contract status? If his contact is up, rookie list him or wave him on. Footy is a business. Sorry dude. You know the risks. If you are medically unable to play, insurance pay outs are there to help. Thanks for your service, much appreciated, life moves on.

In NBA you can be swapped to any team, any where.
In NFL you can be cut any time.
It’s called professional sport because it’s a business.

Murphy needs a nudge, either to get out on the ground and play or resign. This 'getting your head right' stuff is going on far too long. If he won't even train with the players, what hope has he of ever playing another game? I love the guy, but enough is enough. Anything that forces a decision out of him is fine by me.

What’s the rush?

If he hasn’t made a decision by the MSD, I’d imagine we could/would simply put him on the LTI list?

Allan ain’t making it.

You’re going a bit early there.

He’s a 19 year old contracted until the end of 2026.

The club have seen enough in him to give him all the chances in the world to make it.

He was good in the first and last quarter. Can go missing a bit and is still a bit rusty on his decision making. It's his lack of core strength that is holding him back, he gets pushed aside easily
I doubt very much it’s a lack of core strength causing him to be pushed aside. He’s at playing weight for his height.

Like the way this VFL side is shaping up. Another 12 months from some of them and we will have some real quality coming through, not forgetting we have Eyre and DeMattia yet to play.

And Parker. But yeah, hopefully Harry comes in and just plays at a different speed, really shows out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back