Review Round 2: Collingwood 36-36 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of our last 17 games, we have kicked over 100 points twice and one of those was against the Gold Coast. While the game is obviously becoming far more defensive, it's pretty obvious our attack has problems. I see a lot of criticism of guys like WHE, Elliot, JT, etc but to me they just aren't getting any opportunity. I thought WHE did well last night presenting up the ground, but after 1/4 time and especially after 1/2 time, we were basically bombing the ball forward from just outside the Tigers F50.

It appears our gameplan is to flood back and then work the ball out in numbers (hence being the #1 possession team in the AFL) which is good if you can do it, but Richmond shut it down after quarter time last night and we looked clueless after that. Over possessing the ball also allows teams to get set defensively, shown by the amount of easy intercept marks Richmond took last night. At the end of the day, we probably should have won last night, but Richmond felt like the better side for 3 of the 4 quarters and by a fair margin too. If you look at how they play which is to get the ball moving forward at all costs, it's unsettling to opposition defenders because they can't set up. Compare that to the Pies where we usually handball backwards to an open man or mess around with the ball trying to find the open man which lets the opposition set up defensively or at least get numbers back.
I agree working the ball into our forward line more effectively is something that we need to work on

The more time that goes on, the more harsh I think we're being on our entire forward group, particularly our smaller forwards who'd normally get some extra service from Cox; WHE, JT, Elliott. Not only that but the ball hardly came down there.

They're hardly going to get 10+ touches each when the ball comes inside 50 just over 30 times.

By the same token, it'd be unrealistic to think that Stephenson would've had significant impact to the point where he wins us the game.

The more time that goes on, the more harsh I think we're being on our entire forward group, particularly our smaller forwards who'd normally get some extra service from Cox; WHE, JT, Elliott. Not only that but the ball hardly came down there.

They're hardly going to get 10+ touches each when the ball comes inside 50 just over 30 times.

By the same token, it'd be unrealistic to think that Stephenson would've had significant impact to the point where he wins us the game.

One better effective disposal than Thomas and the game is won.

I don’t mind the 16 minute quarters. Less time for anxiety.:oops:

On Checkers, I don’t recall a time when he hasn’t bounced back after a bad game. Will kick four against the Saints.

On JDG, to steal a quote from another poster, we need more ‘do’ and less ‘hair’ out of him.

Soooo good to see young Daicos hitting his straps. Four years in and he was running out of time.

We need him to keep up the Daicos/Brown/Moore trilogy. Ok, so there are two Browns, and another Daicos coming. And then there’s Kelly (we hope). The sons of guns will constitute more than a quarter of the team soon.:p

Stated this in my notes post, we need Cox in atleast makes more of a presence than Cameron

Definitely. Cameron looks to be a ruckman. If he turns into a forward, great.... but as a forward he’s a 24 year old two game project player.

Apart from Cox all we have is Reid.

Unfortunately too many list spots have been wasted on dead wood including Reid Varcoe Dunn and 2-3 others, and this limits our opportunities to develop young players ( especially in our case young key position players).

That problem isn’t going to be fixed soon. In the meantime Cox is our best and only option unless we go small with De Goey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned in the pre-game thread that JT was a passenger. I don’t hate the bloke, he’s just not best 22. Posters thought I was delusional.

Daicos & C.Brown played well.

We lost momentum the moment Grundy got injured. He was losing tap outs to Lynch.

I’m not gonna speak on the umpiring blunders. They just frustrate me too much.

I’ve been saying our defence is amazing. They had 44 inside 50’s for 11 scoring shots.
However, it’s scary that we can’t kick 6 goals in 100 minutes.

De GOEY & Elliot are disappointing. Hope we keep Moore over De Goey if they choice arises.

Cox, Stephenson & Treloar would change our team completely. 2 of our top 10 players and most important player for our structure.

I don’t mind the 16 minute quarters. Less time for anxiety.:oops:

On Checkers, I don’t recall a time when he hasn’t bounced back after a bad game. Will kick four against the Saints.

On JDG, to steal a quote from another poster, we need more ‘do’ and less ‘hair’ out of him.

Soooo good to see young Daicos hitting his straps. Four years in and he was running out of time.

We need him to keep up the Daicos/Brown/Moore trilogy. Ok, so there are two Browns, and another Daicos coming. And then there’s Kelly (we hope). The sons of guns will constitute more than a quarter of the team soon.:p
Unless we are clearly winning, in which case maybe you would want the quarters to go as long as possible.

Bear in mind they only "kicked" 5 themselves.
One from the (f) ARC (up), one from a Shaidive and Lynch got lucky with one that landed in his hands from memory too.
We held their star studded team to the same score they held us to.

Bear in mind they only "kicked" 5 themselves.
One from the (f) ARC (up), one from a Shaidive and Lynch got lucky with one that landed in his hands from memory too.
We held their star studded team to the same score they held us to.

Yes, I get that. In my opinion, our defence is the best in the league, and the Tigers have shown their ability to kick a high score.
We just never seem to kick massive scores. 11 points in 3 quarters of football is just not good enough.

Unless we are clearly winning, in which case maybe you would want the quarters to go as long as possible.

Yes, but, the shorter quarters can also put a stop to the opposition being dominant. Being on a roll. Changes the dynamic. Throws a spanner in the works.

The shorter quarters could also give the coaches cause to rethink how and where they use players, and for how long. Some players will thrive. Daicos may already be a beneficiary.

I like it for now anyway. I’m also flakey and might change my mind next week.

I mentioned in the pre-game thread that JT was a passenger. I don’t hate the bloke, he’s just not best 22. Posters thought I was delusional.

Daicos & C.Brown played well.

We lost momentum the moment Grundy got injured. He was losing tap outs to Lynch.

I’m not gonna speak on the umpiring blunders. They just frustrate me too much.

I’ve been saying our defence is amazing. They had 44 inside 50’s for 11 scoring shots.

De GOEY & Elliot are disappointing. Hope we keep Moore over De Goey if they choice arises.

Cox, Stephenson & Treloar would change our team completely. 2 of our top 10 players and most important player for our structure.

Whilst you may think you have been vindicated on Thomas’ relatively poor showing last night, think you may be a bit strong calling him a passenger. 48 of the last 50 games means he is still a big part of our plans.

No other small fwds really shot the lights out. Tough night. But not averse to dropping him. No one called you delusional, just ageist!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If there was a camera on the thinner post (point) pointing toward the thicker post (goal) there would be a clear view. However, the camera would have to be on the edge of the padding to get a correct read. There is no way a camera on the left goal post pointing toward the right point post can give any indication of where the mark was taken. Firstly, the line between the camera and the right goal post is on an angle. Secondly, that angle continues on the other side of the right post. So that mark, in reality, would have been taken at least a foot over the line. This suggests to me that a score review can only take place when the ball passes between the goal posts only. Any other reviews are pure guesses and by definition are not certain. The AFL must either add cameras to point posts or only review on scores between the goal posts.
On the bolded, why? Are you referring to this imaginary rule about the line not being the line and the back of the goalposts having an imaginary line between them? Because that doesn’t actually exist.

i was listening to the radio today and it seems everyone wasn't impressed with last nights game. It seems that all the media hipster types are regular punters, are regular smart arses and are regular critics of the style of footy these days. Hasn't anyone told these style gurus that the guys playing the sport have been training alone for a couple of months and then had a few inhouse practice games?

Dont get me wrong. There are many aspects of 80/90s footy that I liked. The defensive strategies used today have stifled a lot of the spectacular aspects of the sport. I support the rule changes that are trying to wind the clock back a bit. However, this continual trendy nose in the air bashing of the game is giving me the sheets. So go and watch your NBA crap, which involves 60 minutes of boring dunking followed by a couple of minutes excitement at the end... or to the soccer where you can spend hours and hours watching nothing but little short passes and sweet luck anything else... or NRL which produces 3 good games every year called state of origin. I'm just sick of em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back