Review Round 10, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a solid team effort and I didn't think there were many bad players on the ground.

What I liked the most was seeing Fages at least try some different midfield combos in the last and it was great to see Reville and Rayner in there.

I thought Rayner had a bit of an off night and still seemed a bit lost in his center bounces in the last. I want him to become a midfielder desperately, to my eye he seems to lack that quick lateral movement, instead he needs to run straight lines through the contest. Unfortunately we pretty much exclusively give that role to Neale, it was noticable that for more of his center clearances Rayner was setup with his back to the goal, when really he needs to be coming from the defensive side of the contest through the pack to take it forward.

What to me made Rayner's lack of intuition in the middle was even more start by seeing Reville in there. Bruce has been a very pleasant surprise with his kicking and he didn't look out of his depth running through the middle either. His good form has also allowed Berry to spend more time inside, which is only a positive for the team going forward.

Berry really is the one playing his "contract year" up to get that bonus right now.

Agreed, Rayner's midfield window is closing in my opinion with Will on his way back and Berry going to the middle which is complementing Dunkley in the defensive side of things. Next year we'll have more natural midfielders like Levi who would play more instinctively compared to Cam. I haven't seen Reville's minutes in the middle yet, but that'll be a great bonus if he's showing signs or ability to share midfield load.

The one other dark horse, at least in my opinion, is Brain. Whenever he's come on as a sub I've seen him instinctively run to space, get the ball in traffic and under pressure hit targets. Now I can't tell whether it was because he was fresher than the ones chasing him in Q4 but he was really good against Adelaide - there were couple of pinpoint kicks under pressure which was a pleasant surprise for me. I feel he'd be another one worth trialling through midfield as he has the burst speed and sharp kicking traits which our midfield combo currently lack.

In the earlier post AFLQLD said about how Reville's long kicking would be a great fit next to Coleman. It frees up Brain in my view and we could trial him in few other spots through the middle. He looks like good fit as a receiver who has the pace to clear away from congestion and hit a target downfield.

One of the best pieces of play last night was when Joe got the ball on the wing and one of the options for him was a 2v1 against Morris well ahead of him and he showed the confidence in Morris to put it where he could mark it , which he almost did drawing a free.

So Morris would have walked a bit taller after that.
my favorite joe moment was when he went to give McCluggage a run on pass, which sadly ended up being a goal for himself

sometimes you just can't win ;)

So at one point (I think in the second half) Harris was about mid field, bench side wing while ball was in our forward 50.

No other lions player within 30+m but two Richmond players sticking to him like glue - step for step.

Double tagged - massive respect to Harris.

I am just wondering, does the extra percentge help us that much? As we have a draw, the only teams that percentage will be important will be against teams that also have had a draw as we will never be on the same points as other teams. Important to be above the other teams that have had the draw tho

I am just wondering, does the extra percentge help us that much? As we have a draw, the only teams that percentage will be important will be against teams that also have had a draw as we will never be on the same points as other teams. Important to be above the other teams that have had the draw tho

If Bombers drop a little, it'll definitely help against them.

Points are the main thing, but in a year with little room for error percentage will absolutely help.

Yeah the draw makes percentage matter way less. Actually probably a blessing for us fans to not have to worry about the margin as much as we do seem to switch off sometimes.

I doubt we have ever lost the clearances by 1 but won the game by 119 points.
Super accurate goal shooting. Let's hope that continues and does not revert back to our yearly average v Hawks.
This game was a confidence and % booster. I can't see us being overconfident v Hawks seeing our last win was in 2019.

Tigers' depth just not up to covering their injury woes whereas our replacements all showing good form and more importantly showing they belong at AFL level.
Lohmann super impressive. He has been good in all his full games and that includes the Sydney (16 disposals) preseason game.
Sharp has bulked up and vastly improved in the VFL this season.
When promoted to AFL this season he has finally showed he belongs at AFL level. Now in his 4th season.
Reville also converted his excellent VFL form to AFL which does not always happen especially in your 1st AFL season.
On Reville he did increase his TOG to 68% from the previous two games of 53% & 60%
The club most likely easing him into the extra fitness load required going from VFL to AFL.
Reville also managed the 6th best meters gained with limited TOG.

Zorko effort in relation to TOG is pretty impressive.
Below from fan footy in TOG order.

1716083960906.png

Usually it wouldn’t matter given we’ve had the draw, although it just so happens the other 3 teams who have had draws this year are teams we could be fighting out positions for in the 8, so it could actually mean something this year. Was good to put the foot down last night and improve it anyway.

It's a strange feeling, I'm so used to cheering the lower teams beating the higher ones to keep our top 4 chances alive, however, this season I'm cheering the top teams to be the lower and keep our top 8 chances alive!

I doubt we have ever lost the clearances by 1 but won the game by 119 points.
Super accurate goal shooting. Let's hope that continues and does not revert back to our yearly average v Hawks.
This game was a confidence and % booster. I can't see us being overconfident v Hawks seeing our last win was in 2019.

Tigers' depth just not up to covering their injury woes whereas our replacements all showing good form and more importantly showing they belong at AFL level.
Lohmann super impressive. He has been good in all his full games and that includes the Sydney (16 disposals) preseason game.
Sharp has bulked up and vastly improved in the VFL this season.
When promoted to AFL this season he has finally showed he belongs at AFL level. Now in his 4th season.
Reville also converted his excellent VFL form to AFL which does not always happen especially in your 1st AFL season.
On Reville he did increase his TOG to 68% from the previous two games of 53% & 60%
The club most likely easing him into the extra fitness load required going from VFL to AFL.
Reville also managed the 6th best meters gained with limited TOG.

Zorko effort in relation to TOG is pretty impressive.
Below from fan footy in TOG order.

View attachment 1993374

Wasn't it a thing with the Tigers during their flag years that they would often lose the C but still win regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know how to post but that's a fox analysis of sharp saying he ran too far without bouncing.

Poor umpires, Sharp runs so fast they can't keep up when counting his steps.

Edit - the post worked. I'm a genius!!

Just on the bolded, I always thought it was 15 steps, but the AFL has said it’s 15 metres, not 15 steps, when they ticked off the free kick against Rankine.

For what it’s worth, Rankine ran 14 steps in his run.

15 meters is covered very quickly running at pace, 99 times out of 100 the distance of the Rankine run is deemed fine.... eg. numerous times when players play on from a kick out they run well over the "official" legal distance.

Red hot decision against the Crows and Rankine, the ticking off of the decision just starkly illustrates shocking inconsistency.

Zorko still tearing it up at 35 is a pleasure to watch.

It's scary we've built so much reliance on him setting up the rebounding play for us and he's able to fit seamlessly into that new game plan and still execute with great skills. Amazing.

Zorko still tearing it up at 35 is a pleasure to watch.
I still maintain that he goes around again next year such is his form. I thought this year would be the year he transitions to the Super Sub but he seems to be running out games fine so perhaps he could revert to that role next year….unless we make this incredible run and he goes out on a high after we win the GF.

Just on the bolded, I always thought it was 15 steps, but the AFL has said it’s 15 metres, not 15 steps, when they ticked off the free kick against Rankine.

For what it’s worth, Rankine ran 14 steps in his run.

Iirc Usain bolt's stride length was almost 2.5m.

sharp at speed would be close to 2m, possibly longer. So 2-3 short steps to accelerate at say 1.5 m each, 4.5 m plus 11m = ~6 steps at speed.

In total 10 steps would be holding the ball.

Agreed, Rayner's midfield window is closing in my opinion with Will on his way back and Berry going to the middle which is complementing Dunkley in the defensive side of things. Next year we'll have more natural midfielders like Levi who would play more instinctively compared to Cam. I haven't seen Reville's minutes in the middle yet, but that'll be a great bonus if he's showing signs or ability to share midfield load.

The one other dark horse, at least in my opinion, is Brain. Whenever he's come on as a sub I've seen him instinctively run to space, get the ball in traffic and under pressure hit targets. Now I can't tell whether it was because he was fresher than the ones chasing him in Q4 but he was really good against Adelaide - there were couple of pinpoint kicks under pressure which was a pleasant surprise for me. I feel he'd be another one worth trialling through midfield as he has the burst speed and sharp kicking traits which our midfield combo currently lack.

In the earlier post AFLQLD said about how Reville's long kicking would be a great fit next to Coleman. It frees up Brain in my view and we could trial him in few other spots through the middle. He looks like good fit as a receiver who has the pace to clear away from congestion and hit a target downfield.

Agreed on Brain, man hit some contests absolutely hard which I wasn’t expecting at all. A bit like if Answerth was also actually a good ball user. Might be interesting to keep up our sleeve in the coming years if we need to

Berry in the middle is making such a difference. After a year or so of injuries interrupting his season and what finally looks like successful shoulder surgery finally, he is really finding some good form. Really glad to see it. No doubt a best 22 player now and going fwd. Those cynical are likely to put his improvement down to being a contract year.

Good signs from the young lads. Sometimes to me it looks like Lohmann is hesitant to put his body on the line to get the hard ball, would rather let them get the ball then make the tackle. My only criticism of him. They all have stuff to work on but so far have been performing their roles solidly. Can't declare any as a lock in the best 22 as yet but it is very encouraging for the future.

Payne has found his confidence and is playing so much better. Another reason for our form improvement over the last few weeks. McKenna from an interrupted start to the season is still finding his feet but I have no doubt that after a cpl more games he'll be back to his confident best as well. Was better this week.

I do have a concern that even against a depleted Richmond they were able to get out the front of a clearance and run. A major weakness being shown up here. Sure, with such a big lead in the game we were experimenting with others at the coalface in stoppages but against better teams we will still be susceptible. I hope that can be fixed or at least tightened up.

Finally, really glad we put a team to the sword. As Sun Tzu would say, we won the war early and then went to battle, instead of going to battle and hoping to win the war. The latter is the way we've been playing for most of the season.

Back