Review Round 10, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is it to wallop Richmond.

The team is getting its mojo back which is great to see.

But Richmond was very bad so let’s not get too carried away.

Hawks are a bit of a bogey team so need to keep the intensity up and not let them run us ragged.

Looking ahead at the draw, there is every chance we can still play finals. We just need to get a run on and build a ‘streak’ - one week at a time.

I loved how Sharp tucked it under his arm and went for a run in 2nd quarter. He'll make mistakes, he'll have his "wow" moments but bottom line is we need to encourage him to do it repeatedly. He'll be our Whitfield or Saad once he beds down that play, he can open up games with his run n gun which is unique as far as our list is concerned. Go well young Sharp.

Brain needs a full game, he's ready.

Only other constructive thing I noticed - when Berry, Dunkley, Wilmot go under packs you can be confident that you'll get a contest, there'll be a stoppage or more importantly the ball won't easily get released to an awkward spot. They scrap for the groundball way better than even Neale or McCluggage.

What ever happens this year we are building some very impressive depth, Reville, Sharp, Morris, Brain all look like good prospects going forward and Kai Lohmann has already secured a best 22 spot for an extended period.

Really love the potential of Logan Morris, just has something about him, clunks marks and is a very smart footballer.

Shadeau Brain has shown great glimpses re his visionary disposal and hardness.

Harry Sharp just needs to work on his disposal by foot over the off season albeit it is improving and he will be a serious weapon on the wing.

Bruce Reville, great leg on him, run with Harry over the off season and look out.

The Hawks have been very good in a few games this season, we need to maintain the rage next Sunday, flying down for this one, also going to watch baby brother on Saturday afternoon, not to mention Wicked the musical that night. Can not wait :airplane::brisbane:😁

Poor Richmond. Sitting at the game watching the body language away from the play it's a wonder the Lions didn't win by twice that much. Marlin Picket set the tone for me, all push and shovey early not interested in playing the game then the head went down, no chasing, just walking after the play. Beaten last week by 91 points then flogged this week, we ourselves have been there but the Tigers seems a really disinterested team now.

Dusty, looks like he hung on a year too long, you can see the greatness still, but watching him is like watching a great gun slinger that knows they have lost the speed and cant fire as quick, the indecision is everywhere and the 'first instance' greatness seems gone.

Sharpy - taking the game on, yes please, back yourself kid. Loman, well the McCarthy injury doesn't seem devastating now, position filled. Logan Morris, a goal in each of his 3 games, great promis and enthusiasm. Reville, holding his own now and what a crowd favourite. Zorko, well it's like he has a second life this season, just brilliant. Neal was great, Berry should stay in the middle, Dunkley is a brick wall and the backline is stable and dependable.

On the down side, Hipwood and Rayner. When Hippy kicked his goal players came from everywhere, it was like he just kicked his first, the team knows he is down and are trying the lift him. then he lines up what seems like just minutes later from the same spot and back to an out of form 'yipper' I'm not sure he had a touch after that. Rayner, yep he got a few, added to the tally but I suggest on a night when the Lions are mauling the Tigers all over the field he was missing in general play but got some good opportunist goals. With Berry in the middle, Ashcroft on the way back and Reville getting midfield minutes it's hard to see where he gets decent time in there. Loman and Morris playing well down from there seems a squeeze for Cam, maybe the midfield bull is the fit.

Great night at the Gabba but when that big Southerly came in by god it got cold quick.

Games like that one are a good opportunity to watch individual players more closely.

Bruce Reville has a few attributes that make him more valuable than his brief AFL experience would suggest. He is a solid player with enough height to hold his own in the air. He can take a contested mark and he can find the ball on the ground well enough.

He has some very good running patterns offensively which suggest he knows how to be in good positions and just as importantly, when to be there. It is an easy thing to run drills on, but doing it intuitively in a game is quite different. Some players take far longer to understand how important that is - don’t arrive at the right spot too early or too late. I’m still not sure Rayner knows it intuitively for example and I think it is a key reason why he fades out of games.

Defensively, while he is still learning, Bruce doesn’t do the thing many players new to the level tend to do - rush at a million miles an hour to get to an experienced opponent who easily steps around him or handballs over him. That sense of understanding of the difference between manic pressure and defensive positioning is really key to being a useful part of the team defence especially outside the immediate contest. Manic pressure is often needed, but in space can go badly wrong and sometimes it is more dangerous than simply being in the right position (Pendlebury is a master at showing this, he rarely gets it wrong.)

But in particular, Bruce has a long and accurate kick and can kick with genuine intent to advantage his teammate. It is a precious talent because it requires both the skill and the vision. Plenty of AFL standard players can routinely do it for shorter kicks or can boot the ball into a crowded forward 50, but long kicks to advantage from defence or midfield that isolate a one-on-one are far less common. Kiddy has been our best recently. The very best kickers guide their teammate into the right spot at the right time by the length, speed, specific direction and shape of their kick. For long kicks that takes a decent boot but also takes the ability to see it in the first place.

Bruce still has to build his endurance and that will take time but the fact he was at a few centre bounces in the fourth quarter would suggest that the coaches can see he has plenty to offer. More games into Bruce this year can mean that he and Kiddy could be a valuable pair in shaping our ball movement in the future.

The silver lining for all these injuries is that fagan had no other option but to rotate in fresh faces. Shows we have some talent coming in they just needed a chance to play a few games in a row without the pressure that they will be dropped for the pets. Also makes the team much quicker and unpredictable which is what I like.

It will help this club in the long term this rough patch.

McKenna, Rayner and Hipwood not up to it but everyone else gets a pass mark. Bring on the second half of the year with Ashcroft back.

Richmond didn't offer much opposition and I'm not reading a lot into it except we did what we needed to do and everyone contributed.

The exciting thing is that all the young players are gaining confidence and playing like they belong.

It was a solid team effort and I didn't think there were many bad players on the ground.

What I liked the most was seeing Fages at least try some different midfield combos in the last and it was great to see Reville and Rayner in there.

I thought Rayner had a bit of an off night and still seemed a bit lost in his center bounces in the last. I want him to become a midfielder desperately, to my eye he seems to lack that quick lateral movement, instead he needs to run straight lines through the contest. Unfortunately we pretty much exclusively give that role to Neale, it was noticable that for more of his center clearances Rayner was setup with his back to the goal, when really he needs to be coming from the defensive side of the contest through the pack to take it forward.

What to me made Rayner's lack of intuition in the middle was even more start by seeing Reville in there. Bruce has been a very pleasant surprise with his kicking and he didn't look out of his depth running through the middle either. His good form has also allowed Berry to spend more time inside, which is only a positive for the team going forward.

Berry really is the one playing his "contract year" up to get that bonus right now.

Gave Sharp a vote. Had some very good moments. Keeps this up and he’s a lock.

Usual suspects were Andrews, Lohman, Cameron and Morris.

Going to be hard to put Starce and Bailey back in after the last few weeks. If we can win against Hawthorne, St Kilda and the Dogs, the team is looking at a good shot to a late push.

The annoying thing is that we dropped so many winnable games early, that loss against Fremantle is looking worse and worse every week for example.

If we make finals, I can see us at the very least ruining some other teams seasons; but we just have to get there first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Richmond. Sitting at the game watching the body language away from the play it's a wonder the Lions didn't win by twice that much. Marlin Picket set the tone for me, all push and shovey early not interested in playing the game then the head went down, no chasing, just walking after the play. Beaten last week by 91 points then flogged this week, we ourselves have been there but the Tigers seems a really disinterested team now.

Dusty, looks like he hung on a year too long, you can see the greatness still, but watching him is like watching a great gun slinger that knows they have lost the speed and cant fire as quick, the indecision is everywhere and the 'first instance' greatness seems gone.

Sharpy - taking the game on, yes please, back yourself kid. Loman, well the McCarthy injury doesn't seem devastating now, position filled. Logan Morris, a goal in each of his 3 games, great promis and enthusiasm. Reville, holding his own now and what a crowd favourite. Zorko, well it's like he has a second life this season, just brilliant. Neal was great, Berry should stay in the middle, Dunkley is a brick wall and the backline is stable and dependable.

On the down side, Hipwood and Rayner. When Hippy kicked his goal players came from everywhere, it was like he just kicked his first, the team knows he is down and are trying the lift him. then he lines up what seems like just minutes later from the same spot and back to an out of form 'yipper' I'm not sure he had a touch after that. Rayner, yep he got a few, added to the tally but I suggest on a night when the Lions are mauling the Tigers all over the field he was missing in general play but got some good opportunist goals. With Berry in the middle, Ashcroft on the way back and Reville getting midfield minutes it's hard to see where he gets decent time in there. Loman and Morris playing well down from there seems a squeeze for Cam, maybe the midfield bull is the fit.

Great night at the Gabba but when that big Southerly came in by god it got cold quick.

Pickett too worried about the fact he’s due to go back to jail whenever his court case progresses. Such a dirty player, could not stand the commentators sucking him off all night. I honestly don’t even know how he’s still allowed to play.

Taryn Thomas: accused of assault by a couple of women; rightfully stood down.

Marlion Pickett: formal charges layed by police for theft spree worth hundreds of thousands of dollars; on a background of literally being in jail for doing the same before; doesn’t even get a slap on the wrist; free to play.

If I was a Tigers supporter🤢 I wouldn't be too downhearted, I would take 3 flags in 4 years and then a drop of a cliff for a few years any day of the week than continually being up around the 8 but not winning flags ... as long as the down period doesn't go on for a decade or more like it did for us.

I thought the most impressive part of our performance was the fact that we applied continuous effort and pressure for the full game. That is something that has been missing from our game for a long time. Maybe the inclusion of some young guys has actually lifted the spirit of the whole team.

Peeved Brain still hasn’t got a full game. He deserves it. However he is the first player I can recall that has come in and had a real impact as the sub. Has looked like he has belonged as soon as he runs out on the ground. Goes hard and takes the game on.

Brains game time is interesting isn't it.

We have been saying the same thing about lohman and sharp and even Morris previously

Maybe fagan has a tactical approach to developing perpetual hunger in young players - very much treat em mean, keep em keen. That's never worked in any other scenario, but the newbies development has been spot on. Assets from seniors day one.

Hat's off to the coaches. Shame we are sacking the entire group at years end.

big part of our form turnaround has been jack payne rediscovering his confidence.... dont think its a coincidence
Yep his form is in stark contrast to what it was earlier in the year. Seems to have the confidence back in his body.

Still think the big move over the last few weeks has been throwing Berry into the middle. It has given us another big body in there, who is also good defensively around the ball. Think this has freed Dunks up a bit more to go and win a bit more ball too.

The mix just looks so much better with Jarrod in there. I hope we can hold onto him if this is going to be how we play him moving forward.

If I was a Tigers supporter🤢 I wouldn't be too downhearted, I would take 3 flags in 4 years and then a drop of a cliff for a few years any day of the week than continually being up around the 8 but not winning flags ... as long as the down period doesn't go on for a decade or more like it did for us.

Skimmed through their thread early this morning. One supported mentioned deserving a priority pick, which started a few comments about North Melbourne being favored with pps and Richmond deserving one.

I thought/ hoped it was tongue in cheek cause 3 premierships in under 10 years doesn't seem like priority pick territory.

Even though it was only a small number of posters it does reek of entitlement.

big part of our form turnaround has been jack payne rediscovering his confidence.... dont think its a coincidence

I'm not sure big form swings are really a thing. Maybe an off game now and then but when there's been extended swings we've found out after that the player was carrying an injury.

Like Charlie this year - turns out he missed most of the pre season with multiple oral surgeries.

There's no doubt bringing in younger enthusiastic players has reinvigorated some of the older guys. You can see it in Daniher , Zorko and Cameron for a start.

I think you'll stat to see Charlie play better now that Lohman and Ah Chee can both provide marking targets that weren't there before and get up the ground and be effective there as well. That lifts the weight off Charlie's shoulders.

Reville is one of the smoothest movers you'll see when he runs with the ball and if he can move it on as effectively as he looks like he can we could have found a player.

One of the best pieces of play last night was when Joe got the ball on the wing and one of the options for him was a 2v1 against Morris well ahead of him and he showed the confidence in Morris to put it where he could mark it , which he almost did drawing a free.

So Morris would have walked a bit taller after that.

Back