Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The section they panned to weren’t going mad crazy, watch the replay. More often than not on TV it seems the opposition supporters outnumber ours.

I think the only game where I’ve felt like there was an outnumber was the 2019 Easter Thursday clash against Collingwood.

Also Carlton led a massive comeback in the game, of course the Carlton fans were cheering mad over the second half compared to the Lions fans whose team just choked. Same thing happened in the prelim last year, Carlton fans started loud but never really reached the same level in their goals after quarter time.

Zorko, Prior, Michael and Brain are the four I'd be getting into Kiddy's role (at both AFL and VFL level) and really fleshing out who is best suited.

Just need a role player who can work with Mott and McKenna.

It seems we do not bounce back from adversity in games that well. From lights going out, missing easy goals, injury to a star player. We often leave it for the next week to bounce back.

Sometimes that just isn't acceptable.

Yep and like going down five goals in the prelim and just bowing out to let Carlton waltz their way into the Grand Final.

Tonight was disappointing to say the least. For me, it was mainly that we haven’t addressed being able to minimise the oppositions momentum when they start getting a run on. They have an A grade midfield, but the ease at which they cleared the ball from stoppages was alarming.

Definitely feel for Kiddy. However, it’s not season over. Doedee and McKenna need to come into the backline - it’s the area we now have the most depth. Like others have said, Zorko back now happens. He is the best kick we have and could be a real weapon there. Fitness isn’t a problem - it’s not like Coleman is our best athlete.

The dew was horrific.

THE GOOD

Wilmot

Neale kept trying

Clugga in the last

THE BAD

Thinking we’d won and the same old going in to our shells.

Lack of composure from so many players in the last quarter. We got well on top and totally blew it.

Payne’s form - right now he is the clear out for Doedee.

Berry - in the 2s to earn his spot, he is no star so should not be playing rusty

Goal-kicking when it mattered

Umps in the last, all 50/50s went their way.

THE UGLY
Kiddy - can’t be replaced and one of our few players with composure

Fagan on gameday - looked helpless in the last. We just don’t shuffle magnets well. Clearly at half time we need a spark and rev but came out at half rat power. We should have a good 2IC coach by now but we don’t

THE DIABOLICAL

Have we managed to effectively end our flag chances in the 30 minutes from midway through 2nd quarter, in ROUND ZERO? Give up lead. Give up morale after a grand final loss. Lose our most creative player who was our best finals player las year. Worst loss in terms of combination of significance and manner i can remember.

Call me chicken little but we are done. Freo to roll us, pies to travel en masse and get 50/50 crowd, 0-3.

Just remember it's round 0. It's a long season. We will be right.
You said that last year about winning the flag.

It’s only one game but combined with the loss of Coleman I think we’ll be bottom part of the eight at best. There’s no hunger with this group and definitely no heart; we’ve seen to much over the years to know they lack heart but this group don’t want it enough and too many just want to play Hollywood footy

Friends, the game sucked but saying a loss round 1 = ruining flag chances is the biggest overreaction since the time BRAB pushed an Essendon uncle down the Metricon stairs for calling Nerang lackluster.

You said that last year about winning the flag.

It’s only one game but combined with the loss of Coleman I think we’ll be bottom part of the eight at best. There’s no hunger with this group and definitely no heart; we’ve seen to much over the years to know they lack heart but this group don’t want it enough and too many just want to play Hollywood footy

Yeah I'm sure this team isn't hungry and doesn't want to win a flag 🙃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiddy going down early, Neale underdone, no WAshcroft and no Doedee is virtually full strength?
They lost Docherty.

Neale apparently wasn’t underdone.
We haven’t played with Doedee before.

Yep - Ashcroft is an out, fair call.

Yep and like going down five goals in the prelim and just bowing out to let Carlton waltz their way into the Grand Final.

I get this sucks for a lot of people but come on it’s the first game of the season and we actually played entertaining football for decent chunks of the game. There’s some valid criticism in here but also a lot of straight up doomer posting. Also people seem to forget the times this team actually does well which is shocking for the team with the most wins the past five seasons. You’d think the only time we’d ever won is from opposition forfeit.

Friends, the game sucked but saying a loss round 1 = ruining flag chances is the biggest overreaction since the time BRAB pushed an Essendon uncle down the Metricon stairs for calling Nerang lackluster.
When I was putting in my votes I could only find 4 players. So many were missing tonight.

They're better than that. We know that.

As far as flag chances go the overreaction was a lot of people assuming we were going to take the next step before the season started.

This year is a whole new ball game and a few teams are genuine flag chances.

Embarrassing. Only way to describe it. I said at 1/2 time ‘they will win this game’. Warning signs galore. This team is just mentally fragile, has been for years. Plenty of talent, but we lack leadership and back bone. Absolute train wreck of a night. The monkey on our back we will carry around on our back for the rest of the year, when ever we have a lead, will be a gorilla.

Joe Daniher was a complete disarster tonight as was Charlie Cameron, their body language in preseason was horrific and they carried it into the season. Appalling.

Warning signs were there at the gabba late last year

Limped over the line v Saints/ cats / crows. Maybe, MAYBE this is the catalyst to refocus at home and start crushing teams there again?

We weren't even trying to shut the game down.

We weren't dropping players back, we weren't chipping the ball back and forth, we'd simply stopped running into space and instead just bombed it down the line. I'm guessing because we were up by "enough" that effort dropped.

Hopefully that's a wake up call - it was last year.

Late reply but agree with this, basically seemed like they went on cruise control - and as they’ve shown many times before, once they go into that mode it’s incredibly hard for them to switch back out of it.

Didn’t help that losing Kiddy screwed our defensive structure; just hope McKenna will bring some of that back.

Really hope it’s not an ACL.

Warning signs were there at the gabba late last year

Limped over the line v Saints/ cats / crows. Maybe, MAYBE this is the catalyst to refocus at home and start crushing teams there again?
The issue isn’t that we’ve lost focus at home. The issue is that we look like a poor side this year.

Petition to play away first game of the season in perpetuity. Haven’t had a good round 1 performance since 2019.

If we’re going to stink it up every year, may as well be an away game we are unlikely to win.
This was Round Zero. You have a chance to rectify Round 1 next week.

Two sides tonight that'll be there when the whips are cracking. Both sides did a good job.

I get this sucks for a lot of people but come on it’s the first game of the season and we actually played entertaining football for decent chunks of the game. There’s some valid criticism in here but also a lot of straight up doomer posting. Also people seem to forget the times this team actually does well which is shocking for the team with the most wins the past five seasons. You’d think the only time we’d ever won is from opposition forfeit.

Sacrilege! Wash your hands immediately after posting that filth.

We are the only team that plays well, the opposition shake with terror when we walk in the field.

We only lose cause we throw games away. Nothing to do with the opposition.

Sheesh. Are you a fan or what?!?

Yeah I'm sure this team isn't hungry and doesn't want to win a flag 🙃
I’m sure West Caost and North players want to win the flag to so of course our player do to but this window is just about shut and tonight’s pea hearted effort underlines that.

When have we put in efforts like Blues did and fought back like that?

Back