2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that annoys me the most is our defensive ground ball. Our small backs literally have zero idea where they should be structurally. We don’t need 4 blokes going for the spoil and leaving zero ground coverage. I'm a massive Visentini fan, think he's an exceptional talent. Duursma was good, just a really hard worker. Lord definitely shows some stuff to like, developing nicely.

Competitive game . Sturt had a tad more power around the ball and a better system . We had a few good moments of moving the ball in the first half and Trent aBurgoyne had a mini purple catch kicking 2 in the third .
Duursma still struggling , I was standing near the coaches box and he was pointing to that same spot under his neck that he pointed at in the Brisbane game when it first happened . He still worked hard but don’t think he’s ready to come back to the 1’s yet .
Pasini was very assured and quite impressive . Lord was a bit impressive . Frederick not bad , Skinner took a couple of nice marks but doesn’t appear athletic enough for mine .
Mead worked hard but needs to improve his field kicking before I’d bring him back . Jones was ok , particularly in the 2nd half . Mayes, Schofield , meh . Visentini , long way to go . Williams a bit meh . Jase ok .

Someone with access to more stats than me may be able to confirm or deny this, but it was mentioned to me the other day the Maggies have lost more games at Alberton since the formation of `One Club' than in any other similar length of time in the club's history.

If true, and with no silverware in either league to show for it ( particularly the AFL ) you do have to wonder if the club gave up too much for too little in return.
It's obviously easy to be wise after the event, but maybe more control over which sanfl clubs took our draftees, and where they played them could have been a better way to go.

Is there an argument in trying your absolute best to have a winning sanfl side rather than play players where and how you want them to, no matter the result, for the most benefit of the AFL side?

Talls all very good.
Visentini not a typical first year ruck. Strong, uses his body well, coordinated and good skills. Probably the pick for me watching on TV.
Pasini held the defence together, if he was slightly bigger he'd be a lock for the AFL team. Think he'd do well in Jonas spot but...
Lord good on the ground. If he was that polished in the air we'd have a serious player.
Skinner looked settled for the first time, didn't do anything to deserve a call-up tho

Jones is strong in a 1v1 but chaotic every other time. Overcommits, flys for everything in the air. Not smart enough. Can't handle the ball cleanly.
Schofield moves well at HF but doesn't have the skills for what he's trying to do. Tries a lot of cute kicks but none pay off in any great way.
Meads run of games in the pre-season and opening rounds still feels completely undeserved. Nothing stands out about his game.
D.Williams 4 touches and appeared to be faking/playing up injury in the last quarter shrugs

McEntee played his best football before he drafted him. Up and under kicking, not having the same impact with his tackling and pressure.
Trent Burgoyne, who we delisted last yr, has come back looking a different and better player.

Someone with access to more stats than me may be able to confirm or deny this, but it was mentioned to me the other day the Maggies have lost more games at Alberton since the formation of `One Club' than in any other similar length of time in the club's history.

If true, and with no silverware in either league to show for it ( particularly the AFL ) you do have to wonder if the club gave up too much for too little in return.
It's obviously easy to be wise after the event, but maybe more control over which sanfl clubs took our draftees, and where they played them could have been a better way to go.
It would not surprise me '54. There is a good argument for retiring the PB jumper and letting the players run out in Power jumpers. They are certainly not doing the PB jumper any favours with the shit they dish up.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned, but why did Williams stay on after he seemed to do a hammy in the third when flying for a mark deep in the forward line?

Probably not for this thread but I think it's a given we gave up too much post missing out in 1990.

Once the Camrys we're in Sturt-Norwood or some other mongeral combination wasn't realistic to be the second side. We should have played tougher at that point but we're maybe spooked by 90-91.

I understand they want all the players together, but the playing style is negative, never kick to a contest and the ball movement is as slow as treacle.
Winning is no longer a priority and lastly the AFL listed players are playing with half a team of amateur league players and I am not sure how that is good for anyone's development.

It would not surprise me '54. There is a good argument for retiring the PB jumper and letting the players run out in Power jumpers. They are certainly not doing the PB jumper any favours with the shit they dish up.
Agreed Wayne, seeing current Maggie teams that would have copped an absolute shellacking from many of our magoo's teams of the 50's - 90's is getting just a tad depressing, so it may be time for a Power reserve's team wearing the chevrons, and hopefully in a national magoo's comp.

A bloke like Tony Giles, who played something like 100 ressie's games ( and he wasn't the only one ) before getting a call up to the league side would have dominated in today's so called league comp.
Martin Leslie, Greg Phillips, the Boyd bros and John Ede are all examples of very good Port players who did their time in the Maggie reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is it for me we have get someone who can instill some system into these lads. Their first and only option seems to be to kick sideways all the time and every time they take a mark they hesitate because they have no one to kick to. They are playing 'stop start' football.

I have stood up for Matty Lokan in the past as he has a tough job but his time is up, we need some one who can get these blokes playing as a team. There is no system, no one up forward creating a lead or running into space, these guys are forced to kick to players under pressure all the time.

OK there is a lot of inexperience in the side but there are some experienced players on the mix. Guys like Mayes, Duursma, McEntee, Skinner, Fredericks and Jones to name a few have been around for few seasons and you would expect them to be leading the way with 30+ possessions and on a bit of field leadership but that is missing.
You are 100% spot on, if we are going to play young kids and use the SANFL as a reserves side, surely you need some leadership and direction on how to win a game of football no matter what the circumstances.
Frighteningly last week against Norwood we had a lot more amateur league players and the performance was better.

Probably not for this thread but I think it's a given we gave up too much post missing out in 1990.

Once the Camrys we're in Sturt-Norwood or some other mongeral combination wasn't realistic to be the second side. We should have played tougher at that point but we're maybe spooked by 90-91.
Fair point re 90-91, but we were already in the AFL when the decision I was referring to was made.

Agreed Wayne, seeing current Maggie teams that would have copped an absolute shellacking from many of our magoo's teams of the 50's - 90's is getting just a tad depressing, so it may be time for a Power reserve's team wearing the chevrons, and hopefully in a national magoo's comp.

A bloke like Tony Giles, who played something like 100 ressie's games ( and he wasn't the only one ) before getting a call up to the league side would have dominated in today's so called league comp.
Martin Leslie, Greg Phillips, the Boyd bros and John Ede are all examples of very good Port players who did their time in the Maggie reserves.
Not sure if Greg Phillips did a lot of time in the seconds, but I remember Stephen Williams playing 3 or 4 years in the seconds before he became a regular
George Fiacchi was another one.

I understand they want all the players together, but the playing style is negative, never kick to a contest and the ball movement is as slow as treacle.
Winning is no longer a priority and lastly the AFL listed players are playing with half a team of amateur league players and I am not sure how that is good for anyone's development.
This is the problem. A winning B grade puts pressure on the A grade to perform or you lose your spot.

Not sure if Greg Phillips did a lot of time in the seconds, but I remember Stephen Williams playing 3 or 4 years in the seconds before he became a regular
George Fiacchi was another one.
Yes, George Fiacchi would have played at least 2 or 3 seasons in the Maggie's ressies, and as you say Stephen Williams as well.
Not 100% sure about Greg Phillips, but I'm reasonably confident he played a full season as a follower in the Maggie reserves before graduating to the league team.

Mattner honed his coaching credentials under Longmire at Sydney. Their stoppage set-ups and system moving the ball is superior to ours.

It's all well and good to criticise individual players but they're playing in a flawed system. Mattner has been dining out on Hinkley for years.

Lokan is just the messenger his hands are tied.

This was Mattner v Lokan (or the club's game plan) ... and Mattner won out, which is no surprise.

You need to have the reserves winning. They need to be coached well too. Being losers doesn't help the club's success at either level.

I'm pretty much done with our game style and our mental fragility. Both coaches need to be moved on but you need to give the reserves coach some slack to do his own thing too. Being a puppet doesn't help the club succeed.

I'd take a rebel coach that brings the best out of the players to elevate themselves to the afl rather than a coach that does as he's told and mirrors the league side's losing style.

Mattner honed his coaching credentials under Longmire at Sydney. Their stoppage set-ups and system moving the ball is superior to ours.

It's all well and good to criticise individual players but they're playing in a flawed system. Mattner has been dining out on Hinkley for years.

Lokan is just the messenger his hands are tied.
This is correct.

We need the obvious to change (clinks coke zero) & a bit more drive in the SANFL setup, I'm all for the best interests of the AFL team but the balance needs to be better. I mean you want players coming through with a semblance of winning & enjoyment I don't think they need to be bots in place with little wavering.

I’m a fair way removed from things over here but wasn’t the rumour Chad Cornes was moved on as Magpies coach as he played to win rather than toe the line?
While it is obvious that you need the game plans to be similar to the first team there’s not much point if the players available don’t fit in that plan eg we always have an abundance of smalls so not much point bombing long to a contest.
Also I don’t care how skilled and professional the players are, continual losses don’t do anything for development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back