2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an argument in trying your absolute best to have a winning sanfl side rather than play players where and how you want them to, no matter the result, for the most benefit of the AFL side?

I’m convinced we lost at least one of those Grand Finals determined to play Hinkleyball from start-to-finish instead of just releasing the hounds and bludgeoning a clearly inferior opponent.

I’m convinced we lost at least one of those Grand Finals determined to play Hinkleyball from start-to-finish instead of just releasing the hounds and bludgeoning a clearly inferior opponent.
2017 I was there and it was a premiership for the taking. We had a superior team to Mattner's Sturt but he clogged stoppages and hit us on the break.

We refused to change tactics and lost a close one after being reamed by the umpires. Our coach that day... Chadbro.

2017 I was there and it was a premiership for the taking. We had a superior team to Mattner's Sturt but he clogged stoppages and hit us on the break.

We refused to change tactics and lost a close one after being reamed by the umpires. Our coach that day... Chadbro.

That’s the one I’m thinking of. That should’ve been a bloodbath in keeping with the old Family Day trial games.

That is it for me we have get someone who can instill some system into these lads. Their first and only option seems to be to kick sideways all the time and every time they take a mark they hesitate because they have no one to kick to. They are playing 'stop start' football.

I have stood up for Matty Lokan in the past as he has a tough job but his time is up, we need some one who can get these blokes playing as a team. There is no system, no one up forward creating a lead or running into space, these guys are forced to kick to players under pressure all the time.

OK there is a lot of inexperience in the side but there are some experienced players on the mix. Guys like Mayes, Duursma, McEntee, Skinner, Fredericks and Jones to name a few have been around for few seasons and you would expect them to be leading the way with 30+ possessions and on a bit of field leadership but that is missing.
How much of this can be attributed to the brilliantmindofkernhinkley. I vomit every time i stop and look at what these thugs have done to this club.

Went to game , tricky breeze blowing across ground that we never adjusted to, made the game even scrappier.
The good , Pasini continues to develop nicely, cant be far from debut. Lord really battled strongly, real competitor, with another couple of kgs and bit more dev he looks promising. Skinner slowly picking up form, looking a bit more like the player from last yr. Schofield starting to look better, thought he was good against Souths, concern is that I,m not sure what role he plays at next level. Dursma ground away but very rusty.
The bad - ugly ugly game, we couldnt get anything from the centre or stoppages. Blues bigger bodies really shut us down and in the end the game just deterioated into a series of stoppages. Mayes poor first half , so many mistakes. But what did my head in was the defensive errors in letting the ball over the top. The chief culprit being Jones, he has got to pull his head in and realise that going at everything at a thousand miles an hour is dumb footy, he repeatly flew with skinner and surman leaving no one down, this kid needs to be spoken to and developed now as he is getting bad habits. Better in 3rd but off in last?
All and all very frustrating game but Sturt came with a gameplan that has repeatably worked for them when they play us.

Went to game , tricky breeze blowing across ground that we never adjusted to, made the game even scrappier.
The good , Pasini continues to develop nicely, cant be far from debut. Lord really battled strongly, real competitor, with another couple of kgs and bit more dev he looks promising. Skinner slowly picking up form, looking a bit more like the player from last yr. Schofield starting to look better, thought he was good against Souths, concern is that I,m not sure what role he plays at next level. Dursma ground away but very rusty.
The bad - ugly ugly game, we couldnt get anything from the centre or stoppages. Blues bigger bodies really shut us down and in the end the game just deterioated into a series of stoppages. Mayes poor first half , so many mistakes. But what did my head in was the defensive errors in letting the ball over the top. The chief culprit being Jones, he has got to pull his head in and realise that going at everything at a thousand miles an hour is dumb footy, he repeatly flew with skinner and surman leaving no one down, this kid needs to be spoken to and developed now as he is getting bad habits. Better in 3rd but off in last?
All and all very frustrating game but Sturt came with a gameplan that has repeatably worked for them when they play us.

Re - Jones

Yep. Was talking about it today. At this club, when a player develops a bad it takes almost a career for them to change. I mentioned that it is one thing that Cahill was good at and that was knocking out the bad habit in a player, but the coach we have now ... ?

Re - Jones

Yep. Was talking about it today. At this club, when a player develops a bad it takes almost a career for them to change. I mentioned that it is one thing that Cahill was good at and that was knocking out the bad habit in a player, but the coach we have now ... ?
So much potential but boy is he doing my head in. Theres youthful enthusiasm and theres plain dumb.

Pasini for me looked like the player most likely to be called up next. Looks to have a career

That Wilson guy carved us a new arsehole
Pasini is coming on but I'm not sure what he'll be. He's another tweener, not big enough for the Hawkins, Daniher, Kings etc and not agile or quick enough to handle small/medium forwards. It's a problem we have to rectify via trading or drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 4th quarter was dreadful! Got slaughtered at the stoppages, struggled to get any clearances and had absolutely no transition going forward, which is why we could only muster 1 point for the quarter. The defense held up well for most of the game but at some stage you've got to attack.

In the rare moments we did manage to get some run and look to transition we were let down by sloppy skills. One moment that illustrated that perfectly was when Duursma broke through a tackle and missed a handball, which ended up with the ball going over the boundary line. Back to a stoppage...

Yes, George Fiacchi would have played at least 2 or 3 seasons in the Maggie's ressies, and as you say Stephen Williams as well.
Not 100% sure about Greg Phillips, but I'm reasonably confident he played a full season as a follower in the Maggie reserves before graduating to the league team.
Have vague recollections of watching quite a few reserves games he was playing in. The commentator Ian Day would call his name Fee-Ahh-Chee and I’d be looking out for our player of Chinese heritage.

Yes, George Fiacchi would have played at least 2 or 3 seasons in the Maggie's ressies, and as you say Stephen Williams as well.
Not 100% sure about Greg Phillips, but I'm reasonably confident he played a full season as a follower in the Maggie reserves before graduating to the league team.

Greg Phillips came to Port in 1976 as a 17 year old and played in the 1976 grand final. Don't think he played much reserves footy. At 18 he played full back in the 1977 premiership team.

Fiacchi was an inconsistent goal kicking rover at u19 level who Jack put in a back pocket to replace Stephen Williams who had found a spot after also being an inconsistent junior rover. George's inclusion was following Anthony's tragic accident.

George made the back pocket his own and when Stephen returned he found that consistency as a centreman/on baller.

Sturt just smothered us all game. It was like watching rugby. Our younger players didn't have the strength to break free and the top ups couldn't hit the side of a barn with the full clip of a pump action shotgun.

Does anyone know where to find crowd numbers for SANFL games?

It's not ideal with amateur players topping up the Magpies but I like having our own team with AFL listed players. When the AFL listed players were scattered throughout the SANFL we didn't have control over them. There were also times when clubs like North Adelaide seemed to screw our AFL listed players by playing them in the SANFL reserves. I remember Steven Salopek was playing for Glenelg and he had 20+ disposals. The next week Glenelg dropped him to Glenelg reserves.

Yes Lachie Jones is bit like Sam Powell Pepper in that he tries to do too much. Both these guys try to take the entire opposition side on. As has been posted by others it gets back to the Coaches. Surely Hinkley and Lokan are sitting down with these guys and highlighting the problem?

Then again Ken would probably say, Yeh, Lachie tries to do too much at times but at least it shows he is trying and you do not want to knock that out of a young guy. Developing young players is not one of Ken's strengths.

Last edited:
Greg Phillips came to Port in 1976 as a 17 year old and played in the 1976 grand final. Don't think he played much reserves footy. At 18 he played full back in the 1977 premiership team.

Fiacchi was an inconsistent goal kicking rover at u19 level who Jack put in a back pocket to replace Stephen Williams who had found a spot after also being an inconsistent junior rover. George's inclusion was following Anthony's tragic accident.

George made the back pocket his own and when Stephen returned he found that consistency as a centreman/on baller.
George Fiacchi began around the time of two outstanding juniors who played in the same position, Tim Ginever and Wayne Mahney who both had incredible hands and were extremely courageous.

Does anyone know where to find crowd numbers for SANFL games?

It's not ideal with amateur players topping up the Magpies but I like having our own team with AFL listed players. When the AFL listed players were scattered throughout the SANFL we didn't have control over them. There were also times when clubs like North Adelaide seemed to screw our AFL listed players by playing them in the SANFL reserves. I remember Steven Salopek was playing for Glenelg and he had 20+ disposals. The next week Glenelg dropped him to Glenelg reserves.

We also moved a couple of players because Chocco felt they were not being treated fairly. Ryan Willits from Glenelg to Westies is one that comes to mind.

George Fiacchi began around the time of two outstanding juniors who played in the same position, Tim Ginever and Wayne Mahney who both had incredible hands and were extremely courageous.
Tim Ginever was originally tied to Woodville. Port gained him in an U17 player swap. We won that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back