2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Wildman is horrific. Amazing that a team with mostly professional players is being outrun and outworked by amateurs.

Calling this game dreadful is a compliment.

Pasini was genuine quality, Lord put in and tried hard to make something of horrible delivery.

After that, the less said the better.

Port's last attacking opportunity smothered, Sturt kick a goal on the rebound after the siren. FT 50-63.

Truly awful last quarter, no spark, no structure and few players willing to take the game on. Trying to slow down and congest the game. Sturt flooded back when they needed to and were faster on the rebound. Very similar to the Power games where we take a lead into the last quarter. Very negative play.

There's a commentator called "Biggles"?? I presume that's Biglands. Only in Adelaide ...

To be fair it's about as much effort as he warrants.

One of the most insipid quarters of footy I’ve seen..
Given its the only quarter of the game I saw, you can imagine what I'm feeling about how we played.

Old brick hands Surman, any chance of catching one of them that you just let slap into your 2 hands?

Westbrook, Moore, #40, all these guys are so bad. Make so many key errors.

Honestly felt like Duursma and Mead were the only 2 Port players that cared.

If Mayes didn't let Wilson get completely off the chain in the first couple mins of that last term, we probably win the slogfest. Mayes just running directly into a smother at the end there was icing on a cake of mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given its the only quarter of the game I saw, you can imagine what I'm feeling about how we played.

Old brick hands Surman, any chance of catching one of them that you just let slap into your 2 hands?

Westbrook, Moore, #40, all these guys are so bad. Make so many key errors.

Honestly felt like Duursma and Mead were the only 2 Port players that cared.

If Mayes didn't let Wilson get completely off the chain in the first couple mins of that last term, we probably win the slogfest. Mayes just running directly into a smother at the end there was icing on a cake of mediocrity.
Yeah I think Mayes is one of those who does better at AFL level than in the Magpies. Should have been head and shoulders above his opponent (who was BOG).

That is it for me we have get someone who can instill some system into these lads. Their first and only option seems to be to kick sideways all the time and every time they take a mark they hesitate because they have no one to kick to. They are playing 'stop start' football.

I have stood up for Matty Lokan in the past as he has a tough job but his time is up, we need some one who can get these blokes playing as a team. There is no system, no one up forward creating a lead or running into space, these guys are forced to kick to players under pressure all the time.

OK there is a lot of inexperience in the side but there are some experienced players on the mix. Guys like Mayes, Duursma, McEntee, Skinner, Fredericks and Jones to name a few have been around for few seasons and you would expect them to be leading the way with 30+ possessions and on a bit of field leadership but that is missing.

Last edited:
So we're 1-9 at both levels with the win coming against the 17th-placed Eagles. Not sure how much longer we need to go before this becomes unacceptable.

Looked like a good crowd in on the TV - was it comparable with our usual Alberton attendance?

Duursma obviously wants back in the AFL team, but even his disposal was kick and hope. Couldn't provide a spark to his team mates.
I only saw the last term but I disagree, he was often kicking to the advantage of our forwards. His kicks were quite good. Hard to do it all though, at some stage some of these forwards needs to actually take a mark or win some contested stuff at some point.

That is it for me we have get someone who can instill some system into these lads. Their first and only option seems to be to kick sideways all the time and every time they take a mark they hesitate because they have no one to kick to. They are playing 'stop start' football.

I have stood up for Matty Lokan in the past as he has a tough job but his time is up, we need some one who can get these blokes playing as a team. There is no system, no one up forward creating a lead or running into space, these guys are forced to kick to players under pressure all the time.
Is it because Lokan's hands are tied, and he is required to ensure that the AFL-listed players play the same roles as they do for the Power? Yeah that last quarter was like watching most of our last quarters this year at either level. Thought we might have turned the corner in the last couple of weeks but these guys didn't get the memo.

And what's with the fitness? How come we can't outrun a bunch of part-timers?

I only saw the last term but I disagree, he was often kicking to the advantage of our forwards. His kicks were quite good. Hard to do it all though, at some stage some of these forwards needs to actually take a mark or win some contested stuff at some point.
Yeah, that's a fair comment, there were some basic skill errors in the forward half. It was like they'd been told not to play it there.

Really sad cause if we didn’t have so many injuries the magpies would have been super strong this year with the growth of a few players like lord and pasini.
Lord lacked a few opportunities but did try to get involved. Pasini looked confident, didn't have a great deal of help at the back. I don't get the Skinner drafting.

There are people on this site who put the knife into Chad Cornes but when Chad was coaching the SANFL he did it his way and was not afraid to tell it as it was. That didn't sit too well with the AFL Coach who wanted things done his way so Chad was moved sideways. It maybe wishful thinking but the SANFL side needs a Coach with enough autonomy to instill some pride in these blokes and get them playing as the Port Magpies and not the Power B grade. These guys have no pride in that jumper and that needs to change.

If I mentioned the above comments to the Chairman of our Club he would not have the slightest idea what I was talking about, and that is our problem.

Port's last attacking opportunity smothered, Sturt kick a goal on the rebound after the siren. FT 50-63.

Truly awful last quarter, no spark, no structure and few players willing to take the game on. Trying to slow down and congest the game. Sturt flooded back when they needed to and were faster on the rebound. Very similar to the Power games where we take a lead into the last quarter. Very negative play.
Exactly what happened against South Adelaide except that day we butchered a 5 goal lead.

Unless we play sides of a much lower calibre (both as SANFL and AFL level) our gameplan is a total disaster.

It's like Hinkley thinks making football as hard as possibe for our side to play is a good thing while making it nearly as easy as possible for the opposition. How easy is it for our opponents to move the ball from their fullback line to inside their attacking 50 by only needing to be able to kick the ball half decent. Loose guys everywhere all the time as our guys take up their positions in the zone of holes.

It's staggering how bad we are and how bad it is to watch, let alone try and play the damn thing.

Enjoyed last night watching us play against a pathetic WC side but tried to keep the method of victory in some sort of perspective and today sure as hell got me back on the sack Hinkley and Lokan road immediately.

That was insipid to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back