2nds West Adelaide vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ Waikerie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday 14th of April. 2:10pm at Waikerie Football Oval. Streamed on the AFL website.

For the Russell Ebert Tribute Match Cup
Hamish-and-Adam-Hartlett-2024-SANFL-Launch.jpeg

Pending the injury list: Boak (back) and Wines (hamstring) to be assessed.

Powell-Pepper returns to the AFL side from suspension, but Finlayson is suspended for 3 games.

Xavier Walsh will serve a 2 match ban for a head high bump.

Georgiades last week was called up to the AFL side. Possible that F.Evans drops down here.

McKenzie took the last SANFL game off as an AFL emergency and should play here.

Note: This game is the day after the AFL game, so the sub (EG: Mead) can play.

This is a bottom of the table clash a big win could get us into the 5.
1712322134428.png

League Stats Leaders for Port:
Jordon Sweet 1st for Hitouts.
Mitch Georgiades =2nd for Contested Marks.
Nick Moore =3rd for Clearances.
Josh Sinn =5th for Kicks.
Nick Moore and Jordon Sweet =5th for Forward 50 Entries.
Mitch Georgiades =7th for Goals.

Maggies Changes:
IN: McKenzie, F.Evans, Weidemann
OUT: Georgiades (AFL), Walsh (Suspended), Baldwin

Maggies Side:
F: Visentini - Scully - F.Evans
HF: Narkle - Carter - Anastasopoulos
C: Clurey - Moore (C) - Lorenz
HB: Sinn - K.Marshall - Chamberlain
B: Weidemann - McKenzie - D.Williams
R: Sweet - Short - Charleson
INT: Szust - Turner - Byrne - L.Evans
EMERG: Mead - Launer - H.Ferrari - Brazel - Aldridge

Last edited:

We’ll have played 5 AFL games before our reserves have played 2. Got to get out of this league asap.
The VFL has only had 2 rounds.

Our reserves players have had 5 games. Intra club, trials vs crows, north and south, then round 1 vs Glenelg.

Unless we win an AFL premiership, seeing Hartlett as senior coach of the SANFL will never sit right with me.

I am not sure what the problem with Hartlett taking on a SANFL coaching role is? I am also not sure how winning an AFL Premiership will alter the situation? Any one has to be an improvement on Goldsack.

Goldsack wasn't even bad....

The fact that Goldsack has been moved on to Defensive Coach assisting Hinkley probably confirms what many of us suspect - the Port Magpies Coach has little autonomy, he does what the Senior AFL Coach wants. Hammer will probably be little different in that respect but we live in hope.

The fact that Goldsack has been moved on to Defensive Coach assisting Hinkley probably confirms what many of us suspect - the Port Magpies Coach has little autonomy, he does what the Senior AFL Coach wants. Hammer will probably be little different in that respect but we live in hope.
Chad Cornes was the last one to have actual power and we were doing so well, instead of keeping that going the club goes "no we want to be s**t in the SANFL" this is why I get a bit confused about blaming the SANFL for the magpies being weak (not saying they aren't to somewhat blame) but the club is equally to blame because they don't even try. Look at the crows in the SANFL their recruitment is so much better than ours and they aren't throwing a tantrum or saying leave.

Chad Cornes was the last one to have actual power and we were doing so well, instead of keeping that going the club goes "no we want to be s**t in the SANFL" this is why I get a bit confused about blaming the SANFL for the magpies being weak (not saying they aren't to somewhat blame) but the club is equally to blame because they don't even try. Look at the crows in the SANFL their recruitment is so much better than ours and they aren't throwing a tantrum or saying leave.

The Crows absolutely want out.
The Crows would also like Port to do the heavy lifting to make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To have a strong league side you need a strong reserves side. It will work out in the long run.

No point having a reserves who get killed every week
This isn't actually true and hasn't been for about 25 years, I think our balance between development & playing to win is off however I couldn't give a rats ass about winning flags at that level it's not the goal anymore.

This isn't actually true and hasn't been for about 25 years, I think our balance between development & playing to win is off however I couldn't give a rats ass about winning flags at that level it's not the goal anymore.
When Richmond won't their flags, their reserves made two VFL gf winning one.

Box Hill were strong when Hawthorn was.

Sorry but yes, you do need a strong reserves to have a strong league side, because I'm telling you, where the magpies sit right now is where the power will be sitting in two to three years.

When Richmond won't their flags, their reserves made two VFL gf winning one.

Box Hill were strong when Hawthorn was.

Sorry but yes, you do need a strong reserves to have a strong league side, because I'm telling you, where the magpies sit right now is where the power will be sitting in two to three years.
Collingwood reserves finished 8th last year, Geelong reserves finished 14th the year before, I could go on it's not the indicator it once was at all. I said we have the balance wrong atm but that's it you don't need to be shooting the lights out at that level.

We have a pretty strong Magpies team this year. Problem is that we had a few injuries/suspension in the one area, midfield, and against Glenelg we prioritised playing Clurey on a wing, over trying to man up on their All-SA team forward line.

Throw McKenzie and Clurey back, add SPP to the selection that week and we would've been far more competitive.

The other big bonus we'll have this week is a Sunday game allowing all emergencies to play, which is great for someone like Sinn who gets to be the 24th man, but also doesn't miss out on a game this week.

We have a pretty strong Magpies team this year. Problem is that we had a few injuries/suspension in the one area, midfield, and against Glenelg we prioritised playing Clurey on a wing, over trying to man up on their All-SA team forward line.

Throw McKenzie and Clurey back, add SPP to the selection that week and we would've been far more competitive.

The other big bonus we'll have this week is a Sunday game allowing all emergencies to play, which is great for someone like Sinn who gets to be the 24th man, but also doesn't miss out on a game this week.

Was really evident in defence where we had no one with experience to organise them. McKenzie should make a difference there.

And we are hamstrung by sanfl rules, playing a first gamer on Hosie. Logan Evans has talent but he's not a shut down defender and it was a bad match up that made him look like a scrubber. If Logan Evans was at Norwood he would be playing reserves learning at a decent pace.

We miss Montgomery who is a good one on one defender.

Maggies Changes:
IN: McKenzie, F.Evans, Weidemann
OUT: Georgiades (AFL), Walsh (Suspended), Baldwin

Maggies Side:
F: Visentini - Scully - F.Evans
HF: Narkle - Carter - Anastasopoulos
C: Clurey - Moore (C) - Lorenz
HB: Sinn - K.Marshall - Chamberlain
B: Weidemann - McKenzie - D.Williams
R: Sweet - Short - Charleson
INT: Szust - Turner - Byrne - L.Evans
EMERG: AFL Sub - Launer - H.Ferrari - Brazel - Aldridge

There is some genuine talent in that side.

Raging every time I see Williams in the twos.

Good to see Sinn stringing a good run of games together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back