2nds Port Adelaide vs Norwood - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch the game but Dantes stats don't read that bad?

24 hiit outs 8 tackles

From memory I think Boyd is roundabout 115 kg plus with a fairly low centre of gravity. I don’t think you’re moving him around too much once he's under the ball.
What stands out about Dante of late, for me at least. Is dropping almost every attempted mark he takes. Needs to massively improve in that area before getting anywhere near the AFL side.

I noticed him mainly between the arcs a fair bit.

Didnt take any notice of where he started from, whenever there was a centre bounce.

Been keeping a close eye in recent streams, he doesn’t seem to rest forward, where I think he’d be more dangerous. I tackles well & hoping he’ll be the forward to replace Jed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing I did notice was that Scully looked a fair bit bulkier that I remembered seeing him. Arms weren’t spaghetti thin and there was some meat around his midriff and waste. It looked like “bulking” related change. I.e. from higher calorie surplus. Not overly defined muscle but good to see there’s more to work with now.

Do you think Tom is a realistic chance of debuting in the next 12 months, or further down the track?

Do you think Tom is a realistic chance of debuting in the next 12 months, or further down the track?
Further down the track for me. Mid next year at earliest. I was more hopeful after the preseason games where he looked a lot sharper. The weakened SANFL line-up of the past 3-4 weeks has led to fewer and poorer inside 50 m entries, and there has been no tall support up forward in the absence of Lord. He's not looked so great under those conditions.

I do think he has potential to be a good second ruckman (better than Lord) and therefore well-suited to play in the AFL side in the long-term.

Been keeping a close eye in recent streams, he doesn’t seem to rest forward, where I think he’d be more dangerous. I tackles well & hoping he’ll be the forward to replace Jed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tommy A is doing the things at SANFL level that we expect Jed to do at AFL level. Just not getting involved enough at the moment, but neither are Evans or Charleson because the team is so weakened and any forward 50 entries are chaotic and few and far between.

Last edited:
I only watched the game in bits and pieces on the AFL stream, but tolerated most of the last quarter. There's clearly a directive from sanfl headquarters that we aren't to win games. The umpiring was abominable. Any time we looked threatening, the umps pulled one out of their clacker for Norwood.

I did realise that while our top up players are basically depth from other clubs, the back end league players at other clubs are very ordinary too. These guys would have been playing bush leagues back in the day. So our sanfl top up players are actually largely ok.

We just suffer from not having any experienced AFL players handy, with most of the available group being skinny kids. I don't know why more effort wasn't put into getting some extra bulk on Charleson and Anastasopoulos (who incidentally didn't have a long enough name for the commentator so he added another vowel) in the off-season.

Thought Lorenz looked good again, Visentini while he couldn't hold marks rucked the pants off Boyd in the last quarter, Evans did a bit but it was mostly the top ups who stood out.

Logan Evans looks alright, can probably lock him in for the mid-season draft even though he doesn't fill an immediate need.

Re the money bit, I can't think of the bloke's name but back in the late 1970's an Essendon player came here to play for West Torrens and I can recall in an interview he said it was because the sanfl club had offered him a fair bit more than he was getting at the bombers.

He was a fair haired 5' 11ish half forward cum midfielder type who had a couple of good years here before going back to a different VFL club, and then from memory played state footy for the Vics.
Is it Shane Grambeau?.

Ian Wallace? The red rooster.
You are testing the memory bank now LD, Wallace was a bit like the curate's egg his good was ok but his bad was a tad comical, he was `Clanger' Kleynjans well before the real Clanger arrived here, and from memory came to SA from either the VFA, or another Melbourne suburban comp.

The bloke I'm referring to was a regular first choice player at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are testing the memory bank now LD, Wallace was a bit like the curate's egg his good was ok but his bad was a tad comical, he was `Clanger' Kleynjans well before the real Clanger arrived here, and from memory came to SA from either the VFA, or another Melbourne suburban comp.

The bloke I'm referring to was a regular first choice player at Essendon.
John Birt - Torrens playing coach 68-70 he was from Essendon.

John Birt - Torrens playing coach 68-70 he was from Essendon.
Curiosity got the better of me so I had to google Essendon past players to find him.

It was John Cassin

Essendon 51 games from 1971 - 74
West Torrens 34 games from 1975 - 76
North Melbourne 78 games from 1977 - 81 ( inc the 1977 drawn gf, and the winning replay the next week)
Fitzroy 5 games 1981 - 82

Curiosity got the better of me so I had to google Essendon past players to find him.

It was John Cassin

North Melbourne 78 games from 1977 - 81 ( inc the 1977 drawn gf, and the winning replay the next week)
Oh yeah I remember him - Yes he could play. Didn't realise he was ex Essendon always thought he was North Melbourne.

It was John Cassin

You had me searching the memory banks, wouldn't have come up with John Cassin. But he was a good player. Must have been youngish when he played for Torrens seeing as he played 6 years in the VFL after his stint there.

We used to get some good VFL players here late in their careers, often as captain coach.

You had me searching the memory banks, wouldn't have come up with John Cassin. But he was a good player. Must have been youngish when he played for Torrens seeing as he played 6 years in the VFL after his stint there.

We used to get some good VFL players here late in their careers, often as captain coach.
Cassin was 19 when he played his first senior game for Essendon, and 24 when he came here to play for Torrens, so he would have been 26ish when North enticed him back across the border.

He stuck in my memory (except for his name) due to an interview he did some years after he retired about how powerful and well coached the Maggies were during his stint here.

For a not particularly big bloke at around 5' 11'' and 80 kgs he must have been very durable, as I believe he may still hold the record for the most senior Afl/Vfl games played in the one season, which was 27 in 1977 and includes all minor round games and all finals including the drawn grand final, and the replay.
He may have played in the mid season comp of that year as well, but the Vics have never counted them as senior games.

We just suffer from not having any experienced AFL players handy, with most of the available group being skinny kids. I don't know why more effort wasn't put into getting some extra bulk on Charleson and Anastasopoulos (who incidentally didn't have a long enough name for the commentator so he added another vowel) in the off-season.
When I was talking to Kyle Marshall's old man we discussed this a bit.

On the walk back to my car I thought if we are going to cut Charlie but he wants to play on next year, put him on a rookie contract of $100k, $80k is outside the cap and tell him he plays for the Maggies unless we have massive amount of injuries. That way we have a big strong dude in our forward line who protects our young players. He only has to do about 40% of training with main squad and has to do all the training with the Maggies top up players.

That way he has free time to do some of the stuff he is interested in during the week.

Make his contract such that he gets say $20k if he has to play an AFL game.

That would help in the SANFL but might not in the VFL as he would have to jump on a plane every second week and he night not be interested in that.

I wouldn't offer this sort of deal to Boak. Only offer it to an old player who can become a protector type.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back