NRL NRL 2024 - Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 4th April
Melbourne vs Brisbane (AAMI Park - 20:00)

Friday 5th April
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Sydney Roosters (Accor Stadium - 18:00)
Newcastle vs St.George-Illawarra (McDonald Jones Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 6th April
South Sydney vs New Zealand (Accor Stadium - 15:00)
Manly-Warringah vs Penrith (4 Pines Park - 17:30)
Dolphins vs Wests Tigers (Suncorp Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 7th April
North Queensland vs Gold Coast (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 16:05)
Canberra vs Parramatta (GIO Stadium - 18:15)

Bye:
Cronulla-Sutherland

I waited until today to post about that because I was steaming like a f**ing kettle last night.

Firstly I have never been so embarrassed by either my afl or league team as I was for the first half hour last night.

That was pathetic.

1. The young send off. Had no problem with it being 10 in the bin and really I’d have no problem with it being a send off except most times this year or the last few years it won’t be. Yes it’s probably worth it but that’s generally not how it’s policed. If Mitchell can avoid a binning for sliding hip first into JAC’s head I don’t see why this should be a send off. Anyway I digress.

2. Radley’s binning was a joke. Soon it will turn into afl where if you tackle anyone from behind essentially it will be a penalty of some sort. I suspect Crichton may have exaggerated things a little too even though he’s one of my favourite non rooster players.

3. Manu should have had better ball security on that call with Burton but it was pretty blatant. How the referee didn’t call that I will never know.

There were a whole bunch of other things - a player was taken out on the inside during that run where Kikau knocked out Tedesco that I thought was illegal but maybe it wasn’t I don’t know. Forward passes missed. You could argue the Manu try may have been a double movement, I actually thought at first it was Crichton who pushed the ball onto the line but at second look maybe it wasn’t. We got some calls that were a bit more friendly at times in the second half. At any rate I am usually the first to pile the blame on our own ineptitude and for 30 minutes last night that’s all we deserved but some of that refereeing was even more inept.

I waited until today to post about that because I was steaming like a f**ing kettle last night.

Firstly I have never been so embarrassed by either my afl or league team as I was for the first half hour last night.

That was pathetic.

1. The young send off. Had no problem with it being 10 in the bin and really I’d have no problem with it being a send off except most times this year or the last few years it won’t be. Yes it’s probably worth it but that’s generally not how it’s policed. If Mitchell can avoid a binning for sliding hip first into JAC’s head I don’t see why this should be a send off. Anyway I digress.

2. Radley’s binning was a joke. Soon it will turn into afl where if you tackle anyone from behind essentially it will be a penalty of some sort. I suspect Crichton may have exaggerated things a little too even though he’s one of my favourite non rooster players.

3. Manu should have had better ball security on that call with Burton but it was pretty blatant. How the referee didn’t call that I will never know.

There were a whole bunch of other things - a player was taken out on the inside during that run where Kikau knocked out Tedesco that I thought was illegal but maybe it wasn’t I don’t know. Forward passes missed. You could argue the Manu try may have been a double movement, I actually thought at first it was Crichton who pushed the ball onto the line but at second look maybe it wasn’t. We got some calls that were a bit more friendly at times in the second half. At any rate I am usually the first to pile the blame on our own ineptitude and for 30 minutes last night that’s all we deserved but some of that refereeing was even more inept.
I probably side with you that Radley's was not a sin bin offence. But he left the ground so I don't mind if the Nrl take that out of the game.

I probably side with you that Radley's was not a sin bin offence. But he left the ground so I don't mind if the Nrl take that out of the game.

You’ve got to give the defenders the chance to make the tackle. I know that the ACTUAL hip drop when it happens can be lethal. But a swinging arm can be lethal if it collects someone on the nose, you don’t bin guys for a slamming their arm around someone’s chest in a great ball and all tackle.

Crichton was almost away and Radley is trying to tackle him from behind and he did it perfectly legally and Crichton’s ankle simply get’s twisted below Crichton and Keary(?) I just don’t see what else a defender can do unless he wants to say ‘I just won’t make the tackle.’

You’ve got to give the defenders the chance to make the tackle. I know that the ACTUAL hip drop when it happens can be lethal. But a swinging arm can be lethal if it collects someone on the nose, you don’t bin guys for a slamming their arm around someone’s chest in a great ball and all tackle.

Crichton was almost away and Radley is trying to tackle him from behind and he did it perfectly legally and Crichton’s ankle simply get’s twisted below Crichton and Keary(?) I just don’t see what else a defender can do unless he wants to say ‘I just won’t make the tackle.’
Did he need to leave the ground to make the tackle? If yes, then in my opinion, he shouldn't make that tackle.

Did he need to leave the ground to make the tackle? If yes, then in my opinion, he shouldn't make that tackle.
You can’t legislate against what guys have to do to make a tackle when they aren’t attacking the head:

When they legislated against the hip drop tackle no one that makes the tackle has to do it. There are plenty of other ways to do it.

You can’t say to someone ‘don’t leave the ground to try and tackle someone in case you slip off them accidentally and when they fall over everything ends up in a tangled mess and there’s a one in a million chance they twist their ankle.’
He wasn’t even injured.

Once you start doing that you start getting to the point where every single tackle that results in someone getting the slightest bit injured gets policed out of the game

You can’t legislate against what guys have to do to make a tackle when they aren’t attacking the head:

When they legislated against the hip drop tackle no one that makes the tackle has to do it. There are plenty of other ways to do it.

You can’t say to someone ‘don’t leave the ground to try and tackle someone in case you slip off them accidentally and when they fall over everything ends up in a tangled mess and there’s a one in a million chance they twist their ankle.’
He wasn’t even injured.

Once you start doing that you start getting to the point where every single tackle that results in someone getting the slightest bit injured gets policed out of the game
The following sets out the key indicators whether a charge is to be considered:

1. Grip – the defending player has a grip on the attacking player (one hand or two)
  2. Rotate – the defending player uses that grip and swings or rotates their body to a position behind or to the side of the ball carrier
  3. Drop – the defending player then drops their body weight directly onto the attacking player's legs (as opposed to their body weight landing on the ground first to absorb most of the impact)
Going by the criteria listed on the rules pages, it does seem to qualify for a hip drop tackle.

But for mine, penalty, not a sin binning.

Only bad call was the Radley one the rest were correct. Young has been so bad him getting sent was a positive lol

As for the Tedesco one nothing in it Tedesco is just horribly suspect to concussions can’t always blame the other player.

Ref was very good showed why he’s still the best one in the game

The following sets out the key indicators whether a charge is to be considered:

1. Grip – the defending player has a grip on the attacking player (one hand or two)
  2. Rotate – the defending player uses that grip and swings or rotates their body to a position behind or to the side of the ball carrier
  3. Drop – the defending player then drops their body weight directly onto the attacking player's legs (as opposed to their body weight landing on the ground first to absorb most of the impact)
Going by the criteria listed on the rules pages, it does seem to qualify for a hip drop tackle.

But for mine, penalty, not a sin binning.

Hasn’t been charged and it’s the right call there’s no “hip drop” was similar to the Jack Wighton one last week where he actually took care and rotated to the side, other tackler makes last nights look worse

Only bad call was the Radley one the rest were correct. Young has been so bad him getting sent was a positive lol

As for the Tedesco one nothing in it Tedesco is just horribly suspect to concussions can’t always blame the other player.

Ref was very good showed why he’s still the best one in the game

lol no he didn’t. Yes you can pull your hand out when it’s locked in to the ball carrier’s body. You can’t turn your hand and grab the thing mate I’m sorry.

Who said there was anything in the Tedesco concussion?

The second dogs try came from a pass where Kurt man’s hand was literally up next to his shoulder FACING the roosters’ try line when he offloaded it to Burton.

it wasn’t even just the roosters that suffered bad calls. You could not possibly mount a case that that game was well refereed - I just had a look at the Tedesco concussion because I was sure a player was interfered with back infield. I was right: but it was a Bulldogs player tackled on suspicion when Kikau dummied to him. It didn’t matter anyway as the Dogs scored soon after but it was another blunder from the referee.

Right so Young with an accidental albeit incredibly stupid and careless high shot gets sent off and Mitchell deliberately elbows someone in the head and it just goes in report 😂😂
Protected species that thug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dolphins half back has quickly become one of the best halves in the league imo. Been watching all their games last year and this year and he's really come on.

Was highly rated at Penrith

Unheralded Manly forward pack really stepped up today.

Nathan Brown, Taniela Paseka, Josh Aloiai, Tof Sipley. Take a bow.

The Warriors play a simple but effective game-plan; good kicking game and chase, solid forward effort. And they have enough finesse to put on scores when they get to the red zone. Souths, on the other hand, look like they met in the car-park. The contrast between the coaches looks unavoidable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back