NRL NRL 2024 - Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 2nd May
South Sydney vs Penrith (Accor Stadium - 19:50)

Friday 3rd May
Manly-Warringah vs Canberra (4 Pines Park - 18:00)
Brisbane vs Sydney Roosters (Suncorp Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 4th May
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Wests Tigers (Accor Stadium - 15:00)
Gold Coast vs Melbourne (Cbus Super Stadium - 17:30)
North Queensland vs Dolphins (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 5th May
Newcastle vs New Zealand (McDonald Jones Stadium - 14:00)
St.George-Illawarravs vs Cronulla-Sutherland (PointsBet Stadium - 16:05)

Bye: Parramatta

Last edited:

I thought both Friday games this week were absolute belters, and surprised to see Titans/Storm much more of a contest than I expected. Awful about Pap, though. Not really convinced by the Dolphins (I know they're well under strength), but young Katoa looks a hell of a prospect.

Tiers atm imo:

Penrith
Melbourne

Manly
Roosters
Brisbane

Cronulla (need a scalp)
Phins
Cowboys
Warriors

The rest

I know it is his schtick and he works it well but Mahoney is going to cost his team big time in some capacity this year, or himself. Yes there are rules in place that stop guys getting punched and so forth but it’s rugby league not chess. Rules only go so far and he’s putting a bigger and bigger target on himself every week

More bizarre decision making at Newcastle in the second half. NZ denied a try for an obstruction which in theory I don’t have that much of a problem with because the lead runner probably ran directly to the chest of the defender rather than at the inside shoulder.

BUT, as the commentators pointed out, especially Vossy, the defenders are coached to not make the effort. That’s the bottom line. They know they will get the penalty, so they’re coached to not bother attempting to try and get to the next ball carrier. It’s as simple as that. As blocker said Hastings actually wrapped his arms around the lead runner rather than pushing off him and moving sideways to get to the next carrier. It’s awful football. And one man is more responsible than any other and it is Paul Gallen. He was as tough as nails but he began this s**t over a decade ago and used to win penalties from it all the time and referees fell for it and from then on all coaches have understandably coached their players to do it.

As soon as referees start to show some discretion and simply put some onus back on the players and say ‘you made no effort to get to the ball carrier’ it will stop.

Can't see things changing anytime soon. This is the issue: fans bleat, we want consistency, authorities say, OK, we'll make a black and white rule, inside shoulder, etc, no room for referee discretion. Personally I'd be happy to leave it entirely to the ref on the field, with the simple maxim, has a defender been disadvantaged, or not. If not, then play on. But do that, and and be prepared for the decision going a way you don't like. I fully agree with you that defenders are getting adept at milking this; Cam Munster is a past-master.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised no sin bin at least with the contact on DWZ.

Anyway, both my Maggies won so not all doom and gloom. Hopefully they get a bit better for my trip to Brisbane.
Didn't realise you were going up to magic round.
I'll be up there for the Sunday games with meltiger

Didn't realise you were going up to magic round.
I'll be up there for the Sunday games with meltiger

Nice. Sunday games for us too as the youngest is a Storm fan. My son moved up to the Sunshine Coast late last year, so we get to kill two birds with one stone. :)

If this ref gets another game then the NRL is proving she is nothing more than a diversity hire. I haven't seen a worse display by any official in any sport.
What's not helping the cause is all the sexist/derogatory comments about her.

Now that's being talked about, rather than the fact she's ******* horrendous. 5 Captain's Challenges were successful against her. I mean, come on.

What's not helping the cause is all the sexist/derogatory comments about her.

Now that's being talked about, rather than the fact she's ******* horrendous. 5 Captain's Challenges were successful against her. I mean, come on.

One of my conspiracy theorist mates and probably less intelligent when it comes to gender politics tried to just say straight out ‘it’s because she’s a woman. They shouldn’t be reffing.’

I countered it by saying that she is just a bad referee mate it isn’t that she’s a woman - the other female referee I’ve been watching (can’t remember her name) has been doing a decent enough job relative to the blokes and doesn’t seem to have an issue. Whinge all you like but focus on how s**t she is not what gender she is.

One of my conspiracy theorist mates and probably less intelligent when it comes to gender politics tried to just say straight out ‘it’s because she’s a woman. They shouldn’t be reffing.’

I countered it by saying that she is just a bad referee mate it isn’t that she’s a woman - the other female referee I’ve been watching (can’t remember her name) has been doing a decent enough job relative to the blokes and doesn’t seem to have an issue. Whinge all you like but focus on how s**t she is not what gender she is.
Belinda Sharpe and I think she's genuinely very good.

Annesley came out after the Raiders/Titans game and said Badger had missed 28 calls. How she's able to still get a gig off that alone...

I just simply refuse to believe she's getting a gig on merit - if she's in the best 8-10 refs in the comp, it's in a far worse position than most realise.

Belinda Sharpe and I think she's genuinely very good.

Annesley came out after the Raiders/Titans game and said Badger had missed 28 calls. How she's able to still get a gig off that alone...

I just simply refuse to believe she's getting a gig on merit - if she's in the best 8-10 refs in the comp, it's in a far worse position than most realise.

Oh definitely I agree that SHE is in because of her gender. But I don’t believe she is BAD because of her gender

She’s just bad

And while I’ll add the caveat that I don’t like the guy, if you can a) leave a player on after Seizer’s hip drop but then b) send TWO off and c) LEAVE Mahoney on when he runs from 50 metres away to escalate a fracas, you are hopeless
NRL is now arguing ii isn’t a hip drop but a grade 3 dangerous contact.
4-5 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

Someone really hates the tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back