NRL NRL 2024 - Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 25th April
New Zealand vs Gold Coast (Go Media Stadium - 14:00)
St.George-Illawarra vs Sydney Roosters (Allianz Stadium - 16:05)
Melbourne vs South Sydney (AAMI Park - 19:50)

Friday 26th April
Manly-Warringah vs Parramatta (4 Pines Park - 20:00)

Saturday 27th April
Wests Tigers vs Brisbane (Campbelltown Sports Stadium - 17:30)
North Queensland vs Penrith (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 28th April
Dolphins vs Newcastle (Suncorp Stadium - 14:00)
Canberra vs Cronulla-Sutherland (GIO Stadium - 16:05)

Bye: Canterbury-Bankstown

Ricky Stuart won’t be able to blame the referees today, sheesh.

I didn’t realise how long he had been in the job down there.

This is his 11th season, for - by my count - 1 grand final and one preliminary final, and a winning record of a little over 50 per cent.

Not sure many if anyone else would have survived that long on that record.

I didn’t realise how long he had been in the job down there.

This is his 11th season, for - by my count - 1 grand final and one preliminary final, and a winning record of a little over 50 per cent.

Not sure many if anyone else would have survived that long on that record.

Jeez, also surprised it’s been that long! They’ve never really bottomed out but never been a title threat either perhaps other than that 1 grand final.

Yeah wow, I swear it doesn't feel that long ago.

The crazy thing is, I can't see them replacing him anytime soon either. They seem pretty content with him there.

Canberra is such an odd market in the NRL, they're often just an afterthought.

I always had a tremendous respect for them as they had a way better record for at least making the 8 than anyone gave them credit for; 11 of the 15 seasons after their last grand final win in 1994 they played finals footy by my calculations, they just rarely went very deep. But they were, and generally still have been, mired in mediocrity.

And a snapshot of their best players in the current Stuart tenure highlights that. Apart from a reliable stager like Papalii who gives the same every week, their best players have been so ridiculously inconsistent and dare I say it overrated that it boggles the mind. Rocks-Diamonds-Rapana. Three things that go hand in hand.
BJ Leilua - name me a stupider rugby league player. It’s impossible and that’s saying something. Even Jack Wighton, yeah he could play but getting the same level out of him for a month of footy was high on impossible and at some point later in life I’d like to think he will present Jared Waerea-Hargreaves with the 2019 Clive Churchill Medal he owes him.
The Raiders would have killed over the past decade for a DCE or Cronk or even a Reynolds to build a team around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back