Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Your aware he’s led the goalkicking at the club for the past 2 and a half years, averages the most score involvements out of all our forwards in the past 4 years and taken the best defender since his first game as a forward.

Not sure what’s this “small sample size” you’re referring to.
Rory Lobb did that? I stand corrected.

Why VFL games then?

The worst thing about the last three weeks. Is we lost to two mid table teams, who will be around the same spot as us, and who we also beat last year. Still have loads of hard games to come, and we are yet to win an eight point game, unless you think the Saints will finish mid table.

Re: Forward entries, in the first 10 minutes of the game Naughton had a mark/free on the front of the centre square, and had Lobb all alone, screaming for the ball 40m out directly in front...

...and went wide to a contest in the pocket.

I don't know how you can miss a bleach-blonde, 195cm man doing star jumps, but either way, Naughton ignoring him or not even looking in the most obvious on the ground has to be on the coaches, right?

More than comfortable for Caleb Daniel to be told to pack his bags as of tonight. This is from a player who is in the leadership group who is just soaking up cap space to be beyond woeful.

Bramble needs to be moved on as well. He was delisted from Hawthorn for a reason.

Add in some rubbish goal kicking from English and Bontempelli and that really sums up why we lost this game.

We need a new coach and we all just know it.
I don’t think a new coach could squeeze anything more out of this group.

So blame the players? Our off field leadership is our problem - starting with the coach.
Definitely blame the players! Don’t they have any responsibility for the decisions they make, the skills they are meant to have, the team and game plan they are supposed to follow?

4 total CBAs for Harmes and Garcia is ridiculous considering they’re midfielders. Makes no sense why we have Harmes if we don’t actually use him in the middle when opposition have control
Very poor decision not to try putting the clamps on Fyffe who was releasing their speedier muds with the forward handballs. Harmes should have been given a crack to try and slow the number of their effective clearances.

Freo got robbed against Carlton had power at home. We’re poor last week. They are a good team. This comp is very even. We played fairly well. If we can string some wins together are confidence will grow.
It's the same old story for us we created enough opportunities but it is our inability to put it on the scoreboard that sinks us. Bont missing from 5m out.
If we had of kicked the easy shots we would have been 3 = 4 goals up going into the last.
A quite probably a very different outcome. There is different coaching levers that could of been tried but I think that this loss is more on the players not finishing to put the Dockers under some perceived pressure.
If Dockers are 3 or 4 goals down does Banfield flush hi last 2 shots? Different story when a point is near valuable as a goal in that situation and can just afford to give it a ride as there is zero pressure on the outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been posted earlier but the willingness of our players to handball to a team mate under more pressure does my head in. It seems to be a go to play for us.
Apart from the Bont miss the night for me was summed up in a play in the final quarter I think where in the middle of the ground English and Darcy spoilt each other in a marking contest. Why were they standing side by side? Did they not see each other? They are not Caleb Daniel size. It was late in the game so maybe they were too tired to run and create an option but after seeing Freo players run all night to be on their own in the middle and up forward it just summed us up.

His smallness seemed really obvious tonight 🙁
He’s been found out. Dinky 25m kicks just don’t work these days. The amount of times he stopped and propped and held up play is a big reason we lost - that and absolute shitful accuracy in front of goal….again

The big difference for me between last week and this week was the willingness for a player to run past and support the player with the ball. We aren’t a fast side, but looked like lightning last week with quick movement handballing to a player on the move from a standing start often. It opened up the forward line and it showed. Lots of goals scored from 20m out last week. This week, back to bombing it on the heads of the forwards, who all stand next to each other and spoil each other

just as i expected. last week was an emotional based win (based on the media scrutiny)
and last night game showed what we are, unable to beat top 8 teams. we are a 9-12 team

the defensive structure was just poor

There's no discernable craft. No gameplan. Week-in, week-out it's a bunch of footballers just playing manic, incohesive mish-mash.

Imagine they had some off-field leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back