Rd 7 Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been around football enough to know what defensive aspects are. It’s the total of defensive positioning, defensive transition, being in the right position in the defensive structures.

And I’ve watched a lot of our games and he doesn’t do any less than the rest of our mids, he probably does more from what I’ve seen.

Last week Beveridge should have dropped him rather than have him sub to merely teach a lesson. This week he’s waffled on in the hope people will get confused enough or buy his reasoning.
That's fine then - my comment was made because you used tackles and backwards running as evidence. As you say here there are other factors that the coaches have clearly taken issue with.

To your last sentences, as well as the following post:

The coach has basically said Sanders has not got up to speed in the defensive aspects of the game, which is absolute crap.

The sub last week was a Bevo showing he is the boss moment. Sanders isn’t even slightly a good sub choice, luckily the sub was not really required last week.

He’s be handled poorly the last two weeks. He should have been dropped last week. Not had some crap excused used for this week about his defensive game
I ask this - what is more likely:
  1. That Beveridge, who for all his faults is often regarded as understanding and defensive of his players to a fault, is taking complete control of the match committee, and subbing/dropping a 19 year old to "show he is the boss" and "teach him a lesson?" OR;
  2. Rightly or wrongly, the coaches (note: collectively) are seeing some habits and decisions that run counter to our team structure that maybe aren't evident to those not coaching the team?
I think you're done with our coach (same!) and are seeing what you want to see, personally.

This is good handling of Sanders. IMO, he’s struggled a shade with the pace of AFL, although that’s something that will improve quick enough and 3-4 weeks of banging the door down at VFL level will do him no harm.

Most youngsters come in and out early, and I don’t mind that Bevo gives them a taste before taking them back and have players hone their craft in the twos.

That allows them to come back in with confidence and play a role in the season, rather than cooking them early.

They’re different players, but Dunkley wasn’t dissimilar in his 1st year. Came back that bit sharper after a VFL stint.

“Poor to say the least”

Jeez your standards are high

RD 1 v Melbourne (Subbed out in the 3rd)
15 disposals
2 tackles
68 ranking points

RD 2 vs Suns
22 disposals at 86%
5 tackles
78 ranking points

RD 3 vs Eagles
20 disposals at 75%
6 tackles (2nd most in the game)
85 ranking points

RD 4 vs Geelong
23 disposals at 73%
6 tackles
84 ranking points

RD 5 vs Bombers (subbed out early in 3rd)
8 disposals at 100%
5 tackles
39 ranking points

RD 6 vs Saints (played the 4th quarter)
5 disposals at 80%
2 tackles
22 ranking points

He will come good. Just not there yet.

Needs to attack 50/50 balls better. Fumbles under pressure. He's a good kick but some of his disposals are not up standard yet.

Half of it is bevos own doing. Too much talking Sanders up in the pre season " the most ready kid he's seen come in to the club" . Things like that dont need to be said.

Correct call to drop him. We will win by 40+ no doubt

That's fine then - my comment was made because you used tackles and backwards running as evidence. As you say here there are other factors that the coaches have clearly taken issue with.

To your last sentences, as well as the following post:

I ask this - what is more likely:
  1. That Beveridge, who for all his faults is often regarded as understanding and defensive of his players to a fault, is taking complete control of the match committee, and subbing/dropping a 19 year old to "show he is the boss" and "teach him a lesson?" OR;
  2. Rightly or wrongly, the coaches (note: collectively) are seeing some habits and decisions that run counter to our team structure that maybe aren't evident to those not coaching the team?
I think you're done with our coach (same!) and are seeing what you want to see, personally.

Sanders as sub made no sense last week, he isn’t a sub player. I have no doubt that part of it was for him spitting the dummy in the week prior.

But we also know Beveridge hates the sub, he’s been on record multiple times saying it should just be a 5th interchange player to use as you like. I think his contempt for it is one of the reasons we don’t use an actual tactical sub like most teams. The sub shouldn’t be your 23rd best player it should be someone that injects an element of change or advantage late in the game such as speed. But you look at the history of our use of the sub under Beveridge and it’s generally someone that won’t add something

Sanders as sub made no sense last week, he isn’t a sub player. I have no doubt that part of it was for him spitting the dummy in the week prior.

But we also know Beveridge hates the sub, he’s been on record multiple times saying it should just be a 5th interchange player to use as you like. I think his contempt for it is one of the reasons we don’t use an actual tactical sub like most teams. The sub shouldn’t be your 23rd best player it should be someone that injects an element of change or advantage late in the game such as speed. But you look at the history of our use of the sub under Beveridge and it’s generally someone that won’t add something

Sanders had 64% TOG in his last non-sub-affected match. Subbing him off v Essendon, and being the sub v Saints, makes sense to me as a way of getting game time into him when he's not running out a full match yet.

The coach has basically said Sanders has not got up to speed in the defensive aspects of the game, which is absolute crap.

The sub last week was a Bevo showing he is the boss moment. Sanders isn’t even slightly a good sub choice, luckily the sub was not really required last week.

He’s be handled poorly the last two weeks. He should have been dropped last week. Not had some crap excused used for this week about his defensive game
You do realise the word defensive is a blanket term for many things? His tackle numbers are one thing. But positioning in stoppages and at center bounces is just as critical. Sanders has been caught out of position a few times at center bounces and opponents have ran right past him.

And his high disposal efficiency has been slightly inflated by hand passes and playing it safe with short kicks. I'd like to see him back himself to take the game on and be a touch more aggressive with the ball.

Casual football fans get caught to much in pure stats and don't understand roles and stuff people do off the ball etc. With Libba back, Bont and Treloar on fire, and Macrae getting time in the middle again. His growth will be stunted by getting limited exposure. He needs full game time in the middle. I'm a big fan of his and wanted us to draft him soon as the season ended.

Some fans on social media complaining how other teams first round picks are getting time. Well most of those teams are s**t, or they are given easy outside or half back roles. Sanders is a pure inside type and that's probably the hardest position to come in as a rookie outside key forward/defender.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is complaining that he is an out, it’s more the handling of him the last 2 weeks and the messaging from the coach.
We have not the slightest idea about the handling or the messaging inside the club. It’s Bigfooty and the media feeding off each other and making assumptions.

We have not the slightest idea about the handling or the messaging inside the club. It’s Bigfooty and the media feeding off each other and making assumptions.

The difference between "ACTUAL DEVIL BEVO PERSONALLY DROPS SANDERS" and "Harley Reid rested after star performance" is in reality zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talked about the press conference?

Never said it was internal messaging and never used any social media. Used what Bevo said himself. Based on that formed an opinion and presented an opinion on a forum for opinions? Is that not what Bigfoot’s is for?

The only facts we have as a supporter base are:
Sanders spat the dummy in round 5
Sanders was made sub in round 6
Bevo said Sanders is not up to speed on the defensive aspects of the game or words to that affect.
Sanders was omitted.

Internally could the messaging be different? Absolutely? Are we privy to the internal messaging? No

All we can do is make assumptions and opinions and if we didn’t they may as well close this place down and everyone just wait for the club to tell them what to think

We've named the sub from our interchange every week haven't we? Don't think it will be Vanders...

Likely Bramble or Gallagher it looks like, hopefully Bramble who could be a good sub option to bring some more run in some time in the 3rd quarter.

We've named the sub from our interchange every week haven't we? Don't think it will be Vanders...

Likely Bramble or Gallagher it looks like, hopefully Bramble who could be a good sub option to bring some more run in some time in the 3rd quarter.
I think the sub has to come from one of the 5 interchange players named

It’s almost certainly going to be Bramble.

I can understand the reasoning behind Sanders being dropped but why do we keep persisting with an absolute dud like VDM. Would have been perfect to give Clark a crack in the seniors IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back