Rd 7 Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the issue with Sanders is that he plays his best in the middle. And we just can’t / don’t give him enough time in there to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is pretty much it. Sanders isn’t a half forward and he’s not yet good enough to displace our starting on ball brigade. Macrae & Harmes are better options if we’re picking a team to win this weekend in that specific role.

He’s better off getting 30 at VFL level with a full game in the midfield for a couple of weeks.

Think it’s the right call to give Sanders a run in the twos. He’s had a really good start, but like most young players, has a bit to work on. Can get caught in no man’s land a little and also ball chase a touch. I disagree he’s been mishandled in any way.

Think the issue with Sanders is that he plays his best in the middle. And we just can’t / don’t give him enough time in there to develop.
It's a very small sample of games for us to know that with any certainty.

Naturally that's where he played as an U18 and where we expect he will end up but if he's any good he'll find enough of the footy elsewhere. His good ball usage should be ideal for that high half forward role that is difficult to play and provides the link to the forwards having shots at goal. He would only need to get 10-12 quality possessions a game.

I hope they have been having constructive conversations about why he is not getting much game time.

Anyway it is what it is. Let's see how he deals with it.

The absolute whingeing on socials is a sight to behold. Yes, I'm sure fourth year player Sanders will still be seething over the time he played a couple of VFL games in his first year and be ready to walk out the door.
Any time that a player goes back to the VFL the reaction is other clubs will come for them and they will look to leave ... happens on this forum and in the media too

The absolute whingeing on socials is a sight to behold. Yes, I'm sure fourth year player Sanders will still be seething over the time he played a couple of VFL games in his first year and be ready to walk out the door.
Much better off playing 2 or 3 full games at VFL level and dominating rather then being subbed in and out every week.

Think the reasoning behind sanders being out is a bit of bs.

Beveridge talked about the defensive aspects of the game, he’s been up there in the top for tackles most games and have noticed he works back quite hard in games.

Some honesty behind omissions would be nice, if it’s because of him cracking it over being subbed or simply because Libba is back then fine but don’t make crap up

Think the reasoning behind sanders being out is a bit of bs.

Beveridge talked about the defensive aspects of the game, he’s been up there in the top for tackles most games and have noticed he works back quite hard in games.

Some honesty behind omissions would be nice, if it’s because of him cracking it over being subbed or simply because Libba is back then fine but don’t make crap up
It's because when coaches talk about "defensive aspects of the game," they aren't talking about what fans are talking about when they say "defensive aspects of the game."

Libba in was obvious.

Dont mind Sanders as long as hes back in the side soon. We have little chance of challenging this year. We may aswell get AFL time into the prospect we spent so much on.

Still too tall and theres always one low-skill battler that makes it in. We've just pivoted from Baker to Harmes in that respect.

Think it’s the right call to give Sanders a run in the twos. He’s had a really good start, but like most young players, has a bit to work on. Can get caught in no man’s land a little and also ball chase a touch. I disagree he’s been mishandled in any way.

Honestly don't think he has been anywhere near it so far.

Loved him before the draft and think he will be a great long term prospect for us but definitely needed to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Bevo has handled Sanders really badly so far tbh.

Subbed him out twice, made him the sub once and now dropped. He hasn’t played badly at all, not good for his development or confidence.
He's been poor to say the least. Deserves to be dropped.

Since when are first year players not allowed be dropped? Some of the hestyria has been wild.

Last edited:
It's because when coaches talk about "defensive aspects of the game," they aren't talking about what fans are talking about when they say "defensive aspects of the game."

I have been around football enough to know what defensive aspects are. It’s the total of defensive positioning, defensive transition, being in the right position in the defensive structures.

And I’ve watched a lot of our games and he doesn’t do any less than the rest of our mids, he probably does more from what I’ve seen.

Last week Beveridge should have dropped him rather than have him sub to merely teach a lesson. This week he’s waffled on in the hope people will get confused enough or buy his reasoning.

Since when are first year players not allowed be dropped. Some of the hestyria has been wild.

“Poor to say the least”

Jeez your standards are high

RD 1 v Melbourne (Subbed out in the 3rd)
15 disposals
2 tackles
68 ranking points

RD 2 vs Suns
22 disposals at 86%
5 tackles
78 ranking points

RD 3 vs Eagles
20 disposals at 75%
6 tackles (2nd most in the game)
85 ranking points

RD 4 vs Geelong
23 disposals at 73%
6 tackles
84 ranking points

RD 5 vs Bombers (subbed out early in 3rd)
8 disposals at 100%
5 tackles
39 ranking points

RD 6 vs Saints (played the 4th quarter)
5 disposals at 80%
2 tackles
22 ranking points

I am not sure why the dogs selection creates more headlines than other teams. Other clubs make plenty of selection changes to new and established players. The dogs non selection of Macrae, Lobb, Daniel, Sanders and the subbing of Dale is seen as trouble and unrest in the bulldog camp by the media.

I think a lot of this is because Bevo has in the past taken on the media and the likes of Cornes, Barrett, Wilson and Morris love getting stuck into Bevo to create news. Plus, the Bulldog Bigfooty board are very uncertain if Bevo has ran his race at the dogs especially venting after a loss me included. However, after consideration I think we should be backing him in during the season and reassess at the end depending on performance.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is complaining that he is an out, it’s more the handling of him the last 2 weeks and the messaging from the coach.
I think most clued in people thought he'd be dropped for this game. We get to that point because of the messaging from the coach.

I'm not sure what messaging over the last 2 weeks has given any indication that he'd have a string of consistent games.

Since when are first year players not allowed be dropped. Some of the hestyria has been wild.
I missed that. Who was hysterical?

I really like the balance of the selected team at least this week.

3 options in the ruck if needed. In the past if Tim or Darcy went down, suddenly we are scrambling and at a real disadvantage for the rest of the game and have to chuck a Naughton or a midfielder in there. Not as English reliant and he'll get some help up against two very solid rucks.

Some really good tall marking options and dangerous fwds at their feet in West, Weightman, Garcia.

Three solid KPD options all with the ability to intercept mark and use the ball relatively well compared to guys we have played in the past. Playing just Jones and Buku early on made me very nervous about getting caught out too short.

Plenty of runners in Vanders, Bramble, Dale, Williams, Richards, Gallagher, JJ etc etc, while being a tall side, definitely shouldn't be slow at all.

Still maintain good inside mid depth, if we did lose someone or need to change up the mix, Macrae, Richards, Garcia and even Harmes are available to step in for some rotations.

No excuses this week despite being underdogs, would love Jamarra in but have a quality side still and the Dockers are missing a couple also, i'll be there so can't wait for (hopefully) a great night.

I don't understand what the problem is about. We need to bring in libba. Sanders has done well so far but doesn't have a right to 23 games straight. Let him focus on different aspects in the VFL. It's good for character building. Sanders is going to be good he is only at the start of his AFL career. The right decision was made.

I think most clued in people thought he'd be dropped for this game. We get to that point because of the messaging from the coach.

I'm not sure what messaging over the last 2 weeks has given any indication that he'd have a string of consistent games.

The coach has basically said Sanders has not got up to speed in the defensive aspects of the game, which is absolute crap.

The sub last week was a Bevo showing he is the boss moment. Sanders isn’t even slightly a good sub choice, luckily the sub was not really required last week.

He’s be handled poorly the last two weeks. He should have been dropped last week. Not had some crap excused used for this week about his defensive game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back