Rd 7 Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand the reasoning behind Sanders being dropped but why do we keep persisting with an absolute dud like VDM. Would have been perfect to give Clark a crack in the seniors IMO.
Clark is a small forward, plays a different role. Can't cover the ground like VDM does.
If West or Weightman miss I suspect Clarke debuts. Shows some positive signs

That Freo forward line is one of the worst I’ve ever seen for an afl team, other than Walters getting his usual couple of goals after staging it’s hard to see where they’re coming from. Because they’re such little threat forward it’s a great opportunity to go quick and use the corridor more, if it’s a slow defensive game Freo are in their element.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That Freo forward line is one of the worst I’ve ever seen for an afl team, other than Walters getting his usual couple of goals after staging it’s hard to see where they’re coming from. Because they’re such little threat forward it’s a great opportunity to go quick and use the corridor more, if it’s a slow defensive game Freo are in their element.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pearce and Ryan are quality though so we absolutely have to be smart going forward and look for the 3rd & 4th leading options where possible. Darcy & Weightman will be very important this game.

Pearce and Ryan are quality though so we absolutely have to be smart going forward and look for the 3rd & 4th leading options where possible. Darcy & Weightman will be very important this game.
Pearce can be heavily scored on if we move the ball quickly (we’ve got a hold of him a few times). Really solid full back when they’re firing, but he’s a plodder.

Ryan is a star.

Pearce can be heavily scored on if we move the ball quickly (we’ve got a hold of him a few times). Really solid full back when they’re firing, but he’s a plodder.

Ryan is a star.
Ryan needs to be held accountable, like most he is very fragile one on one.

Sanders has had a good run. In recent years top picks like JUH and Darcy have had to wait until late in the season to get a run. Sanders has played the first six.
Will be good for him to have a run in the twos.

I imagine our preferred match-up for Ryan would be West. Pearce is having a great start to the year, he had a shocker against us last year, though. Hopefully we start well again, putting early score pressure on them will put pressure on their structure as they will need to change to score.

I think that is the best team on paper that we have put out on the park this year.
Maybe even longer. Richards as a midfield option and Macrae fit and back in form. We have some midfield speed and options for a plan A, B and now ...... C. It's been a very long time since that was the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanders has had a good run. In recent years top picks like JUH and Darcy have had to wait until late in the season to get a run. Sanders has played the first six.
Will be good for him to have a run in the twos.
And as has been mentioned by a few, he's not consistently at the level required in several aspects. It doesn't matter whether that's because he's young, inexperienced or whatever, others give us a better chance of winning an important game in the here and now.

Richards should be in mid rotations after last week, that is his future. Garcia too. Libba, Bont and Treloar need support. Macrae, Richards and Garcia are that support. Use them.

Richards at HB or BP will just fly against Khamis, Jones and O'Donnell like the Bombers debacle where they got in each other's way.

Richards is now a mid. He will win awards and the people's enduring admiration as a mid. He is the heir apparent.
The trouble is once Duryea goes, we have nobody else that can lock down on a small apart from Ed.

And as has been mentioned by a few, he's not consistently at the level required in several aspects. It doesn't matter whether that's because he's young, inexperienced or whatever, others give us a better chance of winning an important game in the here and now.
I note that Harley Reid is being managed (rested) this week. Eagles coach said he was showing signs of fatigue (from match metrics and/or biometrics) despite his good recent form.

It could be very similar to what Sanders is going through (hard to tell) but the messaging from the two clubs is definitely different.

Will Sanders play this week in the practice match or is he being rested?

I note that Harley Reid is being managed (rested) this week. Eagles coach said he was showing signs of fatigue (from match metrics and/or biometrics) despite his good recent form.

It could be very similar to what Sanders is going through (hard to tell) but the messaging from the two clubs is definitely different.

Will Sanders play this week in the practice match or is he being rested?
He only played a quarter of footy last week and two thirds of the week before DW. That's his rest.

He only played a quarter of footy last week and two thirds of the week before DW. That's his rest.
Yes that’s what I’d have thought but I have heard both sides … he needs a full game or two / he needs a rest.

His ToG is less than most but he has been playing through the midfield a fair bit so the workload may still be demanding.

Is he playing tomorrow?

The trouble is once Duryea goes, we have nobody else that can lock down on a small apart from Ed.

After last week's revelation, I am really hoping we don't have to spend Red's career locking down the likes of Cameron, Rozee, Higgins and all the others. Maybe someone like Scott could be groomed for the lock down small role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back