Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

We saw the flip side of playing Richard's through the middle tonight. We have to play Bramble (or somebody else) in his role.

If we're going to persist with Richards through the middle and we should, but ffs send him back when needs be.

Then we need to put games into Joel Freija and look to move forward.

Enough with the role filling journeymen.

Despite the loss, we've got to give credit to both Dale and Macrae for responding to their respective criticisms over the last two weeks.

Dale with his ball movement and efficiency and Macrae with his defensive pressure.

Dale has topped the player ratings in both matches, while Macrae has been ranked 1st in tackles and pressure points in both matches.

Being forced to pay full price to get Darcy and JUH in the door has been revealed. Would do it all over again given how good they will be.

However, we didn’t bring anything in beyond those two of much value and it is now hurting us. Having to bring in Baker, Harmes etc as bottom six is self explanatory

Gave us a big wrap last week deservedly and will give us a big bake this week deservedly.

Pathetic from opening bounce.

Broken tackles all night
s**t goal kicking
Poor at clearances
No pressure all night

We hung in because freo are crap. Fyfe has been cooked for 2 years, could only do that against us.

How much longer do we have to watch vdm play. Last quarter crucial moment didn't kick to open player killed us it's mccomb, honeychurch, gardiner, roarke all over again. Pls lord have mercy on us.

Harmes so disappointing.
buku I'm a big fan but wow horrendous tonight
Caleb justified why he has been dropped
Naughton from brilliant to dropped everything

Bont u r in discussions for the GOAT but wow to miss that kick I was gutted

If I look for positives

Jones saved about 8 goals
JOD some great marks have to persist
Darcy on track

Clearly watching this rubbish....things aren't right. Times up bevo. We need a new voice

Surprised to see West, Garcia and VDM getting some flak. I’ve been massively critical of VDM but his pressure was very good tonight. His decision making was much improved also. West is best 22 all day long. Garcia brings some youthful fight that is missing elsewhere.

I’m more disappointed in Harmes, who was non existent, Lobb, who offered zero. Bont being massively below par and missing absolute sitters. Daniel who I fear is done.

If we aren't using Harmes to run with a bloke who had 11 clearances and 22 touches in the first half (Serong) then what the f is he in the team for?

Baffling we were still in the game with 7 minutes to go considering the dominance of their best few players.

Bont once again way off his best, Treloar battled but wasn't as effective. English another great fantasy score but lack of competitive edge cost us dearly (again)

Freo got robbed against Carlton had power at home. We’re poor last week. They are a good team. This comp is very even. We played fairly well. If we can string some wins together are confidence will grow.

GWS, Swans, Coll and either Ess or Cats will be top 4.

Then Carlton, Dees and Port, putting Freo 8-10.

Where do you think that leaves us?

Gave us a big wrap last week deservedly and will give us a big bake this week deservedly.

Pathetic from opening bounce.

Broken tackles all night
s**t goal kicking
Poor at clearances
No pressure all night

We hung in because freo are crap. Fyfe has been cooked for 2 years, could only do that against us.

How much longer do we have to watch vdm play. Last quarter crucial moment didn't kick to open player killed us it's mccomb, honeychurch, gardiner, roarke all over again. Pls lord have mercy on us.

Harmes so disappointing.
buku I'm a big fan but wow horrendous tonight
Caleb justified why he has been dropped
Naughton from brilliant to dropped everything

Bont u r in discussions for the GOAT but wow to miss that kick I was gutted

If I look for positives

Jones saved about 8 goals
JOD some great marks have to persist
Darcy on track

Clearly watching this rubbish....things aren't right. Times up bevo. We need a new voice
Freo are crap and so are we.

Problems started early tonight with a lot of cute half distance kicks into a packed forward line. Kick it long and rush the pack if we didn't mark it would have been much better

Despite the loss, we've got to give credit to both Dale and Macrae for responding to their respective criticisms over the last two weeks.

Dale with his ball movement and efficiency and Macrae with his defensive pressure.

Dale has topped the player ratings in both matches, while Macrae has been ranked 1st in tackles and pressure points in both matches.
Did you happen to see how many CBA's Garcia had?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been critical of Naughts forward but he presented ok and worked hard to pressure. Was the least of our worries forward

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our lack of leg speed just leads to us dumping it inside 50 and then we all fly as it isn't directed at anyone in particular and then it gets spoiled and as we all flew oppo easily mopit up and slingshot forward

What happened to the flowing ball movement that we had been dabbling with? You know the movement that nearly every other club has adopted?

There's probably no recorded stat for this (Oliver G ?) but I'd love to know how many of our i50 entries occurred when there were already:
  • 0-2 opponents i50
  • 3-5 opponents i50
  • 6-10 opponents i50
  • >10 opponents i50
And then compare that to the same stat for Fremantle's entries.
And for each of those categories it would be good to know how many goals were kicked. My eyes tell me that our entries were skewed toward the 6-10 range, while Freo's were probably more evenly distributed. I can only think of one incisive i50 we had into an uncrowded forward line - the one where Dale kicked to West who scored our first goal.

So often we lost the initiative by stopping and waiting while Freo flooded back. I get it if we're outnumbered 3:1 but remember WE have the ball and we can kick it to advantage. So if we're evenly matched or only slightly outnumbered then it's best to get it in there quickly while it remains an open forward line. We won't score every time but I reckon we'll score more often than if we wait until there are 30 players inside 50.

I'm also sick of us trying to put it on top of Naughton's head. I know he's partly to blame because he thinks that's his strength and he probably asks for that sort of delivery, but he was just blocked and crowded out today. He's at his best if he can get a run up (rarely happens any more) or if he's on the rampage or in space. Otherwise he's better off being the link man between HFF and Centre.

We really missed JUH tonight. He brings a different sort of threat and he draws defenders. In his place Lobb was utterly ineffectual.

In the end it was Darcy the 14 gamer who was our best tall forward.

I don't get how every side we play manages to get free players in their forward line, while we kick the ball around in the middle, switch sides, for awhile and then decide to bomb it into the outnumbered forwards anyway. Other teams score so much more easier than we do. So frustrating.
You've almost answered your own question. Fast ball movement.

With an open forward line the one or two we might have back there can't zone off every square inch of grass so the opposition only needs one quick & crafty player who can find that space.

Why the hell did English take 22 of the 26 CBA’s? Liability of a centre bounce ruckman.

We certainly knew Libba wasn’t going to play, so why drop Sanders? Daniel is an awful sub option and our dads army small defenders were always going to be exposed by Freo’s pace.

Why the hell did English take 22 of the 26 CBA’s? Liability of a centre bounce ruckman.

We certainly knew Libba wasn’t going to play, so why drop Sanders? Daniel is an awful sub option and our dads army small defenders were always going to be exposed by Freo’s pace.
Because he’s our ruck.

I think we gave Libba every chance to be fit. Sanders had already played. Daniel is not a good sub, agreed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back