Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Our senior players are too inconsistent. The two Baileys blow hot and cold. Particularly Williams, not sure what he brings to the team. Treloar battles hard without impact. Bont can't keep up his workrate, he will break down.

I find this a pretty weird stance. Naughton gets the best defender every week. He also kicked six goals last week. Sam was great tonight. Marra has been decent this year. But, Naughton has been our number one forward all year and has had the oppositions best defender all year. Naughton back/forward is an argument, this statement not so much.
Have been critical of Naughts forward but he presented ok and worked hard to pressure. Was the least of our worries forward

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we'd have lost by 50, I'd still feel the same. Flattered by their inability to score.
Need changes, but not sure what we can do now will make the difference. Big off-season for the Dogs.

.If they can't stick tackles better than you, you are behind the 8 ball.

If they can't break tackles better than you, you are behind the 8 ball

If their talls can hold a mark better than you, you are behind the 8 ball

That was seriously horrible to watch.

Anyone who thinks Naughton forward is a better option than Naughton back just wants to watch highlights........and not great ones mostly.

We done for 2024.....over to you Chris Grant.

Last edited:
Wonder what the smarty pants social media group will come up with this week after we bashed up on a broken St Kilda last round.

It'll be some edgy bull**** which is trivial nonsense aimed at 15 year olds, generally paints the picture of everything being rosy and in no way reflects the current mood of supporters.

Maybe a poll of the players and their preferred breakfast cereal?

Our midfield structure is an absolute disgrace. They destroyed us. We are second to the ball constantly. Tim doesn’t freaking jump at the ball ever! How many times do you want to allow serong and Fyfe a clear run at the ball.

When we do win it, we either slip over, hand pass it back to them or bugger it up somehow. Sick of it!

Last edited:
Someone needs to tell Naughton he's allowed to use his big body in a marking contest. The amount of times he has great positions and refuses to engage. Infuriating.

English getting outmarked twice in packs in the last one by Aish was classic Timmy. Ruckman with some form of competitive streak in them don't allow either of those.

It’s the players and it’s the coach.

Our structures are poor especially the forward line and stoppage set up. Constantly see other teams have an issue make it a focus and publicly make it a focus. Such as we got hurt out the front of stoppage and that’s what cost us the game they focus on it for the week tweak things and fix it. I never hear that or see that from this team. We have the same issues for the past 3 seasons.
1. Poor defensive transition
2. Poor defensive set up at stoppages
3. Poor forward line cohesion

It’s also the players, so many weak work rate efforts to get back on defence we jog back as players pass us and give up the chase instantly. Our mids are the worse at it. That's players and work rate.

Our bottom 6 are poor, our bottom 6 are bottom 4 in the league. The issue with them is their best is maybe just above a standard afl player, their worst is poor VFL footballer. We need to improve the bottom 6 with players with upside.

Clearly our forwards don’t know how to separate and create space for each other and block, given they have had a couple preseasons together now it has to come back to coaching.

We need a new voice, and some of our players need a boot in the backside about their defensive efforts but we tend to boot one and make them a scape goat whilst overs continue to put the same efforts in.

English continues to be an issue he’s a small man in a big man’s body he doesn’t impose himself and so often can have an impact but doesn’t commit.

Also annoyed with the actions of some of the senior players such as Macrae and treloar who position themselves 15-20 metres from the kicker in non dangerous positions calling for the ball and halting our movement

We needed a proper second key defender, not two inexperienced third defenders, one who got bumped and turned inside out and failed to read balls, and another who basically didn't influence the game defensively at all.

I don't think it was total disaster. They played very well, they got Fyfe to turn back the clock which they basically won't have for any other game this season. We missed Libba. Umpiring was crap. It's a bit disappointing but it doesn't end our season or anything. Throw in the in-game Weightman injury as well, which threw our forward balance off.

Gallagher has run his race and gotten his development in you'd think the other wing types like Baker or Scott should get a game. We have to think long and hard about whether Keath or Gardner could get a crack again in defence.
Baker and Gardner, God no, we would actually achieve even greater regression.

Scott and Keath maybe.

Would like to see Buss and Cleary given a run on their form before Keath but would not be too upset if it went the other way.

It was amazing we were in the for 3 quarters. I do not think I have ever seen less effective player than Gallaher (maybe Arty Jones last season against Port) he had plenty of mates, Bramble, Macrae, Duryea, Harmes, Lobb, Caleb, Garcia, VDM, West did a couple nice things but was quite, Bont very average and less to be said about that miss the better.

Our best were Jones, Dale, Darcy, Astro and English except for his ruck work and lest said about the rest the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buss???

Maybe, but don't expect him to be a standout from his first game. He'll make a few mistakes and will need to get used to the pace of the seniors. He'll be good eventually but I hope the fans don't start piling on him and saying how sh*t he is the first time he concedes a goal.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games soon. I thought Keath was good in the VFL side today too.

I still have faith in Buku though. He and JOD have played only 16 & 15 career games before tonight. Unfortunately you just can't fast-track experience. It comes one game at a time. They'll have learned much more from tonight than they did from the pantsing of the Saints last week.

So who is our next coach? It's happening. Because if it doesn't, we'll be seeing tumbleweeds in the stands next year (if not later this year).

He is not paid 900k plus a year to present okay......fmd
What he is paid is not relevant. If he is going to continue to be played forward he is actually doing what he is capable of. This is his peak. He has never consistently dominated forward, never will, but he is at least moving

I actually would prefer him at half back but that is not happening with this coach and half of this board would also disagree.

There are about eight players each week who I have absolutely no idea what role they are picked to be playing.

I didn’t see much of Gallagher tonight, but what I did see was no good. Fumbly, messy and a bit vanilla like most of our bottom 6 players every game for the past 3 years.

Harmes
VDM
Just are not up to it! Play kids, let’s bottom out and give opportunity to build

Clarke, busslinger, Cleary all deserve a go! We need some energy in the side.

Garcia isn’t the answer but at least the little bugger has.a go!

Baker and Gardner, God no, we would actually achieve even greater regression.

Scott and Keath maybe.

Would like to see Buss and Cleary given a run on their form before Keath but would not be too upset if it went the other way.

I think it is Splitting hairs with Scott and Keath over Baker and Gardner. They are all about the same- not quite up to it.

Give Buss and Cleary a run and maybe we uncover something we didn’t know.

Hate to say it but Richards in the centre did not work tonight, just didn't have the impact he had last week. Would've liked to have seen Garcia and Macrae get a few more CBAs and even maybe throw West in there for a couple as well.

Centre Bounce Attendances
24 - Richards
22 - English, Treloar
20 - Bontempelli
8 - Macrae
3 - Darcy, Harmes
1 - Garcia, Lobb

Harmes
VDM
Just are not up to it! Play kids, let’s bottom out and give opportunity to build

Clarke, busslinger, Cleary all deserve a go! We need some energy in the side.

Garcia isn’t the answer but at least the little bugger has.a go!

No point bottoming out this year we don’t have a first round pick

Our inability to hold the ball in a forward line where Aaron Naughton is the only guy capable of applying forward pressure. Combined with the compulsion of our players to be drawn to every single contest en masse like flies on s**t will be the end of me.

To a certain extent the former is an issue of not really having guys whose natural game is to apply pressure. The latter is something that has to be coached. This is the point where I make a point that Ive made more often than I care to remember. Teams know to position players outside and wide of the contest because they know for certain that we will have multiple players hunting the ball. It just a matter of halving the contest, getting it wide and they're off to the races with nothing but a wide open midfield to work with.

Riddle me this batman. Why recruit Harmes a player of limited ability, but a reasonable reputation as a defensive stopper. And then not use that ability to stop one of the games all time greats as he he turned back the clock to his glory days?

I think we can put a line through Caleb Daniel. His one wood of clever dinky kicks and handpasses has completely deserted him and his lack of pace has exposed the flaws that those once papered over.

It's a good thing that Khamis has a few credits in the bank. He was horrendous tonight, so much so that It felt that Freo were playing through anybody he was standing. I dont think that we can carry he and Bramble in the same side. Both are liabilities with ball in hand.

Somebody give me a breakdown of CBA. It felt like it was all The Bont, Treloar and Richards to me.

Edit: It has been posted already. Why we reverted to type and went with only 3 for most of the game just beggars belief. Especially after what we saw last week.

Kicking 1-7 in the 3rd was a bit of a problem.

Maybe, but don't expect him to be a standout from his first game. He'll make a few mistakes and will need to get used to the pace of the seniors. He'll be good eventually but I hope the fans don't start piling on him and saying how sh*t he is the first time he concedes a goal.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games soon. I thought Keath was good in the VFL side today too.

I still have faith in Buku though. He and JOD have played only 16 & 15 career games before tonight. Unfortunately you just can't fast-track experience. It comes one game at a time. They'll have learned much more from tonight than they did from the pantsing of the Saints last week.
Keath certainly would have been better than Buku, maybe not JOD. Depends where we think we are at.

Would Keath have been better than Buss tonight, maybe but one has a potential higher ceiling and there is not much difference in their VFL form, both doing well

Surely Sanders would have been better than Bramble, Daniel, VDM, Gallagher and others tonight. Understand if he needed a rest or just wasn't meeting some pre-set criteria but he can't have done less than these guys did tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back