Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth a try to get a look at him.

We know what Gardner and Keath bring for better or worse. I don’t see it with Buku.

We need to persist with JOD for a bit to see how he develops.
It's not even that Keath or Gardner are better footballers than Khamis. It's just that we're playing Khamis to be a player that he isn't - he's not a one-on-one defensive stopper. He is too small physically, and he's not a naturally instinctive defender with how he misjudged balls in the air. That might be fine if he can zone off and rebound like he has over the last few weeks, but Keath and Gardner at least have the reach and weight behind them to have not let Treacy and Jackson win as much possession as they did.

2016 and 2021 are the only years we’ve gone past the first round of the finals under Bev.

The best footy moments of my life came in those two years, but what massive outliers they feel like after constantly underperforming.

Shocking game to watch made worse by the horrific decision making and skill errors.

I think we all know it’s likely Bev gets the boot if we don’t make the eight and on performances like tonight we won’t. We’ll no doubt slam so lower ranked sides and pull the odd upset but will likely fall short.

I just hope we ditch the list cloggers going forward. I don’t know what Harmes, Bramble et al were ever meant to add.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but Richards in the centre did not work tonight, just didn't have the impact he had last week. Would've liked to have seen Garcia and Macrae get a few more CBAs and even maybe throw West in there for a couple as well.

Centre Bounce Attendances
24 - Richards
22 - English, Treloar
20 - Bontempelli
8 - Macrae
3 - Darcy, Harmes
1 - Garcia, Lobb
Think Richards was ok (but not great), just not enough rotations. Can't expect the same four to achieve good results every time. Have to mix it up to get different outcomes.

Here’s the problem - everyone is right.

The new players aren’t good enough. Shock horror - they’re draftees or rejects from other clubs.

The list isn’t good enough. Baffling considering the team has basically been in contention for a decade.

The coaching is poor. It’s actually abysmal imo, it’s preventing a decent list from at least competing.

Bevo. Thank you but please leave. Now.

Hate to say it but Richards in the centre did not work tonight, just didn't have the impact he had last week. Would've liked to have seen Garcia and Macrae get a few more CBAs and even maybe throw West in there for a couple as well.

24 - Richards
22 - English, Treloar
20 - Bontempelli
8 - Macrae
3 - Darcy, Harmes
1 - Garcia, Lobb

This is one of our issues most weeks we use the same 4 players in 80% of our centre bounces whether things are going well or atrociously.

Never mix it up to address something or attempt to address an imbalance

What he is paid is not relevant. If he is going to continue to be played forward he is actually doing what he is capable of. This is his peak. He has never consistently dominated forward, never will, but he is at least moving

I actually would prefer him at half back but that is not happening with this coach and half of this board would also disagree.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coach has nailed his colours to the mast. It’s 3 tall forwards, even though it’s never worked and English all the way in the middle.

We let the opposition stand by themselves forward of the ball with the extra in the contest.

When th ball is in the forward line we over commit forward, hence to easy goals out the back.

No one can question him, doesn’t seem like the board cares that we keep making the same mistakes

We needed a proper second key defender, not two inexperienced third defenders, one who got bumped and turned inside out and failed to read balls, and another who basically didn't influence the game defensively at all.

I don't think it was total disaster. They played very well, they got Fyfe to turn back the clock which they basically won't have for any other game this season. We missed Libba. Umpiring was crap. It's a bit disappointing but it doesn't end our season or anything. Throw in the in-game Weightman injury as well, which threw our forward balance off.

Gallagher has run his race and gotten his development in you'd think the other wing types like Baker or Scott should get a game. We have to think long and hard about whether Keath or Gardner could get a crack again in defence.
I think Fyfe may go again.
We all love the bont obviously,but he's a poor man's Fyfe,
If Bont can go to Fyfe levels our club will seriously go somewhere.

It's not even that Keath or Gardner are better footballers than Khamis. It's just that we're playing Khamis to be a player that he isn't - he's not a one-on-one defensive stopper. He is too small physically, and he's not a naturally instinctive defender with how he misjudged balls in the air. That might be fine if he can zone off and rebound like he has over the last few weeks, but Keath and Gardner at least have the reach and weight behind them to have not let Treacy and Jackson win as much possession as they did.
And have the worst transition from defence in the AFL again. Keath at least has some attacking attributes, defenders should at least ne able to mark and spoil

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So as normal the coach not putting players in a position to excel. Bevo the issue.

That other blonde bloke did okay last week. Small sample size
Your aware he’s led the goalkicking at the club for the past 2 and a half years, averages the most score involvements out of all our forwards in the past 4 years and taken the best defender since his first game as a forward.

Not sure what’s this “small sample size” you’re referring to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Marra is back so we can say goodbye to Lobb again who did absolutely nothing tonight.

Glad he put in a good audition in front of the saints last week though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Buku will survive the week. He shouldn't, but he will. He was genuinely poor in every contest and not clean on the ground balls.

Clarke surely comes in for weightman. We have nobody else that resembles a small forward and if not now, then not ever.

Libba to come in for another out, possibly bramble and shift the defence around.

Lobby for JUH if available.

We were outplayed everywhere tonight and if not for Jones it would've been double the lead. They're a genuinely bog average side which makes It feel like a 10 goal loss.

Was a tough watch. Didn't look good all night but the game was still there to be won with 5 minutes to go. If we were able to play close to our best footy for 10-15 minutes during any part of the night we probably could have got a match winning lead but it never came.

2.7 in the third definitely hurt. That was our chance and we squandered it. Not sure how Bont can hit targets from 55 metres away between defenders but can't kick 15-20m set shots. It's bizarre.
It's likely the single biggest reason Bont probably never wins a Brownlow is his inability to kick goals to put the polish on his work. Which is pretty sad as he is good enough to win one.

True. But I can’t see what position Buku is natural fit for. Fantastic skills just not a great footballer. Another Lewis Young or Josh Schache I fear.

Keath is at the end, Gardner is limited.

Buss needs to be given a run to see what he has got.

2016 and 2021 are the only years we’ve gone past the first round of the finals under Bev.

The best footy moments of my life came in those two years, but what massive outliers they feel like after constantly underperforming.
You could make a case for a couple of past years underperforming, I’m not sure you can for most though. We’re just not that good (coaching or list).

24 - Richards
22 - English, Treloar
20 - Bontempelli
8 - Macrae
3 - Darcy, Harmes
1 - Garcia, Lobb
4 total CBAs for Harmes and Garcia is ridiculous considering they’re midfielders. Makes no sense why we have Harmes if we don’t actually use him in the middle when opposition have control

Our midfield structure is an absolute disgrace. They destroyed. We are second to the ball constantly. Tim doesn’t freaking jump at the ball ever! How many times do you want to allow serong and Fyfe a clear run at the ball.

When we do win it, we either slip over, hand pass it back to them or bugger it up somehow. Sick of it!

and if we sack Bevo our midfield coach will be senior coach NO NO NO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back