Rd 7 Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I note that Harley Reid is being managed (rested) this week. Eagles coach said he was showing signs of fatigue (from match metrics and/or biometrics) despite his good recent form.

It could be very similar to what Sanders is going through (hard to tell) but the messaging from the two clubs is definitely different.

Will Sanders play this week in the practice match or is he being rested?
Kornes, Carowhine, Barrett & co must be salty at Simpson for resting Reid so they couldn’t pile into Bevo for mishandling Sanders, and then blindly suggesting Sanders has asked his manager to shop around (remember when they all said this about JUH!!!)

That Freo forward line is one of the worst I’ve ever seen for an afl team, other than Walters getting his usual couple of goals after staging it’s hard to see where they’re coming from. Because they’re such little threat forward it’s a great opportunity to go quick and use the corridor more, if it’s a slow defensive game Freo are in their element.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh dear, this reminds me of the chat pre the WCE game by the Freo fans......WCE forward line looked rubbish on paper, yet Waterman(of all players) kicked 6 to lead WCE to victory....hopefully WBD much vaunted forward line can find similar success then.

I note that Harley Reid is being managed (rested) this week. Eagles coach said he was showing signs of fatigue (from match metrics and/or biometrics) despite his good recent form.

It could be very similar to what Sanders is going through (hard to tell) but the messaging from the two clubs is definitely different.

Will Sanders play this week in the practice match or is he being rested?
It's possible, even likely, that fatigue is a factor, however I'd also off the following.

I think Sanders has had a very good look at it in his first few games. And by that I mean what is required to be a successful team/player at this level (a level that is very far above anything that he's played in to date in terms of speed and intensity).

When you think about his exposure thus far, he's played against arguably the best midfield in the competition in Round 1 and been pantsed by them. He had Bont and Libba (2 elite players in the competition) beside him but it wasn't enough. An illustration of how hard your opponents are going to work for each other off the ball to give each other that yard of space they need to make a difference at this level. It's not all about possessions, a lot of it is about finding a way to give your team mate that extra yard of space to do their thing. I don't think he's up to speed on that yet. There are lines to run, physical impacts to be made, decisions to be made under white pressure.

Defensively, that white hot pressure has to be brought to bare on opponents, consistently and relentlessly.

Geelong and Essendon were lessons again. Essendon shut down Bont and no-one, including him, could do anything to give him that yard he needed. Geelong were also very competitive there.

He's had a really good look at what it takes and I think there's merit in that exposure. However, now we have to win games and he's not displacing any of Bont, Libba, Macrae or Treloar. Richards is an exciting spanner in the works and Garcia has worked very hard, is more seasoned and more ready at this stage.

Seems like a good time to give him a block of consolidation and reflection in the VFL. Some of those aspects that are missing in his game at AFL level can be his priority development focus at VFL level and he'll be the better for it. Inevitably we'll get injuries and possibly form fluctuations in the seniors and opportunities will be available.

The opportunity for him now is to prove his grit and determination credentials and to address the issues that will have been identified to the point where he forces his way back in.

Court........ball

It's possible, even likely, that fatigue is a factor, however I'd also off the following.

I think Sanders has had a very good look at it in his first few games. And by that I mean what is required to be a successful team/player at this level (a level that is very far above anything that he's played in to date in terms of speed and intensity).

When you think about his exposure thus far, he's played against arguably the best midfield in the competition in Round 1 and been pantsed by them. He had Bont and Libba (2 elite players in the competition) beside him but it wasn't enough. An illustration of how hard your opponents are going to work for each other off the ball to give each other that yard of space they need to make a difference at this level. It's not all about possessions, a lot of it is about finding a way to give your team mate that extra yard of space to do their thing. I don't think he's up to speed on that yet. There are lines to run, physical impacts to be made, decisions to be made under white pressure.

Defensively, that white hot pressure has to be brought to bare on opponents, consistently and relentlessly.

Geelong and Essendon were lessons again. Essendon shut down Bont and no-one, including him, could do anything to give him that yard he needed. Geelong were also very competitive there.

He's had a really good look at what it takes and I think there's merit in that exposure. However, now we have to win games and he's not displacing any of Bont, Libba, Macrae or Treloar. Richards is an exciting spanner in the works and Garcia has worked very hard, is more seasoned and more ready at this stage.

Seems like a good time to give him a block of consolidation and reflection in the VFL. Some of those aspects that are missing in his game at AFL level can be his priority development focus at VFL level and he'll be the better for it. Inevitably we'll get injuries and possibly form fluctuations in the seniors and opportunities will be available.

The opportunity for him now is to prove his grit and determination credentials and to address the issues that will have been identified to the point where he forces his way back in.

Court........ball

Good summary, Sanders was good today vs academy but I think he stays in vfl for a couple more weeks then has another crack in firsts

That's fine then - my comment was made because you used tackles and backwards running as evidence. As you say here there are other factors that the coaches have clearly taken issue with.

To your last sentences, as well as the following post:

I ask this - what is more likely:
  1. That Beveridge, who for all his faults is often regarded as understanding and defensive of his players to a fault, is taking complete control of the match committee, and subbing/dropping a 19 year old to "show he is the boss" and "teach him a lesson?" OR;
  2. Rightly or wrongly, the coaches (note: collectively) are seeing some habits and decisions that run counter to our team structure that maybe aren't evident to those not coaching the team?
I think you're done with our coach (same!) and are seeing what you want to see, personally.

Too many can only see things one way with no objectivity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You do realise the word defensive is a blanket term for many things? His tackle numbers are one thing. But positioning in stoppages and at center bounces is just as critical. Sanders has been caught out of position a few times at center bounces and opponents have ran right past him.

And his high disposal efficiency has been slightly inflated by hand passes and playing it safe with short kicks. I'd like to see him back himself to take the game on and be a touch more aggressive with the ball.

Casual football fans get caught to much in pure stats and don't understand roles and stuff people do off the ball etc. With Libba back, Bont and Treloar on fire, and Macrae getting time in the middle again. His growth will be stunted by getting limited exposure. He needs full game time in the middle. I'm a big fan of his and wanted us to draft him soon as the season ended.

Some fans on social media complaining how other teams first round picks are getting time. Well most of those teams are s**t, or they are given easy outside or half back roles. Sanders is a pure inside type and that's probably the hardest position to come in as a rookie outside key forward/defender.

Making a common sense post like this is probably wasted, but well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back