Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was Luke Cleary I’d be absolutely filthy with how I’ve been coached as a professional footballer. The very few go’s this kid has got, he’s looked alright, but has never had an extended run at it. And he has had to watch other players, especially these mature age plodders get numerous games of mediocrity. Bendendo too and there are probably others, I don’t get to see enough VFL. Garcia and West finally getting a go. Remember VDM played in the grand final but not Richards or West! But I’d rather try these guys for an extended run and then delist if not up to it. Rather than 3 years of one game a year rubbish. And as a fan I’d rather lose with a potential good kid?? than known list clogger…and still lose.

There's no discernable craft. No gameplan. Week-in, week-out it's a bunch of footballers just playing manic, incohesive mish-mash.

Imagine they had some off-field leadership
This is it. You look at a GWS or Carlton and you can see the structure and gameplan which is why they are so consistent.

Our scattergun fly by the seat of our pants offensive movement is a joke, ending in our bombing to a pack of 8 players which if someone doesn't take a ripping contested mark the ball is slingshotting out and we're on the backfoot again.

Beveridge needs to just hang them up.

This is it. You look at a GWS or Carlton and you can see the structure and gameplan which is why they are so consistent.

Our scattergun fly by the seat of our pants offensive movement is a joke, ending in our bombing to a pack of 8 players which if someone doesn't take a ripping contested mark the ball is slingshotting out and we're on the backfoot again.

Beveridge needs to just hang them up.

You missed the fact all our forwards are mute. I figure that's why they all fly for the same mark.

If I was Luke Cleary I’d be absolutely filthy with how I’ve been coached as a professional footballer. The very few go’s this kid has got, he’s looked alright, but has never had an extended run at it. And he has had to watch other players, especially these mature age plodders get numerous games of mediocrity. Bendendo too and there are probably others, I don’t get to see enough VFL. Garcia and West finally getting a go. Remember VDM played in the grand final but not Richards or West! But I’d rather try these guys for an extended run and then delist if not up to it. Rather than 3 years of one game a year rubbish. And as a fan I’d rather lose with a potential good kid?? than known list clogger…and still lose.

There seems to be a huge inconsistency in the standard some players are held to in terms of their ‘readiness’ to play seniors. Bevo will sometimes emphatically say x player isn’t ready while simultaneously playing some limited plodder. You can be cute and evasive when you consistently win games against good opposition, otherwise it just seems divisive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Spanked in the middle and players who should be clean weren't. Scored against badly on the turnover which were often unforced errors or coughed up disposal under little pressure.

The tall forwards not separating nearly enough although I think that our mostly slow entries I50 doesn't do a lot to encourage separation as the 50 is often congested by the time we go inside.

On the plus side, Richards showed a few times that his pace can/could be an ongoing weapon through the middle after just his second run through there. Continuous exposure for him there seems like a must to me.

Darcy has good composure about him despite his tender years. Competitive and very obviously skilled.

I reckon Bont was caught in 2 minds as to whether to kick that goal with his right or left. Shoulda gone right.

VDM was good I thought. Aggressive defensively and moved the ball quickly I50 when he could.

Gallagher needs a spell in the twos. Probably a week too late.

Besides Sam Darcy and Liam Jones there isn’t really anything that you could tick off as a win last night. Tbh probably them two, Liber and Treloar are the only positives for the whole season.

I don’t get the Richards into the midfield move. Why lose your best running defender to gain a fourth best midfielder?
Pace in the middle, offensively and defensively. Where do we need that pace more, through the middle or out of D50? Personally, I think we need it through the middle more if a choice has to be made between the two.

Our club has accepted mediocrity and the fans are the one that have to pay (literally).

No ambitious club would have re-signed Bevo after that West Coast loss. Writings been on the wall for years.
Except he was resigned well before the West Coast loss

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Such as frustrating game, really missed Libba, but our bottom talent was just awful tonight. Gallagher and Lobb in particular and I wasn’t impressed with either of Harmes and Daniel.

Darcy was excellent for 3 quarters but was clearly tired in the last, Garcia and West also did some nice things but that West inside 50 in the last was horrible.

-30 in scores for turnover was the game in the end and we just handed it to them time and time again and often under no pressure.
West failed to chase his man defensively a couple of times, resulting in an overlap and inside 50. he hedges that we'll win it back too often. unfortunately i dont have confidence in our coaching to address this

Out of interest, why is Daniel cooked? He is only 27 and most players are in their prime at this age.
Daniel is cooked as he has no position in which he can effectively play. At half back he is exploited for lack of height. Midfield he is brushed aside. Half forward doesn't have the pace to run defensively. And his ball handling has deserted him.
It's his lack of a role which has put pressure on his ball handling to the point where he has crumbled mentally. Don't see how he can overcome his shortcomings has been workef out
And doesn't have an outstanding physical attribute to overcome it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we go back to Macrae, Daniel, Lobb playing in the VFL please. Media dont know s**t and neither do some fans
Add Duryea it's sad but it's true.
Last night was made for these 3 in the slippery dew.And were all mostly unsure ,nervous and ineffective.
Even JJ making basic errors.
These are our so called experienced players.Making basic very basic errors.
Though l am not too critical of last night.Most players put in effort.And near marks near goals .Buku could not hold one the whole night.Could have given him a rest for Buss in his home state.

That press conference wow.

So Garcia was the sub prior to Libba being sick. He would have be in our top dozen players against the Saints. So what does this say about selection?

Beveridge constantly used the wording in both the pressser and Members Brief about being in hostile territory and against a team that had been stung. He is using excuses.

Apparently we did try something in the middle we sent Daniel to Serong but Daniel didn’t have a single centre bounce attendance? Serongs best asset is his clearance work so how does someone coming off the wing or HFF to take him post stoppage help?

Talking about a couple of key moments costing us late. We were lucky to be so close. The most disappointing thing being that the margin blew out late, the margin ended up where it realistically should have been.

The bloke has to go but I don’t expect us to move at all on him tell at least the end of the year but based on the interaction between he, Baines and KWW after the saints game in the tunnel I suspect we are stuck with him for the contract at least.

Its pretty simple,

when you have 5 or 6 ordinary players, making regular mistakes, you lose more games like that than you win.

i dont mind when the mistakes come from high upside talent, but thats less often the case for us, its the Brambles, VDM, Harmes, Doc, Buku types i dont like.

i can handle mistakes from Gags, Sanders, JOD, Garcia

I'm still wondering why we got Harmes - he's shown an ability to play as a defensive mid/HHF, Fyfe was killing and and Serong racked up clearances.
Why on Earth didn't we send Harmes to one of them?
If we nailed more of the 1 goals 7 in the third (prior to the siren) and put in a little bit of time to either Fyfe or Serong, we win that.

For a $1m captain to fluff a 5m set shot is unforgiveable. Forget the bottom 6 blokes scratching a career on base salary, our leaders need to stand up when the heat is on.

Gave us a big wrap last week deservedly and will give us a big bake this week deservedly.

Pathetic from opening bounce.

Broken tackles all night
s**t goal kicking
Poor at clearances
No pressure all night

We hung in because freo are crap. Fyfe has been cooked for 2 years, could only do that against us.

How much longer do we have to watch vdm play. Last quarter crucial moment didn't kick to open player killed us it's mccomb, honeychurch, gardiner, roarke all over again. Pls lord have mercy on us.

Harmes so disappointing.
buku I'm a big fan but wow horrendous tonight
Caleb justified why he has been dropped
Naughton from brilliant to dropped everything

Bont u r in discussions for the GOAT but wow to miss that kick I was gutted

If I look for positives

Jones saved about 8 goals
JOD some great marks have to persist
Darcy on track

Clearly watching this rubbish....things aren't right. Times up bevo. We need a new voice
you could tell from bonts facial expression that when the umpire moved the mark half a metre inside where he actually marked it that he was anxious, i knew then there was a good chance he'd miss it

That press conference wow.

So Garcia was the sub prior to Libba being sick. He would have be in our top dozen players against the Saints. So what does this say about selection?

Beveridge constantly used the wording in both the pressser and Members Brief about being in hostile territory and against a team that had been stung. He is using excuses.

Apparently we did try something in the middle we sent Daniel to Serong but Daniel didn’t have a single centre bounce attendance? Serongs best asset is his clearance work so how does someone coming off the wing or HFF to take him post stoppage help?

Talking about a couple of key moments costing us late. We were lucky to be so close. The most disappointing thing being that the margin blew out late, the margin ended up where it realistically should have been.

The bloke has to go but I don’t expect us to move at all on him tell at least the end of the year but based on the interaction between he, Baines and KWW after the saints game in the tunnel I suspect we are stuck with him for the contract at least.
so Bevo's mastermind move was to use an out of sorts daniel as a tagger

Aside from Bont's howler in front of goals there were a lot more facepalm motions which resulted in turnovers and Freo goals

2.7 in the 3rd was the nail in the coffin IMO

My take on this game for what it’s worth.

1. It was a tough, high standard game where Freo, inspired after an embarrassing loss, brought their A game.

2. The umpires turned in an old fashioned biased effort towards the home WA team in an interstate clash. This had a big impact on proceedings.

3. Despite the above, we played pretty well and stuck at it, though ultimately came up short.

4. Had we kicked straighter, made a few less mistakes, then we might still have gotten the chocolates over a good team with a strong interstate home ground advantage.

Points 1 to 4 mean that despite the loss there is no need to panic. We are playing ok, just keep tweaking and trying to improve each week.

5. Bulldog specific observations:

Daniel is down on confidence. Like Dale and Duryea he can get it back, but could do with some support right now.

Buku and Bramble both struggled under pressure last night and it was costly.

Keath is apparently playing well in the VFL, so could be time to bring him back.

Don’t forget we were without Libba and Marra, plus lost Cody early through injury.

Last edited:
So Bevo’s game plan was to use Daniel as defensive mid but not starting Daniel in the midfield while also not using the player that was also specifically bought in to be a defensive mid as not a defensive mid.

How can anyone defend this guy?

And game may of passed Daniel but he is not being given the best chance to prove himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back