News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I won't be contributing to this while my ass points to the ground. The CFL thinks about our money that we give to the club like it's their own. They literally do and I know this to be a fact. There is no guarantee the CFL won't effectively just take some of this donated money by giving us even less distribution than they do now. The CFL cannot be trusted.

With inflation, this "$60 million redevelopment" thats been in the works for ages will turn into a fancy barbeque area.

we all knew this was going to blow out and we all knew that members need to cough up and pay. i shook cans in the day donated a fair chuck of money. if we are to stay rock solid dig into your pockets.
we are not raising $35 mill

$2-3 mill max

BxB.jpg

$1200 to get your name briefly flashed on an aldi TV near the dunnies, sign me up!
This is marketing genius ...
thank you baby Jesus for blessing us with the whole think tank that is Swimburne ... clearly we couldn't have come up with this otherwise ...

how much to have enough bricks to build my own seat in the new grandstand??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

digital honour board 🤣🤣🤣

how about you save millions and just make a massive traditional honour board that everyone would appreciate way more
Names on bricks and you could add a zero to those numbers and I’m serious ,,,,deadly serious , digital is bs, literally

BxB.jpg

$1200 to get your name briefly flashed on an aldi TV near the dunnies, sign me up!
Strong & Bold.jpg Years ago I was wandering through Southland and I came across a pop up sales display marketing what would eventually become this. I didn't especially want it and I certainly didn't want to pay that much (it was like around the 150 dollar mark) but went ahead and pre-ordered it anyhow. Why? Because part of the deal was my family and I could submit a photo and we would all be part of a picture collage near the back of the volume. That's what sold it and now I have it on display with a whole lot of other Richmond stuff. Now if the guy had said 'oh we will upload your photo to a website' I would have laughed my head off and walked away.

For people, many of whom are at best indifferent to the development, the idea that you are going to squeeze hundreds out of them with the promise of being on a 'digital honour board' is beyond stupid. For that kind of money, it needs to be something tangible, something that you can either see at the ground or something that you can take home like a personalised brick with a photo of the old stand.

Anyhow no doubt the techno savvy snotty nosed kid who came up with the concept will argue that anything that can't be wiped out by a computer virus is by definition outdated and doesn't appeal to the youth of today. Well guess what? It aint the youth that's got most of the money, it's older supporters that do. And most older members will want something real that they can show their kids and so on through the generations, especially when tearing down the old stand invites so many mixed feelings. Frankly I will be amazed if they get anywhere near what they are targeting.They will certainly have to do better than a 'digital honour board' to get any of my money.

Last edited:
View attachment 1968872 Years ago I was wandering through Southland and I came across a pop up sales display marketing what would eventually become this. I didn't especially want it and I certainly didn't want to pay that much (it was like around the 150 dollar mark) but went ahead and pre-ordered it anyhow. Why? Because part of the deal was my family and I could submit a photo and we would all be part of a picture collage near the back of the volume. That's what sold it and now I have it on display with a whole lot of other Richmond stuff. Now if the guy had said 'oh we will upload your photo to a website' I would have laughed my head off and walked away.

For people, many of whom are at best indifferent to the development, the idea that you are going to squeeze hundreds out of them with the promise of being on a 'digital honour board' is beyond stupid. For that kind of money, it needs to be something tangible, something that you can either see at the ground or something that you can take home like a personalised brick with a photo of the old stand.

Anyhow no doubt the techno savvy snotty nosed kid who came up with the concept will argue that anything that can't be wiped out by a computer virus is by definition outdated and doesn't appeal to the youth of today. Well guess what? It aint the youth that's got most of the money, it's older supporters that do. And most older members will want something real that they can show their kids and so on through the generations, especially when tearing down the old stand invites so many mixed feelings. Frankly I will be amazed if they get anywhere near what they are targeting.They will certainly have to do better than a 'digital honour board' to get any of my money.
Speaking on behalf of anyone contributing I hardly do it for the certificate , I don’t know whether you’re underestimating us or im underestimating you .its a bit like saying you don’t ever go in a raffle coz you never win , you don’t say that do ya

Ask not what the RFC can do for you , what can you do for the RFC

We’re debt free right? The club should borrow some money like every other farker, hit the coteries and top end of town donors then come back to the rank and file.

Club needs to show us they’ve exhausted every possible avenue first instead of asking for another handout from the members.

Speaking on behalf of anyone contributing I hardly do it for the certificate , I don’t know whether you’re underestimating us or im underestimating you .its a bit like saying you don’t ever go in a raffle coz you never win , you don’t say that do ya

Ask not what the RFC can do for you , what can you do for the RFC
Firstly, I appreciate you quoting JFK, '"Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”. However, it's the club that is dangling the carrot of the wonderous and amazing 'digital honour board' not me. I'm simply pointing out that as an enticement it is incredibly lame.

Also, I think you need to appreciate that not all of us are totally onboard with demolishing the Jack Dyer Stand. Being asked to donate hundreds for something that so many feel ambiguous at best about is a very hard sell. Offering at least something, a part of it's history that can be physically owned might be enough to get many over the line.

And finally, I am not underestimating myself at all. The cost of all of my family's membership subscriptions both in Australia and the US is already a donation as none of us due to the distances involved can attend matches. That's fine, but hundreds more to destroy a stand whose demolition we are not particularly invested in, well that's another matter. We'll need a little more enticement than that....

We’re debt free right? The club should borrow some money like every other farker, hit the coteries and top end of town donors then come back to the rank and file.

Club needs to show us they’ve exhausted every possible avenue first instead of asking for another handout from the members.

They’ve already done what you’re asking and explained it, they have raised plenty from our top end of town donors and are going into debt again.

They’ve already done what you’re asking and explained it, they have raised plenty from our top end of town donors and are going into debt again.
I don't mind going into debt. At the end of the day the CFL will have to foot the bill if it all turns to custard.

Firstly, I appreciate you quoting JFK, '"Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”. However, it's the club that is dangling the carrot of the wonderous and amazing 'digital honour board' not me. I'm simply pointing out that as an enticement it is incredibly lame.

Also, I think you need to appreciate that not all of us are totally onboard with demolishing the Jack Dyer Stand. Being asked to donate hundreds for something that so many feel ambiguous at best about is a very hard sell. Offering at least something, a part of it's history that can be physically owned might be enough to get many over the line.

And finally, I am not underestimating myself at all. The cost of all of my family's membership subscriptions both in Australia and the US is already a donation as none of us due to the distances involved can attend matches. That's fine, but hundreds more to destroy a stand whose demolition we are not particularly invested in, well that's another matter. We'll need a little more enticement than that....
You’re entitled to your position, i for one are a great supporter of heritage Victoria however I do not see the merit in this case and I agree with the stance that the heritage that should be preserved is the RFC (est 1885) being located on this site for eternity and for that to be realized we need to be progressive. Sure the club could pull some diff levers in marketing the campaign but ultimately supporters or contributors need to buy into Richmond being in Richmond forever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back